***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,294,554 Views | 60477 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Mathguy64
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
12-4 in our last 16 would get us to 90, Cleveland would need to go 6-10 if we want to win a tie breaker.

10-6 to 88 should get us in comfortably as the #3, which is what I'm expecting.
heavens11
AG
Stopped the bleeding
tjack16
AG
I'll take the win for sure

Now let's go at least 10-6 (or 9-7 with a series win over the seamen) the rest of the way and leave Seattle in the dust please!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If there was a Vegas prop bet for "Josh Hader gives up a HR in the 9th", Tanker123 would take it.
Forgot about that guy. How many millions is he up in his college football betting so far?
Mathguy64
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mathguy64 said:

If there was a Vegas prop bet for "Josh Hader gives up a HR in the 9th", Tanker123 would take it.
Forgot about that guy. How many millions is he up in his college football betting so far?

$1.37. That's 1 dollar and 37 cents.

ETA. Looks like he posts almost exclusively in F16. There he has safety in numbers.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Swept by the A's is officially off the Astros' bingo board.
cc10106
tjack16 said:

I'll take the win for sure

Now let's go at least 10-6 (or 9-7 with a series win over the seamen) the rest of the way and leave Seattle in the dust please!
This is a .500 team lately, so anything better would be huge.
Prosperdick
AG

Way to salvage a game baby!!!
Maroon&Fight
Home series + crap team somehow means we should expect the Astros to lose the series almost every time. Baffling how different the level of play is against good vs bad teams, but good thing bad teams don't make the playoffs
EastCoastAgNc
AG

"OK"... Sounds like Tommy John on both knees
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Tucker was also day to day at first. So was JV with sleep soreness
jkag89
tjack16 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Torn oblique for sure. Might be able to come back to have a Kirk Gibson moment in the postseason. Most likely won't be back until the middle of next season.

txags92
AG
tjack16 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

So I am assuming they are using an analog xray machine from 1977 to do their imaging since it missed Tucker's broken leg for months. Or they are lying again. One or the other.

ETA: Really reflects poorly on their major sponsor (Memorial Healthcare) to have so many guys where the team docs either completely miss the Dx or lie blatantly about it for months.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
We hope to have Altuve back sometime after the All-Star break next season. It will be like a big trade adding him back into the mix. At least until he has two set backs and shutdowns and doesn't actually play next year either.

Maybe 2026, though. Maybe. But for now he is day to day. Until the pillow monster gets him.
Wabs
AG
I pay literally no attention to injury news from the Astros.
txags92
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

We hope to have Altuve back sometime after the All-Star break next season. It will be like a big trade adding him back into the mix. At least until he has two set backs and shutdowns and doesn't actually play next year either.

Maybe 2026, though. Maybe. But for now he is day to day. Until the pillow monster gets him.
Is "Pillow Monster" Kate's new nickname?
tjack16
AG
Honestly I think the Astros coaches and front office should just refuse to answer injury questions . They won't be honest anyways so just make it a policy before the season that the media can't ask injury questions. Spare us the run around. Just refuse to discuss it
txags92
AG
tjack16 said:

Honestly I think the Astros coaches and front office should just refuse to answer injury questions . They won't be honest anyways so just make it a policy before the season that the media can't ask injury questions. Spare us the run around. Just refuse to discuss it
I agree. If you aren't going to be truthful, just don't answer. It really is a bad look to just lie all the time about this kind of stuff.
Marvin
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Like I said. All or nothing together. Bunch of women cycling together.

In the immortal words of Greg Maddux, chicks dig the sequencing.
Marvin
AG
txags92 said:

SpaceCityAg05 said:

I volunteer to be a sacrifice.
Prosperdick
AG
Marvin said:

txags92 said:

SpaceCityAg05 said:

I volunteer to be a sacrifice.
I already called it...plus my username checks out.
BayAg_14
The smoke and mirrors when it comes to this club and injuries is really frustrating.
BCEDAg
AG
My observations after watching the Astros and A's series:
1. Roofer is a stud - would love to see him in a Astros uniform someday.
2. Bleday is a player to watch the next few years. Think he's going to be really good.
3. Kotsay is really a good manager - seems to keep the players motivated and they play hard.
4. Singleton seems to be gaining confidence with more playing time - been impressed with his progress this season:
5. Finally - Bergman and Peña. Frustrating as hell to watch them come up in RISP situations. Peña doesn't have good plate discipline and Bregman probably won't be extended.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Singleton is fascinating. Every time he has received everyday playing time, his bat has heated up. I think it is actually safe to say that he is a truly decent player against RHP - not great, but truly decent. He is not a good defensive 1B, but he is also an actual 1B. While the other guys we have attempted to play there are better athletes, you can tell he has a better feel for the mechanics of playing 1B.

