Mind blowing Steve Carlton stat I heard this week

1,609 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by 94chem
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Somehow this came up during a Cardinals radio broadcast. 1972 was Carlton's first year with the Phillies. The team went 59-97 that season. Carlton was 27-10. How good do you have to be to win 27 games on a team that only wins 59?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Philadelphia_Phillies_season
Quote:

Carlton was 27-10 and the team was 30-85 when Carlton did not pitch. No pitcher in the twentieth century won as high a proportion of his team's victories (45.8%). Carlton also led the N.L. in ERA (1.97), strikeouts (310), and innings pitched (346.1).

DallasAg 94
That's pretty interesting.

What makes the statistic of % of teams Ws even more interesting is that in 1973, the Phillies moved from a 4man rotation in '72... to a 5man rotation in '73.

I believe the Dodgers were the 1st to go to a 5man rotation just prior to that time. I think that makes a SP to reach that % even more unlikely to reach.
jkag89
dabo man said:

Somehow this came up during a Cardinals radio broadcast. 1972 was Carlton's first year with the Phillies. The team went 59-97 that season. Carlton was 27-10. How good do you have to be to win 27 games on a team that only wins 59?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Philadelphia_Phillies_season
Quote:

Carlton was 27-10 and the team was 30-85 when Carlton did not pitch. No pitcher in the twentieth century won as high a proportion of his team's victories (45.8%). Carlton also led the N.L. in ERA (1.97), strikeouts (310), and innings pitched (346.1).

Even the Redbirds radio crew reads TexAgs!

dabo man
AG
It was Ricky Horton that said it. If you're reading this Ricky, you're a twit, and I enjoy the games that Mike Claiborne covers for you more than the games you do. Mike Shannon (RIP) did your job so much better than you do it.

Royals radio >> Cardinals radio
jja79
AG
After 1971 the Cardinals traded Carlton to the Phillies for Rick Wise. During the 71 season Wise pitched a no hitter and hit 2 HR in the game. Pretty incredible as well.

Franz Joseph
I listened to a Astros vs Phillies game pitched by Carlton around that time. I don't remember the score, but the time of the game was 1:30 minutes. I'm sure it was a complete game. All pitchers were expected to finish nine innings. Now the average game duration is over three hours.
Bobaloo
Haven't thought about Carlton in many years. What a horse! A joy to watch. In total command of the pitching craft.
Barnacle
AG
Dude was incredible. I remember the days when we were tracking Nolan going for the career KO record and Carlton was right there nipping at his heals for awhile.
McInnis
AG
In the late 70s/early 80's there was something of consensus among sportswriters that he would end up with the career strikeout record. He was famous for a healthy lifestyle which included a form of eastern meditation and the assumption was that his longevity would exceed Ryan's. But Nolan just kept plugging away.
94chem
McInnis said:

In the late 70s/early 80's there was something of consensus among sportswriters that he would end up with the career strikeout record. He was famous for a healthy lifestyle which included a form of eastern meditation and the assumption was that his longevity would exceed Ryan's. But Nolan just kept plugging away.

Nolan had 301 K's in 1989 at age 42, and pitched 239 innings. No words.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.