Disney World, Universal, etc WITHOUT Kids

2,954 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by CDub06
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Company is going to Orlando for 3 days in January. We're staying at the Walt Disney World Swan Hotel.

I've never been (or really thought about going) and don't really know much about Disney World. I've skimmed some of the threads on here, but there is a common thread, kids.

I have no kids. My girlfriend has been before and is fairly excited about it, but I wanted some feedback from y'all. What are the highlights at Disney World, Universal Studios, and the general area for adults without children?

I generally find amusement parks boring (Six Flags, etc), but have been told that this is a different animal altogether.

What parks should be on the list? Are there attractions that I should avoid? Where will we find the most amusement? And so on.

Thanks.
MidnightYell2003
AG
I've only been once and it was 3 years ago in March (without kids) and I had a great time (and only the 4 parks of Disney). I really liked the Animal Kingdom and I would suggest seeing the fireworks at 3 different parks on the 3 different nights you'll be there (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and MGM).

I thought MGM was cool to see all the stunt shows. I really like rides and stuff, but if you find those boring, then definitely don't stand in the lines for them. There's not too many "extreme" rides, since it is mostly for kids, so you might find them even more boring.

I also really liked Epcot and checking out the different "countries" that are represented there. They say you have to eat at Britain and get the Fish and Chips.

Since you find amusement parks boring, then you should avoid the "iconic" things at these parks since the lines are usually a bit long and may not be that exciting. If I remember correctly, the places are: for Magic Kingdom - Small World, Pirates of the Carribean; Epcot - that big globe thing, the ride of tomorrow. And I can't remember the other things that would be on your "avoid" list for slow going, long lines, and generally not that exciting, but I know there's more.

There's definitely a lot of fun photo ops for you and your g/f (like all the country buildings of Epcot and the different monumental structures at the different parks). hth
Terk
AG
The wife and I went for our honeymoon, and it was a BLAST without kids. Even more fun now with kids, but that's a whole different thread.

During the day hit the parks, ride the rides, take photos and act like a kid. At night hit downtown disney for a good time. they have a theater and cirque if you're into that as well.

Fastpass (or whatever they call it) is greatness and truly changes the experience by saving you all the waiting in line.
818386AG
AG
The Swan is near Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios, so those would be easy for you to hit (you can take a boat to both). Magic Kingdom has the classic rides, and Animal Kingdom has imho the best ride at Disney, Expedition Everest. Exploring the different countries at Epcot is fun and educational.

You will have to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom so that will take more time to get to your destination than Epcot and DHS.
Mustang1
AG
Check out Downtown Disney.
ORAggieFan
I lived in Orlando two years and had no kids. My favorite of the Disney parks is Animal Kingdom, although my wife is a vet and we love animals, so that definitely contributed to this.

I find Epcot pretty boring and only went during the food and wine festival. Magic Kingdom is fine, but I prefer the original Disneyland a bit more.

My favorite park for rides is Islands of Adventure at Universal, the best roller coasters in the area.

I also like Sea World, I think it's the best of the Sea World's.
yakman
For adults....Soar at Epcot, Fantasmic at MGM, SpectroMagic night parade at Magic Kingdom.

Are you fitting the parks around meetings or are you free the whole time?

Universal is trill ride oriented which doesn't seem to be your thing.

I highly recommend spending the $22 and using tourguidemike.com for planning Disney. He is a professional Disney guide with lots of good tips that run counter to all the other guide books. He has a lot of tips about most guidebooks say go attractions X at these times which leaves these other attractions very easy to get through at those time then pick up those other attractions later with fast passes.

I'm also a big fan of a rental car at Disney instead of the buses.
Twix
AG
My husband and I went to Disneyworld on our honeymoon and had a great time. My favorite park was Epcot just because you can "tour the world" (drink and eat) at the back portion and do the fun rides at the front. Skip all the shows and just shoot to get on the rides. Our favorites in Epcot were Test Track and Soarin'. Just a little tidbit, when you enter the park, go left. Most people naturally go right, but it's less crowded if you go left. Get fast passes!