Obviously, if you have a chance to get a truly good player there, then you upgrade. But facing multiple needs this offseason, I can easily see a scenario where you choose to splurge for high-end player at another position (3B or OF) and bring back Singleton with a modest but legitimate RH platoon partner next season.

For example, you take a Christian Walker everyday and twice on Sundays over Singleton. But you also only have so much money to fill the gaps, so I can definitely see a possible future for him with the club.

I must say, RE24 finally gives a stat that backs up what my instincts have told me this year - his at bats are better than the numbers indicate. More often than not he actually takes pitches, puts up real at bats, and gets his share of extra base hits. As long as you hide him from LHP, you have a dirt cheap option available for a long time if you so choose it.
Mathguy64
AG
I've said all along. Find a cheap 1B RHH who puts LHP and platoon them with Big Jon. You get a better than average 1B for cheap. This was Dana's biggest miss this season. Maybe that's Dezenzo. Time will tell.
The Porkchop Express
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Singleton is fascinating. Every time he has received everyday playing time, his bat has heated up. I think it is actually safe to say that he is a truly decent player against RHP - not great, but truly decent. He is not a good defensive 1B, but he is also an actual 1B. While the other guys we have attempted to play there are better athletes, you can tell he has a better feel for the mechanics of playing 1B.

Obviously, if you have a chance to get a truly good player there, then you upgrade. But facing multiple needs this offseason, I can easily see a scenario where you choose to splurge for high-end player at another position (3B or OF) and bring back Singleton with a modest but legitimate RH platoon partner next season.

For example, you take a Christian Walker everyday and twice on Sundays over Singleton. But you also only have so much money to fill the gaps, so I can definitely see a possible future for him with the club.

I must say, RE24 finally gives a stat that backs up what my instincts have told me this year - his at bats are better than the numbers indicate. More often than not he actually takes pitches, puts up real at bats, and gets his share of extra base hits. As long as you hide him from LHP, you have a dirt cheap option available for a long time if you so choose it.
I guarantee you Singleton will win a playoff game with a HR this year.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Yep - not to beat the dead horse (nor is he the only guys who fits the type), but that is why someone like Canha would have been a good addition at the trade deadline. He still might be a decent addition in the offseason.

A veteran who should now be inexpensive that can be the right-handed side of platoons at both 1B and corner OF.

We need to upgrade at 1-2 of the spots in the lineup, but 1B may not be one where we have to splurge big bucks to see decent output.
Booma94
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I guarantee you Singleton will win a playoff game with a HR this year.
Can you imagine the bat flip? That might need to be a playoff bingo square- Singleton bat flip hits the rafters.
linkdude
AG
MaxPower
Poop slap bet?
Mathguy64
AG
linkdude said:

Was he mad at the Twins or was his translator in deep with the Shylocks and unable to cover the vig?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

linkdude said:

Was he mad at the Twins or was his translator in deep with the Shylocks and unable to cover the vig?

"Fort Myers coaches were notified by Lakeland coaches about Bender's pitch tipping following the game, sources said. Bender's willingness to tip pitches surprised Lakeland players, and there are no indications of wrongdoing from the Flying Tigers, sources said. Bender had told teammates he wanted the season to be over, according to sources."

Yeah he'll never play professional baseball again
Booma94
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

"Fort Myers coaches were notified by Lakeland coaches about Bender's pitch tipping following the game, sources said. Bender's willingness to tip pitches surprised Lakeland players, and there are no indications of wrongdoing from the Flying Tigers, sources said. Bender had told teammates he wanted the season to be over, according to sources."

He definitely will get his wish...
Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Mathguy64 said:

linkdude said:

I hope he has a plan B for the rest of his life because plan A just got pissed away.
First Page Last Page
Page 1660 of 1728

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.