Glacier Natl Park

2,991 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by nosoupforyou
Nocal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone been to Glacier recently? I'm planning a week there in September and am looking for some ideas to build into the itinerary. Thanks in advance!
Old Jock 1997
AG
Sorry, I can't be of any help. However, this is a trip I really want to take, so please post your details.

Thanks!
Vero143
Here are few threads to get you started. I will be happy to help you out, I was a Ranger there for a few years, so I know the park pretty well. What are you interested in doing mostly? How avid of a hiker are you? What kind of lodging are you considering?

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=34&topic_id=1206607
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=34&topic_id=1147109
Pro Sandy
AG
Went in early July with a friend and her family. There were a total of 10 of us, her parents, she and I, and her four little brothers and sisters under the age of 12.

We stayed in Polebridge. Nice place, 30 miles down the dirt road, with nothing but some cabins, a general store and a saloon. It is also one mile from an entrance to the park by Bowman Lake.

We spent 4 days, getting there Friday and leaving Monday.

Friday, drove across the park via the Going-to-the-Sun highway. Stopped at Logan pass and played in the snow. The trail to hidden lake was still snow covered then.

Saturday, rode our bikes 6 miles back to Bowman Lake and went swimming.

Sunday, drove to Avalanche and hiked to Avalanche lake for a picnic. Only a 2 mile hike, but the kids got side tracked climbing every boulder and playing in every tree and it took 2 hours one way.

Monday, packed up and went back to Bozeman via Hungry Horse dam. It is a famous hydroelectric dam. The kids enjoyed running around instead of sitting in the car.
dallasag_123
I am going in two weeks. Cant wait.
McNasty
AG
The highlights of our trip in June:

- Driving the Sun Road (the small par that was open)

- Many Glacier (good place to park and hike)

- Rafting trip on the Flathead, complete with trout dinner

- Enjoying a tall glass of moose drool while sitting by the fireplace in the lobby of the Many Glacier Lodge

- Lunch at 2 sisters, Dinner at the Park Cafe

- Lake Cruise on 2 Medicine

Old Jock 1997
AG
McNasty,

What is moose drool?
McNasty
AG
Dark Montana microbrew - first glass on the right:
Old Jock 1997
AG
Whew...I was afraid maybe you were speaking literally!!!

Glacier looks AWESOME. I can't wait to take the family someday.
YellowPot_97
AG
Awesome pictures Pro Sandy! You aren't carving your name in a tree in that one pic are you?
Pro Sandy
AG
yellowpot.

I am grabing the stick of the blond headed boy through the hole in the tree
McNasty
AG
For anyone planning a trip out to GNP, here's part of my budget:

$0910 Flight total (2 round trip)

$0277 Rental car (5-6 days)

$0160 Lodging (2 nights @$80/night) - Red Eagle @ St Marys

$0160 Lodging (1 night @$160/night) - Many Glacier Lodge

$0030 Backcountry reservation

$0020 Park fees (2 people, 2 nights @ $5 per)

I found the flights and rental car through kayak.com. We flew NWA from DFW to Minn. to Glacier International. Hope this helps.
Nocal
Wow! I wasnt expecting such a great reply. Thanks all of you. I'm going to have to sit down this weekend and map out some of the places on here. Awesome! Keep em coming. Gig'em!
anaggiemom
S
Absolutely beautiful area!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
never been
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
never been
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
never been
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
[Thank you for cluttering this thread. Please feel free to clutter up another thread on this board in order to justify a thirty day ban. -Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 6/28/2013 3:49p).]
ursusguy
AG
Glacier is easily one of favorite places. I've been there 3 time, twice camping/backpacking and once roughing it in the assorted hotels.

Keep in mind that the east and west sides of the park are pretty different. The west side gets much more rain and has a lot more trees. The east side is visually pretty open.

The entire park is spectacular, but the following ares are my favorite----Belly River area, Many Glacier, Two Medicine, and on the west side, Polebridge and points north (Kintla and Bowman).

I am primarily interested in bears when I go, so the Many Glacier area draws me. Granted I've seen/found bears in most of the park

"Our nation’s continued prosperity hinges on our ability to solve environmental problems and sustain the natural resources on which we all depend.” John McCain November 22, 1996
"I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use our natural resources, but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob by wasteful use, the generations that come after us."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech, Washington, D.C., 1900

MidnightYell2003
AG
Lake McDdonald in May

Pro Sandy
AG
yell, that is a gorgeous picture!
SA68AG
AG
Glacier is simply one of the great National Parks that everyone needs to see. Be warned, if you go once you'll keep going back. I especially like hiking to the various passes like Swift Current, Siyeh Pass etc. Looking forward to doing Dawson Pass in the Two Medicine area next year.
2001%er
AG
Glacier is great, as is Banff/Lake Louise on the Canadian side. You'll have a great time!
nosoupforyou
AG
wow - some great advice - not sure if any people from this thread are still on TexAgs but thank you all for the recommendations!

I am headed up there mid-July - should I expect snow??

Taking my family of 6 up (kids ages 8-14) so shorter hikes of 1-2 miles are better for us I would think

In Two Medicine area - what's best -Scenic Point? Paradise Point? Upper Two Medicine Lake? No Name Lake?

In Waterton Area - which is best - Red Rock Canyon Loop? or Cameron Lake? Or Bertha Lake? I really only have room for 1 of those? I'll be doing the Town of Waterton/Prince of Wales hotel, and also Bison Paddock loop, but really just have room for 1 more and trying to decide between those 3 - maybe could move things around and do 2

appreciate the advice!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.