Jackson, WY - Snow King

1,091 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by 313-7-12thMan
313-7-12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I posted yesterday about a comparison between Breckenridge and Jackson. Now it seems the majority want to try Jackson. I've never been to either. Tell me all there is to know about Jackson and the Snow King Resort. Thanks in advance.
evermoreAg
AG
First, I have never skiied there though we did drive up there and have lunch during the summer. I have been to the Jackson area several times (including honeymoon)but we never really consider it for skiing. So, I can't really comment on th resort or the skiing. But I can comment on Jackson. Neat town with many outstanding restaurants. There is also an excellent art museum devoted to wildlife art. When we went the first time, we expected to stay about 15 minutes and ended up thoroughly enjoying a couple of hours (and really were not ready to leave then). And, I am told that it's fun to go to the elk preserve in the winter. You will enjoy the area and might even run into a former US vp.
cplatt
I would say overall it is a great place to ski(lift prices, ski terrain, snowfall, surroundings, restaurants), but there is Jackson and Snow King, and then just up the road there is Teton Village with its own slopes. And yes the elk refuge was amazing in the winter.
buzzardb267
AG
Snow King is in Jackson, literally. It is in the edge of town. It had night skiing at one time. You can likely stay and ski there cheaper than Teton Village.

Teton Village has more challenging runs, more night life(last time I was there) and is a little more ritzy. At one time it billed itself as the greates vertical drop in N. America, or something like that.

Wait for WyoAg to weigh in. He will likely be the resident expert.
NITESIDE
I agree with all of above. Both summer and winter jackson is just an overal better experience. Good rafting in the summer also...bout 28 miles from south entrance to Yellowstone. Great bars, good resturants, decnet loging at decent prices.
Many of the shops are operated by "Old world" craftsmen and artist.
Lots to do in town and many more levels of sking avaialble. Snownmobile, dogsleds and of course, the sled ride in winter into the National Elk herd is just falt cool. Esp. for the kids.
313-7-12thMan
Update... Snow King condo's have been booked for December. I've been on the Snow King website extensively. All in all it looks pretty cool. The free shuttles to Teton and Targhee are a plus too.

So it looks like everyone likes the town of Jackson (shopping, night life, restaurants, etc.) so now I need details. What are the good bars, restaurants, etc. Also it looks like the elk reserve is a must see. Someone mentioned dog sledding. That sounds cool. Thanks to all for the information so far.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.