Grand Tetons NP & Yellowstone Area

1,471 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by boulderaggie
WestAustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been taking my family to the Rocky Mountains for several years now (wife and 2 kids under 5). I am considering going a little bit farther this summer and seeing Yellowstone area. We usually stay in rustic cabins or the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes. About Yellowstone I have 2 questions;

1) Are there cabins or lodge that are available within the park -- i've heard they are impossible to get if you dont reserve years in advance.
2) If you can't get an in-park cabin is there an area (Jackson Hole or West Yellowstone that would be a good place to stay while visiting the park?

I've never been to this area so thoughts from those that are experienced would be appreciated.

Thanks
ccard257
AG
Google "Goosewing Ranch" and call those guys. Nice cabins way up a canyon in Grand Teton national forest.
cplatt
I second Goosewing, if nothing else to do an activity with. If you are wanting to do both Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone then Jackson is a great destination. There are places to stay within the park but there is limited availability as you said.
SA68AG
AG
I found most of the places inside Yellowstone pretty underwhelming. That being said they're still inside the park. Grand Teton has a couple of nice places - Jenny Lake lodge and Jackson Lake Lodge. Call around, there might be something available.
NITESIDE
There are tons of decent places to stay at each entrance to the Park. In the summer I prefer Jackson cause it is a pretty neat little town. In the winter West Yellowstone. I've stayed in the park in the Winter and well...it's pretty sweet, but I thoink the Park is just too crowded during the summer and yes, you need a year in advance minimum to get a place there. They have the Lodges and some very cool little cabins.
Teslag
AG
1) People cancel all the time, just keep checking the Xanterra website. We were able to move from Grant Village to Roosevelt cabins just a week or so before our trip.

2) The Snake River KOA had Kamping Kabins that sit right above the Snake River. They sleep 4 comfortably and have heaters. We only stayed there for one night (before we entered Yellowstone) but wish we'd have stayed longer. It was GORGEOUS and so peaceful.
boulderaggie
AG
Try and get a room at the Old Faithful Inn. It's the largest log structure in America (and the world?). It's a wonderful experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.