Questions on Prague

3,052 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by mattvswild
army01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Mrs. and I were planning on going this last year for our anniversary, but the arrival of the kiddo nixed that one....so, now we are thinking of heading over next year.

What is the best time of year to visit?

Favorite attractions?

Places to stay?
Furlock Bones
AG
Charles Bridge really is one of the most beautiful sites in all of Europe.
defroach
I cant help on places to stay, but as for sites.....you just need to walk the old town and you will see a lot of it. I didnt have a map, and just walked it all and really enjoyed it.

Summer will be really crowded, as is all of Europe. If you can go at another part of the year (as in April) i would think you would have good weather and less crowds.
phoenix491
AG
Fall is hard to beat for trips to Europe ... cooler weather, fewer people (although the touristy areas of Prague are always packed, yearround), and lower prices.

When we went (two years ago at about this time), we stayed here: www.betlemclub.cz/en It's only a few blocks from the Charles Bridge, in a quiet little square(Bethlehem, or Betlem, Square) across from a church. Clean and reasonable.

One of the best parts of the location was the restaurant across the street (located in a cellar). It's called Club Arkitektu, and was so good that we ate there a few times.

The weather was cool, but not cold -- just about perfect.
Danger Mouse
AG
August-September.

http://www.hotelotto.eu/

I went with my grandfather in April/May. We stayed at Hotel Otto. A bit further from Old Town Square, but it was easy to hop public transit. Also a good walk, if you're the walking type. My 76yo grandfather and didn't do that as much but it was lovely when we did. It's also a little closer to the Staropramen brewery, which wasn't that exciting for me. One day we went a little SW of the hotel into Smichov district and found an awesome open air market. There's also an excellent little bakery on the west side of the closest main street, north of the hotel but south of Petrin Hill. Tasty. There's much less English in this section of town though.
archangelus2
AG
Whatever you do, don't spend any more time in the train station than you have to....it is a cesspool.

I thought the Jewish Museums were pretty interesting, especially the cemetery.

------------------------------------
I don't know what I'm talking about.
phoenix491
AG
^
|
|

X2 ... I sat there for about an hour with my parents and my sick wife waiting for our night train to Budapest. NOT a fun (nor clean) experience. I was glad to get on the train.

Oh, and good point about the Jewish cemetery -- very moving. Just make sure to pay the extra fee if you want to take photos ... they're serious about that sort of thing, for some reason.

[This message has been edited by phoenix491 (edited 11/12/2009 11:47a).]
Phat32
AG
quote:
Whatever you do, don't spend any more time in the train station than you have to....it is a cesspool.

We arrived there on our trip and were immediately called "homosexuals" for not wanting to use someone's car service. Classy.

Great town though. Very cool classic architecture and I second the Charles Bridge.
dcAg
You have to see the clock in the main square in the new town. Go to the old town (on the hill) and walk around and tour the castle and shops. Dont be afraid to stop frequently for drinks.
McNasty
AG
There's plenty of guys handing out fliers for string quartets/trios playing in the churches. Definitely worth the time and money for us.
Randy03
AG
Train stations being a cesspool, particularly at night in large towns in Europe is well .. to be expected.

The Gare du Nord in Paris is notoriously crappy and dangerous at night and well, France is a bit more civilized than the Czech Republic, of course Prague is seriously farther along than most of the rest of the country, pretty much only Praha, Plzen and Brno have any money. Interestingly enough, they are the only places where actual highways lead to, the rest of the country is in various states of disrepair, though the area near the German and Austrian borders near the Moldaustausee (German name, I dont speak Czech) has a lot of tourist development/money.
Danger Mouse
AG
To piggyback on what Randy has written, Gare du Nord looks nice inside (as far as large train stations go), but the moment you step outside be prepared to be hassled by gypsies and all sorts of ruffiens. This is only for about a two block radius as the other area is not as creepy as the immediate area outside of the train station.

As far as Prague, I recall me and my friends being harrassed by some thug in one particular subway station. But that was in 1997.

AG
Go in the summer time - the girls will be smokin' hot.
dcAg
If you like beer try this place. It is the world's oldest continuously operating brew pub.

http://en.ufleku.cz/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_Flek%C5%AF
drewser95
AG
I went with a buddy in early May and the weather was perfect. Some of the more popular sites were a little crowded--not prohibitively so, but I don't think I would have wanted to go any later in the year (until the fall).

Many have mentioned the Charles Bridge but be sure to see it at sunset -- the view looking towards Prague Castle from Old Town is outstanding. Pictures I have seen at sunrise looking down the bridge the opposite way (towards Old Town) are impressive as well, but we could never get moving that early.

Had a great dinner at Kolkovna in Old Town -- nice little pub with excellent food. We stayed at the K+K Central -- which was maybe a 10-min walk to Old Town Square. Very clean (and an excellent breakfast).
http://www.kkhotels.com/en/hotels/prague/k-k-hotel-central/overview-k-k-hotel-central/

We hit Munich, Salzburg and Prague that trip, and Prague was far & away my favorite -- you two will have a blast.
Danger Mouse
AG
I'm actually headed to Vienna and Graz for business in December. May try to hit Salzberg if possible.

When we arrived in Prague by train at night I thought to myself, what on earth have I gotten us into.

As soon as I saw Old Town, though, I had a very different opinion
mattvswild
AG
Actually just got back from there and, I have to say, being in Prague in early November was fantastic. The crowds weren't bad, the people were friendly, and while the weather was in the 40s, it gave me a chance to break out the jacket I don't "get" to wear in B/CS.

Anyway, it was just a really beautiful city. Easy to walk around, and you can really spend as much or as little as you want doing things.

I'm not sure how long you're planning on being there, but I was in Prague for about 5 days and that was about right (if not 1 or 2 days too much). Anything longer and I would have wanted to get out and see the countryside or move on to another city elsewhere.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.