Your favorite destination in Italy ?

9,974 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by timwags06
speckledtrout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Considering a trip there next year and would be interested in reading some opinions. Any help would be appreciated.
Aggie71013
AG
Visited Venice last summer before catching a cruise and I loved it. It is so different. You can just wander and get lost on the streets. I would make it a stop on your tour.
Dr. Devil Dog
How long will you be there, have you been before, do you prefer cities or the countryside or a combination?

Here is my recent trip report of Italy:

http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1410476&forum_id=54

[This message has been edited by Mrs. 96CH53 (edited 5/27/2009 7:43a).]
wessimo
AG

Hard to beat a few days hiking around Cinque Terre

Sr. Gomez
I like Venice and Tuscany for the pure Italian experience. Skip Milan if you are a first timer.
TXCityAggie
AG
I loved every place I've visited in Italy....it's hard to choose!

If I had to pick I would say The Cinque Terre and Siena
NE PA Ag
Agree that it's hard to choose. I haven't been to Cinque Terre or Venice, but I highly recommend the Amalfi coast. One of the best places I have ever been too. If you go there, try to stay in Positano and plan to drive up and down the coast at least twice. Stunningly beautiful. Definitely visit Sorrento and at least take the boat for a day trip to the island of Capri.

You are also very close to Pompei (you can take a train there from Sorrento, but I recommend a car anyway). Herculaneum is another less known site well preserved by the ancient Vesuvius eruption, just like Pompei and near there. Even better are the Greek temples and ruins at Paestum, which is also pretty close to Positano, but further south, where Pompei is further north. If you have time, it's worth another day trip.

It would honestly be hard to see everything there is to see and grab a bit of R&R in a week's time if you go there.

Positano:

ZoneClubber
AG
quote:
but I highly recommend the Amalfi coast

+1

spend a day/night in Capri. small island, big fun.
S.S.Aggie
Cinque Terra
Amalfi Coast
Florence/Sienna

You can't go wrong!
Ric Flair
Cinque Terre

The whole area of Tuscany is nice. We went to a small town called San Gimignano. Cool little town.
nic01o
AG
just got back. cinque terre has definitely changed and become more commercialized and touristy thanks to Rick Steves (thanks for nothing -- but I'd still go again....

Tuscany is great. Base out of Florence or Sienna for a couple days and do some day trips by train or car. If you're a wine drinker don't forget Barolo, Alba, Dogliani, and all those small winery towns. its a blast.
speckledtrout
Mrs.96CH53 - Absolutely beautiful pictures. Thanks to you and everyone else that posted.

quote:
How long will you be there, have you been before, do you prefer cities or the countryside or a combination?

Not sure how long we'll be there since we're just in the process of making plans. It's highly likely that our stay will be based in France with an eye towards spending 2-3 days in northern Italy. I would guess either May or August. I've never been to Europe and I tend to gravitate to countryside destinations, but definitely not opposed to cities. At this point, it appears that we'd have just enough time to make 1, possibly 2 destinations in Italy. I think my main goal would be to pick a spot that would allow us to get a small but very enjoyable sampling of the food, wine, scenery and culture. Call it a "test drive" if you will.
NE PA Ag
Word of advice, unless your stay in France is going to be several days (at least 10, possibly more), I would pass on a 2 to 3 day visit to Italy and stay in France. There will be more than enough to see and do there. Plan to go to Italy another time.

People going to Europe for the first time almost always try to pack too many destinations into the trip, because there really is so much to see. You will have a much nicer time if you pick fewer destinations. I think you should average at least 4 to 5 nights based in each destination if at all possible, or you will feel like you are spending most of your time getting from one place to another. Plan to take a couple of day trips from your base to see more. Eurail/backpacking college age summer trips are an exception to this to a degree.
Dr. Devil Dog
If they flew into Milan, spent two-three nights up at either Lake Como or Lake Maggiano then headed to southern France for a few days then maybe hit the Loire then leave out of Paris I think it might be doable.
Ogre09
AG
Venice or any small town in Tuscany.
emmalou
We loved Cinque Terre (although it was 5 years ago). I also really liked Florence. We stayed there a little longer than planned.
Danger Mouse
AG
Cinque Terre was awesome. But from what pictures I have seen of Lake Como, that place looks totally unreal.

