Weirdest airplanes youve traveled on?

5,172 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by FrontPorchAg
moses1084ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With all the aviation geeks on this board, thought it would be interesting to see what kind of planes people have traveled on.

Mine would be:

ATR 72 - trip from Saigon to Phu Quoc
Dornier 228 - trip from El Nido, Philippines to Manila

CanyonAg77
AG
I'll skip the private and the few military rides I've had, since you seem to be after airliners.

Rio Airways used to fly DeHavilland twin otters between College Station and DFW or Houston.

Before that, Davis Airlines used a variety of small aircraft on the same route. I think my ride with them was in a Piper Navajo PA-31, with Mr. Davis himself.

Did a few flights between Lubbock and Oklahoma City in a Swerigen Metroliner, a LOUD aluminum tube. I think the prop blades practically touched the fuselage.

And when I was a kid, rode on a Texas International Convair 600.

[This message has been edited by CanyonAg77 (edited 12/2/2012 6:59p).]
Reel Aggies
AG
Flew on a prop plane out of Peoria IL one time where it had one seat on one side of the isle and two on the other. I was in the first single seat and the flight attendants seat was immediately in front of mine staring back at me. We were so close our knees were intertwined. Kinda awkward......
YokelRidesAgain
AG
For Twin Otters and Texas International.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jacques
quote:
Rio Airways used to fly DeHavilland twin otters between College Station and DFW or Houston.

Man, Rio...seeing that plane brings back memories. In Wichita Falls that used to be it. I never flew on one, but I watched my dad as a kid take off on plenty of those.

I once got on a plane in a very small town here in California where the woman that took my rental car checked me, then got me through security and gave me a coke on the plane, which looked like something from an Indiana Jones movie.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
my post got deleted during the great TexAgs blackout of 2012...but my weirdest planes...including the Dreamliner cause its awesome (despite the mishap on UA 1146 this morning)

Used to ride that between ORD and DAY as well as IAD and DAY when I was younger, i thought it was the weirdest looking/coolest plane.

Flew on UA 1146 IAH - EWR this weekend. It was awesome.
moses1084ever
AG
What was the mishap?

edit: wow!

http://news.yahoo.com/uniteds-787-diverted-mid-flight-mechanical-problem-213309634--finance.html

[This message has been edited by moses1084ever (edited 12/4/2012 7:39p).]
hbc07
AG
quote:
ATR 72
i never flew on one, but at my last job i used to load/unload atr 72s (amongst others)
HollywoodBQ
AG
An ATR72 is hardly exotic. American Eagle used to fly those in/out of College Station and Waco.

I posted on here a long time ago many of the commercial aircraft I've flown on. Here's a short list but not complete.

Boeing - 707, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777
I'm missing the 787 which just came out and I know where to find the 717 flying between Perth and Alice Springs.

Airbus - A318, A319, A320, A321, A300, A330, A340, A380
I'm missing the A350, I think Emirates is one of the few operators that I know of.

Lockheed - DC8, DC9, DC10, L1011
McDonnell Douglas - MD80, Super80, etc.

And that's just off the top of my head. No way to know how many Mooneys, Cessnas, Pipers, etc. that my dad flew us around in when I was a kid.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
this is a pretty cool website if you want to track the flights you've been on etc.

my.flightmemory.com

Here's my page:

http://my.flightmemory.com/pcrew44
Aggie71013
AG
I haven't done anything too out of the ordinary. My weirdest is a Beechcraft 1900 from Miami to MHH, Bahamas. The weird part about it was we taxied so long in Miami we had to go back to the gate to refuel.

Cool site PLC44. I just made mine.

http://my.flightmemory.com/aggie71013

[This message has been edited by Aggie71013 (edited 12/5/2012 11:20a).]
HollywoodBQ
AG
Thanks for sharing that flight memory page. I put in about 75% of my flights for this year and made this map. It's kind of tedious to enter all the data. But, if you did it one trip at a time, it wouldn't be too bad to maintain.

DBSwooper
Lets see, I've traveled in a number of Twin Otters, a couple of CASA-212s, a few Shorts 330 Skyvans, DC-3, a turbine converted Porter, Grand Caravan, a couple of King Air C90s, Beech 99, C206, C205, C207, C182, C172, a Champ, a hot-air balloon and I think I might be forgetting a couple.

Then again, my "travels" typically didn't venture very far, just up to 4k or up to around 10.5k to 22k (on one occasion) and they let me out.
metrag06
AG
Got a ride in a Bell 47 helicopter (think M*A*S*H) as a kid, pretty neat flight.
Clever&FunnyAg
AG
Hollywood, that's an awesome flight map, do you typically fly Qantas? Or Virgin Australia? My travels are almost always on UA, Continental a few times when their non-stop from Houston was necessary and a lot more cost effective. Really want to burn some miles on a *A airline like Singapore or Lufthansa.
HollywoodBQ
AG
plc44 - I mostly fly Qantas. Qantas is nice but airlines like Singapore are unbelievable. Especially when you compare against an American domestic flight.

Here is my partial list of flight statistics for 2012. Maybe this weekend I'll work on rounding out the list. The map won't change but I've got about 3-4 round trips between SYD-SFO that aren't on the list.
moses1084ever
AG
quote:
An ATR72 is hardly exotic.

Yes. But what about ATR72's with a big communist flag painted on the side.

SingAir spoils you. I avoid American carriers now, mainly because the service is just so much better (and the flight attendants are hot). I'm on SA from SIN to SYD for Christmas break.
notheranymore
Whatever Lone Star airlines used to fly. Teetered on the brink of death in a horrible thunderstorm from DFW to El Dorado, AR in ~'97/'98.
CanyonAg77
AG
And if we're going with passenger status....

And as PIC

And my personal favorite

I've flown the aircraft below

and the same aircraft in a cool video

Though, nothing like the way the lady flies it.
Aggie71013
AG
HollywoodBQ How'd you get a post in Australia? I went there in '07 and loved it.
txags92
AG
I have no idea what model plane it was, but TACA (take a chance airways) used to (and probably still does) fly a route between Belize City and Roatan using a plane that looked exactly like the spaceship from Spaceballs. It was pretty much a winnebago shape with wings stuck on it.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Aggie71013 - lots of pain and suffering to get here

Short story - I'm an IT guy who is an absolute expert in an ugly niche of computer systems. I ground out 2 years making sales calls in Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties before finding an opening with the same company doing the same work in Sydney.

Longer story - had to quit my employer in the US to get out from under a regime that wouldn't let me transfer to Australia. Once I was out on the street, I was able to take the role in Sydney with relatively little trouble.

Made the move in mid-late 2007 when things were booming and they were desperate for talent here in Australia.

It took me about 5 years to recover from the financial impacts of the move. That's a super long story. But... all in all, well worth it. I can't imagine how bad things would have been if I rode the past 5 years out in LA. I've got a nurse friend who is dancing for cash for crying out loud.
harleyds2
AG
Flew on the queens 707 when I was in Australia
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
a plane that looked exactly like the spaceship from Spaceballs

A Short Skyvan?

Looks like they threw away the airplane and kept the box it came in.
DBSwooper
That's one of Skydive Spaceland's Skyvans (they're in Rosharon, TX). If you want to jump out of it, call them. It's cool to take a tandem out of the tail gate, since you basically just step off facing the rear and do a backflip as you deploy the drogue.

They're fun to jump out of, but climb slower than the Super Otters and are LOOOUUUUD.
FrontPorchAg
Just a twin otter but a couple times a year it's on this runway:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.