Costa Rica - Arenal Area

2,302 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by MW03
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm headed to Costa Rica in mid-Aug and staying at Hotel Arenal Parasio.

What tips/advice can you offer?

What's the best transport from San Jose to Arenal?

Many thanks.
iloveAP
AG
I've traveled from San José to La Fortuna (where Volcan Arenal is) in both a public bus and a rental car. Both were fine - it's almost easier in a bus because you don't have to worry about navigating or the conditions of the roads. But with a car you can easily get to your hotel. Without a car you can taxi it. La Fortuna is not a very big town. Make sure you go see the waterfall just outside of town!
fwag04
AG
I drove from Arenal to San Jose in a rental car, lots of windy roads, but all paved from what I can remember.

If you do a zipline, go with sky adventures, you get a great view of the Lake and Volcano, and its an amazing experience.

http://www.skyadventures.travel/Arenal_En/Welcome.html

Go up the road a little bit to La Fortuna, theres a lot of souvenir shops, and most of them had pretty good prices compared to other parts of the country.
Vernada
AG
certainly plan on doing some zip lines.

Vernada
AG
oh and how about some travel book recommendations?

I'm really spoiled on Rick Steves' books so I'm at a loss when I go somewhere he doesn't cover.
Vernada
AG
I leave next week.

How common are ATMs? Should I load up at the airport in San Jose? Or are they pretty easy to find around Arenal?
notheranymore
We currently have a quick trip planned to Jamaica over the 4th of July weekend and are investigating back-up options due to the unrest there. We know nothing about CR and wondered which coast wast better, etc.? We like a sandy beach, not a cliff. Can we get that there?
defroach
quote:
How common are ATMs? Should I load up at the airport in San Jose? Or are they pretty easy to find around Arenal?

I cant speak for that specific location, but I have never had any problems finding ATMs in central america, especially if it is a place where there are some tourists. I would say you will be fine.
dorej
How was the trip? Does anyone else have any information for a vacation in Costa Rica? About the only thing I know for sure, is that we want to do zip lining one day, fishing another, and a whole lot of relaxation. -Jerod
K05
AG
Only one guide book should be used in CA - Lonely Planet.
Vernada
AG
Great trip.

We did a zipline tour one day which was a blast.

We also took a tour that drove us up to the Caño Negro area (close to Nicaragua) where we took a boat tour down the river looking at wildlife.

We stayed a resort in the Arenal area that had hot spring fed pools.

In general, it was a great trip. Plenty of relaxing. Plenty of fun stuff to do.
MW03
AG
going next week
FTAG 2000
AG
Leave Dec. 4, staying in Playa Potrero. Doing Arenal, zip lining, some diving, beach time, and general R&R.
MW03
AG
Man, I freaking love Costa Rica away from San Jose. What a great country. More expensive than I anticipated, but some of the nicest people I've met while travelling.

I would definitely make another visit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.