AG
To me the perfect trip would be Venice for two days, Florence for two days, Rome for three days and Naples, Amalfi area four days. That would give you a good flavor of each city as well as time to see most of the things most everyone wants to see while in the area.

Venice speaks for itself - wander the streets.

Florence - much history, art and shopping here.

Rome - I have been there a total of four days, but the Colosseum is the only building I have seem more than once other than St. Peters. (That one I saw from below on the Scavi excavation tour the last time).

Naples archeology museum, Pompeii or Herculaneum for the disaster overview, Capri for its beauty - be sure to walk all the way to the back of the island, Sorrento for the music boxes, Positano for the views, people watching and food, Amalfi as a possible starting point, Revello and the Roman villa now the Villa Cimbrone hotel. This whole area is fantastic.

Gig 'em Aggies!

Diet Cokehead
AG
Positano and Ravello.

Absolutely incredible.

I wish we hadn't even wasted 3 days in Rome after I got the Amalfi Coast.
BringJackieBack89
AG
1. Radda in Chianti
2. Sienna
3. Florence
Post removed:
by user
Spore Ag
Planning a trip to Alba for the White Truffle festival. Any info on this or other towns in the area. Love Piedmont wines.
etexorange
Amalfi Coast!
Gigem74
AG
venice and florence were always my favorites.
Random Ag
AG
Positano or Rome with Venice as a closed second
akm99
AG
When we were there...we went to Florence, Rome Venice and Lake Como. Love...Love..Love Lake Como! It is so layed back and beautiful!
LadyOfTheLake
Venice, Rome, Florance, and Pisa are MUSTS

Venice is really different and just know you are going to get lost, it's ok you'll have more fun that way...it was the richest country at one point so there is a LOT of gold in the palace. Make sure to take the "secret passageway tour" of the palace, it is only a few euros more and well worth it!

Rome is historic and an amazing sight, it is really neat to see ruins right next to new buildings and just wandering around the city and randomly bumping into the Colosseum...a really fun city with good food and lots to see. You must see the Vatican while you are in Rome as well...museum AND church and go to the Coppola to get the amazing view of the Vatican.

Florence is really beautiful, good history there as well...obviously you have to see the Church, Dante's house and church and the Academia Museum (the David is there)

Pisa is a lot of fun to see and walk up and take pictures but you really only need 2-3 hours MAX there...train in, bus to tower (lina rosa - red line in italian but i probably spelled it wrong, go up, take pics, head out!

*for the BEST advice listen to this guy: http://www.ricksteves.com/
Foamcows
AG
Civita di Bagnoregio
speckledtrout
I'm guessing that most of the people that I would encounter in either rural France or Italy would be friendly and pleasant. Would most of you say this is accurate ? I don't speak French or Italian and I was wondering what type of difficulties some of you have encountered.
Dallasag02
AG
Most of the people we met were great, even though we stuck out as obvious tourists. If you just make a little bit of an effort to speak the language (even one or two words), they are great. Just be deferrential to their culture and they'll treat you very well.
Ol Waco Ag
AG
Any of you have any insight on Sicily?
akaggie05
AG
Cinque Terre and Sorrento were my two favorites.
Post removed:
by user
UTGrad02
Surprised that Venice got so much love on this thread. Highly overrated IMO. Glad I saw once, but probably least likely place I'll return to.

Rome was the place I was most glad I got to see. The history is just amazing. The place I'm most likely to return is Florence/Tuscany region. Florence is a great home base and best food in a country of amazing food. My next trip I would like to spend more time in the surrounding region (maybe use Sienna as a home base - very cool city).

I also agree Cinque Terre is awesome, but may want to check on status of rebuilding from the flood if planning a trip anytime soon.
Ol Waco Ag
AG
Will be in Siciky 6/16- 6/23... Lost familybargument.. Wanted to go to sardina..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.