Augusta, GA / Masters

2,757 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by William Munny
TechLawAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im thinking about trying to go to the Masters this year and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, especially about getting tickets.

It looks as if a weekend pass is about $1200 a person. Ouch. My guess is that it would probably be well worth it once I got there though. Thanks for any tips.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Go for a practice round. You'll spend much less and probably have more fun.
Flash02
Remember, cameras ONLY allowed on Monday - Tueday & Wednesday. Best day is Tuesday because all of the players are there. get there when the gates open at 8. One of the most beautiful and memerable times of your life when YOU are the first on the course. Back nine first with all of the dew and silence.
Goose
AG
The best advice I've ever heard about a day trip to the Masters:

"When you arrive at the course, ride in the front seat, when you leave, ride in the back, So that you can stay there as long as you possibly can."

I too would elect to go for a practice round. Easier to get tickets, can take a camera, etc. To me The Masters isn't so much about the players as it is the course, and you can enjoy the course more for a Practice round than you can during the tournament. It is a freaking wonderful place; go if you can.
Retired Principal
AG
I went to a practice round. One of the most memorable experiences I will ever have. Stayed in Columbia, SC which is only about 75 miles from Augusta.
Mooch98
AG
I went in 2001 on Friday. Got my ticket through Fort Gordon's MWR program for $32, which was the ticket face value. We had a blast, saw all of the old players before the cut, and got completely drunk on cheap Heineken. Good times.
SteveG
AG
Very timely post - thanks to the OP. I am going this year as well. I have never been, but going to go with my 72 year old dad. He is big golfer so looking forward to it. Kinda like Wrigley Field or one of the other great sports venues. A few questions:

1. I have also heard the practive rounds are the best - and certainly cheaper. Do many of the guys play on Monday, or is Tuesday much better? I noticed tickets for Monday are a bit cheaper. Is it because of player turnout?
2. Where is a good place to get tickets? I have looked at Stubhub. Tickets for Monday are around 210-230 I think and about 40 bucks more for Tuesday. I will pay this if I have to but daym. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Flash02
Steve. I got mine through the Masters lottery so can't really help there. Go on Tuesday (see my previous post). A lot of the legends play together up to fivesomes. One year Player, Watson, Singh, Zoeler and Stadler all played. It was a blast listening to those guys rib each other. One thing for your Dad, The course is extremely hilly. More than you can imagine until you see it. Have fun!!
Flash02
One other thing. After you get there the players are second choice. Seeing the course is numbing and you must see it all.
Retired Principal
AG
I just walked the entire course. Didn't even watch much golf. I sat in the grandstands at Amen Corner and watched for a little while. Its hard to believe, but being there is much better than what they show on TV.
SteveG
AG
Thanks flash. Guess if I am going to spend that much, it might be worth the extra $ for Tuesday if better experience. As for the hills, Dad goes to the gym every stinking day so no worries about him keeping up!
Mrs. Goose
AG
I went when I was 31 and in relatively good shape. The elevation changes kicked my azz. As said, you can't appreciate how hilly it is on television.

And I don't know that Monday vs. Tuesday really matters much. It's much more about the course than the players.

edit: actually Goose, not the Mrs.

[This message has been edited by Mrs. Goose (edited 1/30/2010 1:54p).]
BigDawg87
AG
Have gone the last 4 years and will be there for the Saturday round this year.

Agree with everyone else, the practice rounds are the best. I perfer Wed due to the Par 3 tourny. Be prepared to walk a bunch, drop some coin on the hotel if you stay in Augusta and on the souvies. The only thing that is cheap are the concessions. Cold beer and a plametto cheese samich is a must.

It is unbelieveable. Get there early, and stay late. IF you can drop in on the back entrance its easier to get set your chairs set up at Amen. Just drop a business card in the holder and leave them there. No one will mess with them.
TechLawAggie
AG
DBD87,

How do you get your tickets? Is $600 a day over the weekend the going rate? Are there scalpers at the gate? Im not sure if I want to take the risk of not having a ticket before getting there.
dcAg
The par 3 tournament is great!
Drink Juice, Shelby
AG
go to practice round. i went to sat and sun in 07 and its a great experience but we have no photos. would have loved to get a practice round in.
Vero143
How does one go about getting tickets? My sister and I are wanting to send my Dad, BIL and I to this in the next few years? Sorry to derail the thread.
TechLawAggie
AG
Vero,

The only way I can see to get tickets is through ticket resale websites. It looks like a weekend ticket is about $600 per day, per person.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
http://www.masters.com/en_US/about/ticket.html

You just have to keep applying until you get them.
BigDawg87
AG
TechLaw-

First 3 years we hosted a customer event Wed-Fri thru a Hospitality Group. It included (4) tickets/day, House, food & drinks, valet parking, etc... Ran us $30-35K.

Last year I went on our company's tickets which I am using again this year. This will be my first weekend round.

I know a lot of guys that have been entering the lottery for years and finally got tix. I've never really seen any scalpers at the event, but I have never had to look either.
Flash02
I did the lotery thing and I do every year. Finally got them two years ago after 20+ years of entering. I also saw no scalpers. If you want to fork out a lot of dough there are plenty of web sites.
HERKIMER80
AG
been in 07 and 08...best golf experience ever!
oldschool87
AG
If your not in shape... You need to start jogging or at least walking...

TV does not come within the same galaxy of showing you the hills that are there. If you are dieing the whole time it will away from the experience.

Probably not an issue, but my buddy went and got left....
oldschool87
AG
I have heard that you have to return your ticket. If you do not return your ticket you lose it or something. Any ticket found to be scalped is no longer your ticket...
William Munny
Is the ticket broker legit????.....TicketSolutions.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.