10 cent beer night goes wrong 50 years ago

2,005 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by McInnis
annie88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bag
AG
I recently ordered a couple of these on ebay, great story, esp since i grew up just outside of cleveland

monarch
S
Isnt Municipal Stadium the location where they had a contest or whatever to throw away your old '45 records? That was a disaster- Bill Veck authored that didn't he?
Peace for Ukraine!
halfastros81
AG
I recall Nickel beer night in the Astrodome if Astros hit
A homer when the flashing red light was on. I believe the light alternated on and off every other
Minute . I want to say it was 80's. Lines were long but don't recall any real trouble.
Big Al 1992
AG
halfastros81 said:

A homer when the flashing red light was on. I believe the light alternated on and off every other
Minute . I want to say it was 80's. Lines were long but don't recall any real trouble.

They had beer buzzer night. Astros vs Expos. If Mark Lemongello struck out Gary Carter when the light was on, free beer or nickel beer the rest of the inning. He struck out early but the light wasn't on and there was a lot of unhappy people. My dad took us to get ice cream and we were in line the next time Carter was up. Light was on, Carter struck out, and if you've ever seen a soccer crowd storm the gates, that's what it felt like in the beer line . No ice cream for us as dad whisked us away from one line to the other. Good times.
MaxPower
monarch said:

Isnt Municipal Stadium the location where they had a contest or whatever to throw away your old '45 records? That was a disaster- Bill Veck authored that didn't he?
Comiskey
GrapevineAg
AG
Hello Win Column!!
monarch
S
Ok, close enough.
Peace for Ukraine!
McInnis
AG
halfastros81 said:

Haha! When the orange light was one and an Astro hit a long fly ball the aisles would be instantly jammed with people trying to get in line first. Then when it was caught the fans would slowly trudge back to their seats.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.