***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,352,550 Views | 60922 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by Beat40
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Twins win 4-2. They are up a game on Detroit. And that puts the losers in North Oklahoma dormi for getting to officially pack their lockers.
Prosperdick
AG
I'll be shocked if the rangerettes keep a game within 3 runs this weekend. Such losers.
Hornbeck
AG
Magic Number:

Wabs
AG
Rangers can SMD. Thanks for nothing one season everyone with a career year wonders.
Big Al 1992
AG
So one more start for JV? Hard stop after 4 innings - then make a decision on playoffs?
BayAg_14
BayAg_14 said:

Angels haven't scored 10 runs all year. We are good.

This is actually a crazy stat. Angels are the only team in the MLB to not score 10 runs this season. Every other team has done it multiple times. Even the White Sox.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

So one more start for JV? Hard stop after 4 innings - then make a decision on playoffs?
I don't need another start to know he shouldn't be on the postseason roster
KTAG05
AG
Mathguy64
AG
He came back from the neck injury fast? Is he saying he's still injured?
KTAG05
AG
More from JV

fullback44
AG
Verlander has done a lot for this organization, I hope he gets a spot but I'm not the coach.. I'm just a couch potato coach
BayAg_14
Love you JV. Thank you for everything you brought to H-Town. Hope you go into the Hall as an Astro.
wildmen09
AG
fullback44 said:

Verlander has done a lot for this organization, I hope he gets a spot but I'm not the coach.. I'm just a couch potato coach

Nothing but his name really supports getting a spot right now. He's our 6th best starter and not really an option for the bullpen.

It sucks.

He's a massive asset in the clubhouse and in the dugout.
Big Al 1992
AG
And you're still in the dugout/bullpen when you're not on the playoff roster. I hope he finds something next outing. Make him an opener - give him 3 innings?
tjack16
AG
Missed the entire game because I was seeing Kevin Hart in sugar land…. Looking at the box score it appears that Verlander in fact had not found it?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
spadilly
S

Not much better than fireworks at a baseball game.

BadAggie
AG
White Sox take the Padres to extras. Go figure.
BCEDAg
AG
BadAggie said:

White Sox take the Padres to extras. Go figure.

That's how baseball goes.
RED AG 98
AG
3 innings of great JV with good location and swing and miss. Was trouble from there.
W
AG
good Twins & Tigers results today
JB!98
AG
Just got home from a High School game. Almost forgot. 4

LB12Diamond
AG
Those are great times to attend
mwm
Winner. Winner.

gambochaman
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

And you're still in the dugout/bullpen when you're not on the playoff roster. I hope he finds something next outing. Make him an opener - give him 3 innings?

Can you really afford that in a playoff roster? That would put your bullpen at a huge disadvantage having to cover 6 innings every 4th game

I guess unless you tandem him with ronel or arrighetti?
gambochaman
AG

Adorbs
Wabs
AG
Would be nice to sweep LAA and get the magic number down to 2 before the Seattle series. That would mean beat them once and the win the division. Of course, I assume the Arlingtons will lay down and allow Seattle to trample them. They suck so bad.
Mathguy64
AG
A magic number of 1 or 2 is the same for us once we play Seattle. Beating them takes 2 off the number.
Harry Dunne
I agree that JV doesn't have the stuff to be in the playoff rotation right now.

But for those of you saying, he's not an option for the bullpen, CFM and Lance had never pitched out of the bullpen until the postseason. Remind me how that went.

Also, the last guy in the bullpen typically makes a token appearance, if even that. In all last year's wildcard series, I don't think any team pitched more than 10 guys total. In the 2022 World Series, Hunter Brown and Will Smith didn't even pitch.

I can think of a few instances where JV would be a lot more valuable than whoever that guy ends up being. If a starter melts down in the first inning, for instance. Which let's face it, with our youth and and experience could easily happen.
Farmer1906
AG
Starter meltdown insurance would more likely be Blanco in the WC & DS & Spaghetti in the CS & WS.

Would you feel more comfortable bringing in Ort or JV for a 5th inning to get 3 outs?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Starter meltdown insurance would more likely be Blanco in the WC & DS & Spaghetti in the CS & WS.

Would you feel more comfortable bringing in Ort or JV for a 5th inning to get 3 outs?
JV, 100%

It's just my gut feeling that JV would be better in that moment than an inexperienced guy with a negative career WAR whose inclusion is based on a few good outings this season.

But I'm just a fan. I'd be curious to know what the organization thinks about that internally. I guess we will find out.
Harry Dunne
Also, he looked good last night the first couple of innings. I think he's old and out of shape. But I think going hard for two innings, he might be very valuable. Whether he would go for that or not who knows, but I'm just saying it's not like he's got nothing left in the tank.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Realistically? Ort. Because he knows how to get hot faster to come in and is used to that. It would be better to use him as an opener. He gets 2-3 innings to start. Tell his to leave it all out there and not worry about pacing himself.

It's sucks but it's reality.

It would solve some things if JV went back on the IL for discomfort.

First Page Last Page
Page 1739 of 1741

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.