Ski Recommendations

3,256 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by defroach
Arnie Grape
How long do you want to ignore this user?
List them here.

Have only been to Wolf Creek because a buddy used to have a cabin up there. Not really sure how much lodging usually runs. We were thinking about renting a cabin for 6-8 people.
Skitch05
AG
What are you looking for? Good family resort, more advanced skiing terrain, is price a major concern, etc.?
JW
AG
Depending on the time of year

Vail
Whistler
Salt Lake City
Aspen/snowmass
beaver creek
steamboat
breckenridge
mammoth

in that order, just my opinion.
Arnie Grape
Going with several friends, don't need a family atmosphere. We're mostly beginner-intermediate level skiers, so advanced terrain is not a necessity. I'd say price is probably the biggest factor, but not the only one. We're looking to go Christmas to New Year's or sometime very close to that.
defroach
if price is a factor, going inbetween christmas and NYE is not going to be cheap...

wolf creek still has some of the cheaper lift tickets that I know of....
BaylorGuy314
I like:

Vail
Squaw Valley
Breckenridge
Mount Rose
Copper Mountain (too many snowboarders, IMO)
Keystone
Diamond Peak (good mountain- just too small)
Santa Fe (bad snow when I was there...may have skewed my opinion)

...in that order.

I'm forgetting one resort somewhere in there though...

[This message has been edited by BaylorGuy314 (edited 7/17/2009 10:06a).]
BaylorGuy314
Plus, I find that flying into Denver is typically cheaper than flying into Nevada. And I also find that you can rent a place cheaper (through VRBO, especially) in the Summit County area (Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail, Copper Mtn) than you could in Nevada.

So, if I were going on the best ski trip while trying to remain somewhat inexpensive, I'd say stick with Summit County (in this order):

Vail
Breckenridge
Copper Mountain
Keystone

You could stay in Dillon or Frisco, which are not at the base of any mountains, but are a short drive away to Copper, Breck, and Keystone. Frisco is especially quaint while Dillon is more commercialized. Breckenridge is nice, but will be much more expensive, as is Vail. I don't really recommend staying at Vail as its the only resort that's a bit of a drive and I wouldn't want to make that everyday.
But it's worth the drive for one day of skiing.

As I mentioned- I love the Lake Tahoe area, but just find that it's typically more expensive.
CSTXAG2015
Beaver Creek is nice. Breckenridge is cold, windy, and ices up the hardest. You can fly into EGE if you are goin to Vail or BC or CM. It will save you a drive on I 70.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Flying into Eagle for Copper Mountain does not help much, it is going to be more expensive and it is still a 45 min drive about.
putu
AG
North Star (Lake Tahoe)
Squaw
Taos
Heavenly
Alpine Meadows
Sugar Bowl

just listing ones I've been too...North Star is my favorite.
CSTXAG2015
I would rather drive 45 minutes and not have to worry about 1 70 closing at eisenhower than fly into Denver and have to drive 2 hours there and back. Sorry, thats just me.
Disco Stu
AG
Crested Butte has always been my favorite. Especially staying "in town" and going out at night.
ColoradoMooseHerd
The Drive is 1 hr 30 min and from Copper to Vail you have to cross Vail Pass that is closed more often then is Loveland Pass (Eisenhower Tunnel)
CSTXAG2015
I was talking about getting to BC/VAIL from EGE, not CM.
CSTXAG2015
Basically saying if your going west of the pass, fly into EGE, if your going East of the pass, fly into Denver.
aggie_wes
AG
go to breck, stay in dillon/frisco

Sooner Born
quote:
Basically saying if your going west of the pass, fly into EGE, if your going East of the pass, fly into Denver.

If cost is an issue, as they stated, flying into EGE isn't really feasible.

Not to mention that in a snowstorm, you're more likely to get to Vail by car than by plane.

[This message has been edited by Sooner Born (edited 7/17/2009 11:38p).]
Skitch05
AG
There is a chance that it won't have as good of snow as most of the Colorado/Nevada options mentioned, but when Taos skiing is good I'd put it up there with most of them. The terrain is varied, mostly intermediate/expert with some decent beginner stuff, and it usually isn't very crowded. However, that early in the season there is a chance the snow could be less than great.

It also can be pretty cheap if you are willing to stay down off the mountain in a place such as the Abominable Snowmansion.

