All I need to know about Cancun

1,532 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by TRD-Ferguson
AggiePlaya
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taking the family (wife, 2 kids ages 5 and 7). Does anyone have any 'beware', 'must see', 'avoid ___' type tips? Looking for anyone with experience in the past year to share any things to keep in mind...we are arriving on 3/22.
defroach
beware of drunk college kids that may still be lingering around from spring break....
Ducks4brkfast
AG
i'm curious too.

we'll be checking into the Westin April 28th.
SB in H-Town
Avoid the food and water and taxis late at night. Other than that have fun.

[This message has been edited by SB in H-Town (edited 3/11/2008 4:41p).]
Ducks4brkfast
AG
why avoid taxis late at night?

i hear the bus system is good.
dreyOO
day trip to xcaret might be worth your while to avoid the spring breakers
Aston04
AG
The only place around Cancun to consider using a bus is going to and from the airport. It's basically $5-$10 bucks everywhere else around Cancun and completely negotiable. Nail down the price before you step in the cab (you don't need to know Spanish to do this).

[This message has been edited by Aston04 (edited 3/11/2008 11:01p).]
SB in H-Town
Avoid taxis late at night if you have been drinking. I have heard stories of them taking people (mostly women) and robbing them.

[This message has been edited by SB in H-Town (edited 3/12/2008 8:23a).]
BMX Bandit
the westin is the futhest you can possibly be from the college kids downtown.

nice place, good food and great location IMO
David_Puddy
AG
quote:
we are arriving on 3/22.

Prepare for a lot of drunken debauchery.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
that's what i'm told, BMX Bandit. we'll see...
Old Main
AG
Consider these:

One of the ruins - Tulum is probably the easiest and the only major site on the coast

Day trip to Isla Mujeres - Take the ferry or a Catamaran there. Isla is laid back and fun to explore by foot or golf cart

Day trip to Cozumel - Cozumel is Mexico's largest island. A trip to the near deserted east coast of the island is fun

Snorkeling or Scuba - Do not leave Cancun/Cozumel without at least going snorkeling

Xcaret - I haven't been myself, but I've heard only great things

Other hotels - take some time to explore some of the incredible hotels on the island. Most of the interiors and lobbies are open air and spectacular.

Other beaches - I don't think the Westin has much of a beach. I think they sunk a huge concrete structure a few meters off the beach and screwed it up. Check out beaches further up the coast and on the "top" of the "7" where the water is calmer and easier to swim.

The markets downtown are fun and you can bargain. Don't buy souvenirs on the island.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
quote:
I don't think the Westin has much of a beach.

Interesting, cause everything I've read on TripAdvisor says that because the hotel was built further back than most others, it's got the most beach out front than just about any hotel on that stretch.
BMX Bandit
beach at Westin is huge.

good size waves.
dreyOO
yeah, as far as shopping, i think it was mercado 18 or 38 that was pretty good. nice seafood place there called sejas

also, if you have a chance, eat at mocambo on the north side of cancun...i had a chance to catch an evening dinner there (although i hear the lunch time buffets are friggin awesome) that was a really cool setting with the chica...

agree with old main's list
Old Main
AG
If the Westin is the hotel that is one or two hotels north of the southern point (where Club Med is located) then they most definitely had some concrete structure off the beach. Now this was probably four years ago before the hurricane and the beach reconstruction, so they may have moved that concrete structure since then.

Added later...

The beach at The Westin has definitely improved. The thing that I remember was that four years ago the Westin beach was so screwed up that they built this large "patio" about 5 feet higher than the surf and put sand, palm trees, palapas, and lounge chairs there so it felt like a beach.

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=b3afc05fa6a04ba4c6cd17be97a5ca44

Cancun Care is a great source of information as well.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 3/13/2008 9:47a).]
Gabster43213
Old Main (and others),

What are some of the nicer properties where the water is calmer? I have smaller children and would prefer the calmer water around Cancun.
ZoneClubber
AG
"Day trip to Isla Mujeres -"

I suggest staying there. The north end/beach is a little heaven on earth. Shallow/cal water for 100 yards. great place for kids.
Old Main
AG
Nice resorts on the bayside or top of the "7" where the water is calmer:

Dreams (also has a surfside beach): This hotel is at the northern point or elbow of the "7"

Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach: Located just west of Dreams

InterContinental El Presidente (Built in the early 1970s)

Riu (hotel on the left-side of photo)

These four come to mind - I'm sure there are others. The El Presidente is one of the original hotels built in Cancun in the early 1970s. It has probably been maintained and renovated properly, but it is a very old hotel (for Cancun).

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 3/15/2008 9:54p).]
Old Main
AG
Someone mentioned staying on Isla Mujeres. There is a hotel on Isla Mujeres that is actually on its own island separated from Isla Mujeres by a small channel so shallow you can walk across it. The hotel is called Avalon Reef and it is incredible.

[This message has been edited by Old Main (edited 3/15/2008 10:15p).]
ZoneClubber
AG
The one place you DON'T want to stay on isla mujeres is Avalon Reef = time-share crap hole.

there are many better options on North beach and everyone can enjoy the lagoon and beach.

isla mujeres is very laid back. walk around the quaint town, great food, tour the island by go-cart etc. if you're looking for the cancun party scene, it's not the place. If you want to walk out your condo steps away from the beach and thatch beach bars, es muy bueno.
OldAg93
AG
A day trip to Playa del Carmen or Puerto Morelos is fun as well. Playa del Carmen gets more of a European crowd and the main square downtown is great for people watching and shopping.
Gabster43213
Old Ag (and others),

I wish there was a place where my kids (one teen, one close to being) could enjoy the calm waters during the day and my wife and I could enjoy some good nightlife at night. Sounds as though you almost have to pick one over the other.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
We were down there in February and loved it. The beaches around the Hilton/Westin do have some type of concrete or rock structure out in the water about knee deep and further. It can be painful.

The food and water at the resorts and the nicer restaurants are fine.

Don't buy any souveniers. You can buy the same thing here for less money.

Nice golf courses. Don't tick off the crocodiles though!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.