Key West questions

1,980 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by Frisco - Ag
OKCTexAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Part of my honeymoon will be spent in the Keys and my fiancee and I would like to spend a day in Key West.

I've heard about the main street there being something you need to go see with all the shops. Any suggestions on where to get a nice dinner? Anything else that is worth seeing or doing?
spadilly
S
check these:

http://buffettnews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68012&sid=66a0042f32ad296d50da8e189a0a935a

and

http://buffettnews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66000&sid=66a0042f32ad296d50da8e189a0a935a
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
It's called Duval Street. All kinds of neat eateries and drinkeries... I'd suggest taking the sunset in on the pier. They have a very unique celebration every night at sunset, then walk over to Duval street. I wish I could remember some of the names of the restaraunts, but it's been a few years. There's the typical chain place, Hard Rock Cafe, Margaritaville, but there's local places too. Definitely try a conch fritter. Lots of good cuban barbecue too.
TexAg03!
One of the bars on Duval is Sloppy Joe's. It is worth stopping by. There is a restaurant that I remember going to called Turtle Kraals, or something like that... They had awesome calamari!! Have fun!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Hog's breath saloon is good too. Along with Fat Tuesdays. Irish Kevin's is a fun atmosphere as well. Funny I remember more bars, than restaraunts. Wonder why?
TAMU_89
It's been about four or five years but my wife and I ate out on Little Palm Island. Private island/very romantic etc....
OKCTexAg
AG
We are actually staying at Little Palm Island. We will definitely be eating dinner there one or two nights. Thank you for all the suggestions so far.
Dr. Devil Dog
Irish Kevin's is the best.

A cab driver recommended this and it was pretty good:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-d447767/Key-West:Florida:Bagatelle.html

I'm not a big fan of shopping on Duval Street because they sell a lot of junk/touristy stuff. I do enjoy walking around the streets around Duval Street and seeing some of the nice older homes.

Do see Hemingway's house.

[This message has been edited by Mrs. 96CH53 (edited 4/29/2008 8:05a).]
chick79
AG
Key West is okay for a day trip...... I wouldn't waste any more time there though....... mostly a tourist trap with mediocre food IMO.........
Dr. Devil Dog
I also wouldn't consider doing any snorkel trips there. I wasn't very impressed.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
lots of cats and men that love men
Not my kind of place and yes, I have been there
FJB
AG
The rib and I visited the Keys and we didn't really like Key West all that much nor Islamorada.

While we had an ok time, we've decided that we'll likely not return.
Dr. Devil Dog
The men that love men mostly stick to one side of Duval. You'll figure out where the imaginary line is drawn if that is a concern.
CDub06
AG
I enjoyed Key West. The island lifestyle is very laid back and relaxing. The night life (Duval) is fun and goes on all night. The island is small enough to get around on Bike (which in my opinion is the best way).

A few nice places we ate at:

Michael’s Restaurant - This place was good, a little more casual than the others. Although, most establishments are "island casual"
Commodore Waterfront Restaurant - Good steakhouse on the waterfront, there were several good restaurants in this area.
Nine One Five - Wasn't that impressed with the menu.

Schooner Wharf was a cool place for breakfast

And I would agree, skip the snorkeling.
Rusty GCS
AG
B.O's Fish Wagon

-------------------------------------------------------

These greens are so fast I have to hold my putter over the ball and hit it with the shadow. ~Sam Snead
Potcake
AG
+1 for BO's

also check out Blue Heaven
dreyOO
just came back from a day trip in key west. to echo above, the snorkeling was only so-so...

does seem like a cool little place ... i could definitely stay entertained for a day or two...just taking things slow
Na Zdraví 87
AG
We hung out on Duval for a day. Sat in Hog's Breath and Sloppy Joes and people watched. Lot's of shops and such too.
army79
I have stayed at Little Palm Island many years ago and it was fantastic - I wouldn't waste more than 1 night to go into Key West for dinner. Book a waterfront (5 feet) table at Little Palm for dinner every night and enjoy the sunset and the Key Deer that swim up to your table - unbelievable. The food at Little Palm was better than anything in Key West
Rusty GCS
AG
The company I work for owns or manages Little Palm. It's the only property that the company manages that I don't get to stay at for $99/night

-------------------------------------------------------

These greens are so fast I have to hold my putter over the ball and hit it with the shadow. ~Sam Snead
DallasAg03
AG
+1 for Sloppy Joes
Frisco - Ag
AG
Irish Kevin's
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.