The Hillary Step on Mt. Everest is gone.

9,761 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Spore Ag
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a friend who has been out at EBC the past few weeks and he is saying that the reports coming down from the summit teams are the the Hillary Step is mostly gone. The Step was a vertical rock face that is basically the last major hurdle before the main summit. It has been a bad bottleneck area as the crowds on Everest have grown because its basically a one way path up and down leading to long lines. Its something like 10-12m straight up. He is saying that the rock face is basically gone, most likely destroyed during the Nepal Earthquakes last year and that instead of a vertical climb it is now another steep snow ramp.

Before:

After:

Furlock Bones
AG
probably has to do with climate change so how.
Hulla Baller
AG
Thanks mother nature?
Phat32
AG
I can't find anything on this anywhere...do you have any sources?

Only link I can find for summit teams is this:

http://canadajournal.net/world/climbers-near-everest-summit-first-time-three-years-47376-2016/

They mention the Hillary Step and nothing about its disappearance. Not doubting your buddy's story, but just weird that no one else would mention it as it's one of the biggest obstacles in mountaineering.
wangus12
AG
Like I said, its all info being passed down from the high camps that the Step is gone.The first sherpas set rope lines last week and were the first up there. The first expeditions are starting to hit this week so soon we will know more. That photo was take by David Liano, a mountaineering blogger who summited end of last week. Waiting for his report. There is the possibility of it being covered in ridiculously deep snow. But the photo definitely makes it look like its gone.
Phat32
AG
Being on that ridge must be terrifying. 5K ft drop on either side easy.
BMX Bandit
Looked fine over the weekend
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:

After:

The two images are from different times of day and have different snow cover. Not great images to compare. No way to tell with the shadowing and snow cover if it is there or not. Hopefully someone would have better proof than that. If no better proof sounds like a stupid internet click story.
AggieOO
quote:
quote:

After:

The two images are from different times of day and have different snow cover. Not great images to compare. No way to tell with the shadowing and snow cover if it is there or not. Hopefully someone would have better proof than that. If no better proof sounds like a stupid internet click story.

This
Tabasco
AG
I'm here now and this is overblown. It's not gone, there is just a dusting of fresh powder over the rock embankment. I paid a Sherpa an extra 15k over my 60k expedition fee to carry me up on a "backpack chair" that I developed and plan to patent/sell for this type of thing. I think it has been flawless, but my Sherpa has some complaints (mellinial!). I was pleasantly surprised that they have a permenant wifi hotspot 20m below the top, that puts out a surprisingly good signal considering the remote location. Just did a speed test and got 10M up, 1.5M down
Player To Be Named Later
AG
What difference does it make?
wangus12
AG
Just got an email from him. The team he is visiting left the south summit an hour ago and the step was just covered. Glad to hear Everest isn't falling apart.
wangus12
AG
Picture they just sent down from the step.

Ag CPA
AG
DamageDone
AG
quote:

Soft shell turtles
ColoradoMooseHerd
quote:
Just got an email from him. The team he is visiting left the south summit an hour ago and the step was just covered. Glad to hear Everest isn't falling apart.
Crisis Diverted.
Cancelled
AG
Damn! Krakauer was just gearing up for another book.
Furlock Bones
AG
Everest is batting .750 right now. 3 deaths in 4 days.
Potcake
AG
quote:
Everest is batting .750 right now. 3 deaths in 4 days.

Now 4 and two missing. I suppose I don't see the appeal to do this.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/22/asia/everest-climbing-deaths/index.html
CrottyKid
AG
If I had no wife and kids, I would try it.
AggieOO
i completely understand the appeal. but my single days are over, so I'll never attempt it.
Phat32
AG
It is a monster. The issues with altitude cannot be overstated. I've been to the North Side ABC, about 22-22.5K feet IIRC. Can't imagine another 7K in elevation.

"Because it is there" - George Hillary
wangus12
AG
quote:
i completely understand the appeal. but my single days are over, so I'll never attempt it.
I will eventually attempt it, but it will be one of my last expeditions.
Spore Ag
Had a strong desire but with the cost, time and tremendous crowds decided on other ventures on this good earth.
aeroag14
AG
I have always found mountaineering to be fascinating and interesting. It is something that I have always thought would appeal to me. But I also think it is something that I will never do, at least on the scale of Everest or any of the other big boys.

That said, I have long had an interest with mountains. Particularly, I have always been fascinated by the Karakoram. While I doubt I will ever attempt to climb any of the mountains in the Karakoram, I think it would be one hell of an adventure just to visit the region. To hike up the Baltoro Glacier and to the base of the tallest region on the planet.
Spore Ag
My Mom drove the Karakorums from Islamabad to Kashkar in 1989. Tough trip at that time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.