***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,692,988 Views | 66443 Replies | Last: 28 min ago by agproducer
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
While this wasn't the ending we wanted, after the horrid start we had I'm glad we won the division again and made the playoffs. Shoutout to the regulars on here: Farmer, Porkchop, Mathguy, Beau, Spadilly and his off day gifs, W, 2015 and his insider info, and the many many more I can't think of right now.

Thanks to all of you for making this thread my fav thread on TA, and no it's not because I start it .
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
AggieJ2002
AG
Did they ever show an angle on the double of how fair the double down the line was?

They hit the foul pole and then have that double sneak just inside the line (I assume since I never saw it). Really representative of the season. Should not have come to that. The lock down back end of the pen has to be lock down in October or you going home.
jkag89
Hornbeck said:

jkag89 said:

Finally let LMJ ride off into the sunset? - Not sure how the deal is structured, is there some sort of opt out? If not the Astros are on the hook.

If they can prove he medically can't play (like Strasburg) then hopefully they have insurance and get made whole that way. In the case of the Nats, they didn't have insurance.
Does that money still count towards the luxury tax?
Hornbeck
AG
I don't believe so, if they go that route.
I could be wrong…
All I do is Nguyen
Breggy already better than Cole

No matter what!
mwm
And, Baltimore is gone.
Wabs
AG
Congrats Yuli!
MaxPower
All I do is Nguyen said:

Breggy already better than Cole

We have some high expectations….In all seriousness, I'm not so certain he isn't back. I can't think of any obvious suitors for him. I'm not saying he is Pennie's on the dollars but there's a world where he signs for 5 years, $125M ish and we are that huckleberry. Suarez reemerging was probably the best thing that could have happened for us.

Down the stretch really made me think we have two DH….Altuve and Yordan. Yordan were an ok OF but you just can't risk losing his bat and he's already seemingly duct taped together. Altuve is just a butcher at 2B and given his age it's likely to get worse. I don't know how you fix having your two best (at least best signed for multiple years) players being bat only "position" players. I'd still like to see Altuve at least give LF a try. His sprint speed is still solid and his stone hands can be covered up a bit in an OF spot but his arm is an issue anywhere. 2B is simply a more important defensive position than LF.
07ag
AG
Wabs said:

Congrats Yuli!

I missed that he was with the royals now, good for him getting to the alds!
https://ts.la/eric59704
Ags #1
AG
Imo Those last 2 years of that deal would be an anchor
Sher Thing
AG
I hope they bring Bregman back. Obviously with Tucker coming up that's the big issue but man Bregman is just built different. Tuck with another underwhelming playoffs this year.
MaxPower
Ags #1 said:

Imo Those last 2 years of that deal would be an anchor
Probably but any significant free agent is going to be similar. Thats the issue, you can't keep losing guys when the farm sucks so you have to sign someone. I can't come up with any impact bats where you aren't just massively overpaying the last half. If it were my money I'd give Soto half a bill and trade Tucker and Framber. At least I know I'm getting 6-7 years of prime Soto. I'd envision it similar to what Harper has given the Phils. Crane would rather sign the 32+ guys because it's "only" 3 years even though you might only get 1 good season (or none from Abreu)
BTKAG97
AG
3 years for $100 million is fair for Bregman, IMO. That would be put in the same boat as Altuve. I just dint know how you give more to Bregman over Altuve.
Faustus
linkdude said:

Fuzzy image of Correa's wife no doubt.
Beau Holder
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

While this wasn't the ending we wanted, after the horrid start we had I'm glad we won the division again and made the playoffs. Shoutout to the regulars on here: Farmer, Porkchop, Mathguy, Beau, Spadilly and his off day gifs, W, 2015 and his insider info, and the many many more I can't think of right now.

Thanks to all of you for making this thread my fav thread on TA, and no it's not because I start it .

Looking forward to next year's.
tjack16
AG
Rally baby is bummed but she said "we will be back next year, re-sign Bregman and get more arms"

scd88
AG
Enjoyed the year, Astro Buddies. Thank you. It has been an incredible run; I'm not going to Yankee fan it and take it for granted. What the Astros have done is amazing. Not only did I get a World Series title in my lifetime, I ****ing got 2!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team retools - see you folks on the off season thread.
MaxPower
BTKAG97 said:

3 years for $100 million is fair for Bregman, IMO. That would be put in the same boat as Altuve. I just dint know how you give more to Bregman over Altuve.
He's a lot younger so if you're referring to total dollars that's why.
West Roxbury
Start winning home games damnit.
Mathguy64
AG
When do we start the offseason thread? It's been so long since we went out this early I forgot the rules.
All I do is Nguyen
Isn't it after the WS?
No matter what!
Boiling Denim
Oof just read the Astros had 47 straight playoff wins when going into the 8th with a lead? Woof we really need to figure out the 8th inning situation next season. Having Hader throwing multi-inning son consecutive days ain't the answer
Ags #1
AG
Abrue is the guy imo. But who throws the 7th then ?0
spadilly
S

Feels like a goodbye.
MaxPower
Boiling Denim said:

Oof just read the Astros had 47 straight playoff wins when going into the 8th with a lead? Woof we really need to figure out the 8th inning situation next season. Having Hader throwing multi-inning son consecutive days ain't the answer
that was on our manager. Don't think it was necessary to pitch yesterday, especially knowing he was likely to pitch the next two days in a row. Pressly appears to just be near the end unfortunately.
BTKAG97
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Only 2 WS out of this run is realistically a failure. I think it's finally over. Altuve is going to have an extremely hard time getting the HR record.
The Braves won the NL East 11 years in a row and only made it to the WS 3 times and only winning one of those. Were they are failure?
Marvin
AG
I'm rooting for a Padres-Tigers WS, but please let it draw more eyeballs than last year. I like playing that trump card on the trash thread, haha.
W
AG
generally speaking...the Astros don't let players they want to keep reach free agency

they extend them beforehand.

see Altuve, Yordan, Javier, et al
Juan Solo
AG
He did get a slight bump extension when Lumhiw was here I believe
The Porkchop Express
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

My personal highlight this year was getting banned for a month for reposting a picture from the Rangers game that didn't have anyone's face in the picture

The Porkchop Express
AG
Every one who picked a player back in March should definitely pen a wee testimonial on how awesome they were this year.
agproducer
AG
I'm ready for my offseason shopping list.
tjack16
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Every one who picked a player back in March should definitely pen a wee testimonial on how awesome they were this year.

Cristian Javier. Every year you've been healthy the Astros have made the ALCS. It is no coincidence that the year you were injured is the year we did not make it. You were clearly the glue behind our team and we wish you a happy road to recovery.
houag78
AG
I was sitting behind Astros dugout looking straight down left field line. The dude smoked that ball - never a doubt it was going to be fair - landed about 20 ft inside the foul line.
AustinCountyAg
The amount of idiot, non baseball knowing posting in this thread for the past four hours is sickening. What the Astros have accomplished over this run has been nothing short of a DYNASTY. It's unsustainable and unrealistic for everyone to have expectations of a World Series team every year. Yes, that is the goal but to think it will happen with ease every year is just impossible. Everyone needs to sit back and enjoy what we've all witnessed over the years.

All the "trade tuck", "trade breg", "shoulda kept Hinch" crap is ridiculous. It should be obvious for everyone to see that post season baseball is all about getting hot in October. End of story. The best, complete team does not consistently win the WS. The Astros bring back a great young staff and will be in position to compete for next year and the following years. Name of the game is being good enough to get in the playoffs and then see what happens. This doom and gloom stuff is sickening to read.

First Page Last Page
Page 1897 of 1899

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.