The earlier you get to the park, the shorter the lines are. Also, in January, Animal Kingdom closes around 5 or so, and you can still make it to other parks after it closes.
The nice thing about going in January is the parks are much less crowded.

If you're in CS, I can loan you a couple books that have helpful hints about the parks also. Just let me know.
CDub06
AG
I appreciate the insight, keep it coming! To answer a previous question: I will have the entire day free while there.

I'm not anti-ride, they just get...boring. At Six Flags, I could ride the Superman Tower ride all day (it's like the Big Shot in Vegas), but that's all that really catches my fancy there...

Anything specifically to do at night?

Thanks for y'all's advice.
Twix
AG
Watch the fireworks shows at night. Also, visit downtown Disney. You can get between all the parks by either boat or bus since you're staying on property. Take a backpack with a sweatshirt and some bottled water/snacks.

The weather in January was crazy when were there. One morning I walked out for breakfast and went right back in and changed because it was so stinking hot and muggy already. Pack for 50s and 80s.

Most importantly, just enjoy the parks. They're well thought out, immaculately clean and there won't be as many kids as you're expecting. Actually, expect some Europeans to be there since they may not be back in school yet.
Cheer
AG
I know a few people who honeymooned at Disney World, and from what I hear, it is MORE fun without kids.

first of all, you can pretend to be a kid and enjoy all the rides. there are some great rides that are fun for adults as well (my personal favorites were Aerosmith's Rock N Roller Coaster and Space Mountain). Downtown Disney is an area separate from the parks, near some condos, that I think is more adult-themed. there were some great bars that are adults only--at least, my mom and stepdad said they were great. I was 16 when I went last, so I wasn't allowed in.

and DITTO for the FastPass. this is a MUST-HAVE.

[This message has been edited by cheer (edited 10/14/2009 11:53a).]
fishoutawater
With just a day, I wouldn't try to plan on doing too much. It would be worth getting a guide book or looking at a couple of the dedicated web sites (Intercot, Mousesavers) so you don't get overwhelmed by all the choices. Disney differs from Six Flags and Universal in that they sell an immersive experience.

If you want a leisurely day, you might take a boat or walk (15-20 minutes) to the back door of Epcot. The rides are unique (the aforementioned Test Track and Soarin' and my personal favorite, Mission Space) and there are lots of little gardens, street entertainment, shops, and great people watching throughout. The buffet in Germany is a great place to pig out (food and beer) to balance all the healthy walking.

I agree with those who like Animal Kingdom, but given your limited time you may want to take advantage of your proximity to Epcot or Disney Studios. The Studios are good for a couple of unique rides and movie-themed shows. I'd avoid Magic Kingdom unless you want the total classic Disney experience, complete with lots of kids.

The Boardwalk area, adjacent to the Swan has a bit of night life. For fine dining, you have a Todd English restaurant at your hotel or take a car or cab to one of the other resorts--our favorite "grownup" restaurants are Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge. California Grille at the Contemporary might also offer you the chance to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks.

Just don't try to do too much. Consider this a sampler to decide if you'd ever want a longer destination. To answer your original question-it can be a great place without kids.
Twix
AG
One other thing, if you know your schedule, call now and make reservations for dinner if you are planning to eat in a nicer sit-down restaurant.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Epcot is absolutely spectacular for couples. Get a dinner reservation in the world showcase and stroll through the area when you're done, then watch the fireworks. We honeymooned there also. There are several books that might give you a good idea. But there is plenty to in the parks, and outisde of the parks.

http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt-Disney-World-Without/dp/1423117050/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255641381&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-Grown-Ups-without/dp/0028633539/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255641540&sr=8-1
CDub06
AG
I won't be there for a single day. It's a 3 day stay.

Thanks for y'all's input.

