** Going to Taipei in February-any suggestions? **

1,310 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by stardustag
Oak Forest Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ms. 82 Ag and I will be in Taiwan (Taipei) for six nights, arriving 2/15 and departing 2/21.

Any suggestions as to must see and must do?

Hotel ideas? (we prefer mid-range to luxury).

Thanks!
Oak Forest Ag
AG
Anyone?
87AustinAg
AG
I use to travel to Taiwan once or twice a year on business. Never had issues staying busy or active.
Usually stayed at Howard Plaza - good location and price - SOGO and other shopping areas and restaurants within walking distance

Taipei 101
Hiking / Mountains
Thermal Baths
Museums
Night Market
Monster Ice
Din Tai Feng for dumplings (one in SOGO and 101)

I Play With Guns
S
If you can swing it, fly business on EVA.

Easily the best business class flight of my life!!!!!
Oak Forest Ag
AG
I Play With Guns said:

If you can swing it, fly business on EVA.

Easily the best business class flight of my life!!!!!
Thanks, we are flying United in Polaris Class on the new 1-2-1 configuration. Using global upgrades.

I would love to try Eva Air one day, and I think they are Star Alliance.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
87AustinAg said:

I use to travel to Taiwan once or twice a year on business. Never had issues staying busy or active.
Usually stayed at Howard Plaza - good location and price - SOGO and other shopping areas and restaurants within walking distance

Taipei 101
Hiking / Mountains
Thermal Baths
Museums
Night Market
Monster Ice
Din Tai Feng for dumplings (one in SOGO and 101)

Din Tai Fung is the best! I've been to seven of their locations in Asia and Los Angeles, and have never left anything left than stuffed and happy!
87AustinAg
AG
I agree with the EVA suggestion. Also, their Premium Economy product is equivalent to a United Domestic Business class seat.

United Polaris is nice as well but still could be a little wider when compared to foreign airline business class seats. Just an FYI Polaris Lounge is not open yet in SF if that is your connection point.
Oak Forest Ag
AG
87AustinAg said:

Just an FYI Polaris Lounge is not open yet in SF if that is your connection point.

Crap....I was hoping to see how different it is from the United Club and the First Class lounge.

We fly out 2/14 so perhaps they will have it ready by then?
CalTex
Hey 82 Ag,
My wife is from Taiwan, here are some things she recommends. She did leave TW in 2002 and only goes back once a year on business for a few weeks, so keep that in mind, things may have changed a bit.

For hotel, she recommends Taipei Marriott (No. 199 Lequn 2nd Road -- intersecting Jinye 4th Rd), ZhongShan District,, Taipei 10462 Taiwan). She said that it is very new, modern/luxurious and a in a good location. Howard Plaza is decent but older, not as modern.

I'm sure you know Chinese New Year is on Feb 16th (most businesses close on CNY's eve until the 2nd or 3rd day of CNY.....Yellow cab charges double/triple)

Must visits:
Taipei 101 (There is a Din Tai Fung inside of Taipei 101)
Jiufen
Tamsui old street (don't forget to eat "Agei")
Shilin night market
Raohe night market
National Palace Museum

Must eats:
Din Tai Fung
Food in night market (Taiwanese snacks:stinky tofu, home of boba milk tea, oyster omelet...)

Transportation:
Metro rail and walking are the best transportation
MRT from airport to Taipei city and day pass in the city
https://eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0024036
http://english.metro.taipei/ct.asp?xItem=1056373&CtNode=70241&mp=122036

Helpful websites:
https://eng.taiwan.net.tw/

Free wifi for foreign visitors: https://itaiwan.taiwan.net.tw/

If you have any other questions, want more details, feel free to ask. She will be more than happy to help.

Gig 'em!
stardustag
AG
Sounds like you'll be there for CNY (Chinese New Year), which is good and bad at the same time. Let me explain.

I was born in Taiwan, and i took my wife and our 1yo to Taiwan for CNY last year (2017).

The good thing is, everything is more festive during CNY time, so you'll see a lot more. The bad thing is, everything is a lot more expensive. For example, hotel price can double or triple easily. Also, please note, folks are usually off work for a week or more starting on CNY's eve. So if you are thinking about going around the island during that time, rental car will be next to impossible to find (we tried and failed miserably), train tickets will be difficult to find unless you get lucky, etc. Feel free to PM me with more questions if you have any of this.

Since you are going to be in Taiwan for a little while, I do recommend leaving Taipei for a few days, although you can find plenty of things to do in Taipei alone. One thing I haven't seen brought up as recommendation is going to Beitou Hot Spring district. It's in Taipei (reachable by MRT). Find a hotel there and enjoy the hot springs... worth the trip!

If you decide to go outside of Taipei, the High Speed train/rail can get you to places on the west coast fairly fast (you'll be amazed by the speed). If you want to go to the east coast, which we did and had a blast (do some research there if you like), trains are harder to come by but you can make it work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.