If you are willing to go for a whole week, Taos offers 'Learn to Ski' weeks for super cheap during the weeks of January (last year I think it was $80 for the lessons + lift tickets/rentals if you need them). They basically have you ski down a short run on the first day, and then put you in groups based on your ability. After that, you are with your instructor/group for 2 hours in the morning for 6 days. They have groups for all ability levels and you will definitely be a better skiier when you are done.
Sooner Born
quote:
I would rather drive 45 minutes and not have to worry about 1 70 closing at eisenhower than fly into Denver and have to drive 2 hours there and back. Sorry, thats just me.

Just read this...in bad weather, Vail pass is more likely to close than Eisenhower tunnel...
CrownNSprite
AG
Been to Taos several times. It is a very large mountain with lots of different terrain. You can fly into Albuquerque fairly cheap with Southwest, or you can drive it pretty easily from central Texas. At least the last three hours of the drive are scenic.
AgBlitz
AG
If cost is your primary driver, you are going to be skiing 6-8 days, and mid to late January is possible, you'll pay more to fly out to Salt Lake City but may be able to make up for it with cheaper lodging options and lift tickets ($50 - $75/day vs upwards of $95/day for Vail & Beaver Creek) than many of the Colorado resorts. The kicker is I've always heard that the SLC area may not have accumulated as much powder around Xmas/ New Years. I've been there several times the past few years in late January and experienced some of the lightest and abundant fresh powder anywhere. The Canyons has run 2 lift ticket/ 2 beer deals for $100 the past few years and Brighton, Solitude and Snowbird discount all day lift tickets could be purchased at several ski shops in downtown SLC for between $50 to $60. We've stayed downtown at the Little America, nice indoor pool, cheap and stumbling distance to several bars and restaurants nearby. Best value if, IMO, the snow is falling. The Rodizio Grill Brazilian steakhouse ($24.99 all you can stomach) ain't a bad place to hit up after a few days on the slopes either. Those Steakhouse dinners go for twice that here in DFW.
mitch
1. Book a flight into Eagle at least a couple of months in advance.
2. Stay at Christi Lodge in Avon (best value).
3. Ski at Beaver Creek.
4. Ski at least one day in Vail (~10 minute drive).
5. Eat at Pazzo's Pizza (across the street from Christi).
6. Get drunk at least one night at Finnegan's Wake Irish pub (also across the street from Christi).
7. Go out at least one night in Vail.
dcAg
Aspen/Snowmass has every level of skiing you can ask for and the night life is great.
EnergyAg07
Vail
Deer Valley
Beaver Creek
Breck-although it's too stinking crowded.
Steamboat.

The Ritz in Bachelor Gulch is pretty nice.
CSTXAG2015
I love Bach Gulch. Go up there every year to ski and golf. Beautiful year round. The closing for the summer really stinks. I have to go down the mountain and thus must drive my car to get to my next fav bar. Village Transport to the Ritz had me spoiled.

[This message has been edited by nichols08 (edited 7/27/2009 7:23p).]
Hincemm
AG
i'll cast my vote for durango (purgatory)...good family mountain and seemingly more laid back compared to other co ski resorts.
ABKitch
AG
you can't go wrong with Breckenridge. fun town with good shops/bars/restaurants, plenty of terrain for all levels, and some of the nicer facilities, in my opinion. tons of lodging options, just start looking for deals in town, and look at dillon/frisco as a backup plan.
MW03
AG
any ideas for skiing on the cheap? i've never been and i was thinking of putting together a trip with some other couples to go with my wife and me, but I don't want to drop a ton of cash in case I hate it.

thoughts?
defroach
Cheap? Skiing isn't cheap. $60ish a day plus ski rentals ($18ish). Already at $80/day before food, hotels, etc. where do you live? Do you plan on flying or driving?
MW03
AG
cheap, relatively speaking.

in other words, what is the most cost effective way to have a good time skiing? we'll be coming from Dallas.

For example, is Ruidoso a better value than Vail if we don't need a bar scene?
defroach
Ok that clarifies some things. If you do not require a ski in ski out place, that'll save you money. As far as more reasonable Priced places, Ruidoso will be one. The slopes aren't as good and the snow is very iffy (this year they have a good base, so as of now they're doing fine). If you want another reasonable priced place that is better than Ruidoso, you could try Wolf Creek (they'll always have snow), Taos (but it is not an easy mountain for beginners) or even Red River...never skied there but it is in NM so I assume it's cheaper than CO.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.