Wow, you really have to book dinners this far in advance?
Jackal99
AG
Yes. Apparently the Canadian steakhouse can fill up months in advance. Didn't get to eat there. We did eat at Moracco (excellent), France (not good...not good at all), and the German bierhall (a lot of fun).
fishoutawater
They've been regularly doing "free dining" promotions that result in the restaurants being booked well in advance. If you're sure of where you want to eat, book in advance. If you want to be more spontaneous, just plan on eating at off times.
fishoutawater
I just read your OP. January is their slow time (if there is one), so it shouldn't be a big problem.
Twix
AG
We went in January and we couldn't get into some restaurants. They were literally booked all evening or the wait was well over an hour.
Jackal99
AG
Like Twix, I went in January. And like Twix, there were restaurants we couldn't get into. I tried to get a reservation at the Canadian steakhouse three months in advance, and it was booked. Making reservations does take away some of the ability to be spontaneous, but it's worth it for some places. When my girlfriend and I went, we went to a different park each day (Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, and the Animal Park), and went to Epcot each night for dinner. Of course, you have to get the park hopper ticket to do that, but it was still worth it. There's just something about drinking some pretty decent wine at the Morocco restaurant in Epcot, then taking the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and going on "It's a Small World" and rides like that with a pretty good buzz going. It's like, you know you probably shouldn't be doing it, but you can't stop yourself. And it made "Small World" a bit more tolerable.

[This message has been edited by Jackal99 (edited 10/22/2009 10:28a).]
dreyOO
man i love epcot center
CDub06
AG
I'll start looking into dining options. Thanks guys.

Gotta admit, y'all have me excited.
oldschool87
AG
We actually stayed at the Swan. Very nice, very expensive.

No kids, spend the first 2 days at Universal. then whatever time you have left visit the other parks.

Universal blows all the other parks away!
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
Not familiar with the Universal Parks, but for WDW I would recommend:
Disney Hollywood Studios (Toy Story Mania, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock-n-Rollercoaster Starring Aerosmith, Star Tours, Great Movie Ride, MuppetVision 3D)

Epcot (Soarin, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space, eating/drinking your way around the World)

Dining:
Raglan Road (Irish pub at Downtown Disney)
Ohana (a Fogo de Chao type place at the Polynesian)
Le Cellier (Canadian steakhouse at Epcot)
50's Prime Time Diner (Disney Hollywood Studios)
California Grille (adult dining at the Contemporary)

Nightlife:
Not much at Downtown Disney since most of Pleasure Island is closed, but Raglan Road has live music later at night
Jellyrolls at the Boardwalk is a dueling piano bar thats fun
ESPN Club at the Boardwalk
Hanrahan
AG
raglan road was our stop every night when the wife and i did a "why not" trip to disney last year (no kids). Lots of fun with the live music.
Big Al 1992
AG
DisneyWorld without kids is a lot of fun. You get the joy of seeing the fams with screaming kids and husbands and wives yelling at each other and kids yelling back and being ungrateful. You can say "that'll never be us". Lo and behold that is us now JK.

Since you're staying at a WDW resort (Swan or Dolphin) you should check into seeing when there are E-Ticket/E-ride nights. You pay an extra $15-$20, and are allowed back in after they kick the rest of the guests out. I think it's just at Magic Kingdom. They open about 12 of the rides, and there are no lines. Not only no lines, but we rode Space Mountain 3 times in a row without ever leaving our seat. Stays open until around 2am.

Go around the world at Epcot - a drink in every country - the wife and I couldn't make it - had to call it quits after about 6.

Dining -
California Grill at Contemporty Resort - great food, great view of fireworks

Brown Derby - steakhouse at Hollywood Studios

Ohana - fun, luau type - all you can eat meat, like Fogo de Chao

German Biergarten

At Swan/Dolphin you'll be walking distance to the Boardwalk - JellyRolls is fun dueling piano bar.
CDub06
AG
Thanks for the restaurant/nightlife recommendations. We're planning dinner right now.

Any other dinner recommendations (or seconds)? Any good lunch places?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.