Gunnar Henderson - Unanimous Rookie of the Year

2,042 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by BMX Bandit
Tibbers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Congrats Gunnar! O's get an extra first round draft pick as well!
Farmer1906
AG
He earned it. It wasn't a fluke like Harris's huge year in 2022. (not saying Harris is bad, but he hit the ball better in 23 yet couldn't match his 22 #s)

As an Astro fan, I would have loved to see what Yainer Diaz could have done with 600+ plate appearances.

Gunner .255 BA, .325 OBP, .489 SLG, .814 OPS
Yainer .282 BA, .308 OBP, .538 SLG, .846 OPS

Diaz only had 7 fewer doubles & 5 fewer home runs in 245 fewer PAs. He might have mad it interesting.
Tibbers
Diaz is a hell of a player. Never understood why he wasn't the starting catcher in the second half for the stros.

2019 draft for the O's, Adley in the first round, Gunnar in the second round. Two potential HOF players!
Farmer1906
AG
That is ridiculous.

That draft class is looking solid.

Bobby Witt Jr
Michael Harris II
Corbin Carroll
George Kirby
Josh Jung
Alek Manoah
Hunter Brown
Matt Brash
Shea Langeliers
Andrew Vaughn
Anthony Volpe
Bryson Stott
The Porkchop Express
AG
I also thought Matthew was more talented, but congrats!

astros4545
AG
Tibbers said:

Diaz is a hell of a player. Never understood why he wasn't the starting catcher in the second half for the stros.

2019 draft for the O's, Adley in the first round, Gunnar in the second round. Two potential HOF players!
Hall of Fame

?
94chem
Farmer1906 said:

He earned it. It wasn't a fluke like Harris's huge year in 2022. (not saying Harris is bad, but he hit the ball better in 23 yet couldn't match his 22 #s)

As an Astro fan, I would have loved to see what Yainer Diaz could have done with 600+ plate appearances.

Diaz only had 7 fewer doubles & 5 fewer home runs in 245 fewer PAs. He might have mad it interesting.
OPS 10 points higher than Adolis Garcia, and sitting on the bench half the time.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Tibbers
astros4545 said:

Tibbers said:

Hall of Fame

?
yes indeed
AggieEP
Henderson had an extremely weird year, he spent about 1/3 of it not driving in any runs, (14 RBIs through the end of May) and batting in the low .200s. Then suddenly in June things seemed to click and he became the obvious rookie of the year choice.

If you really want to see some weird splits, look up his stats in Orioles wins and losses. .958 OPS in wins, and .555 in losses. He really was a bellwether for the team. Still odd to be basically the worst hitter in baseball when his team loses, and one of the best when they win. (For those that need a point of reference, Martin Maldonado's OPS this year was .606, so Henderson was a worse hitter than Maldonado when his team lost)
CoachAg19
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Diaz only had 7 fewer doubles & 5 fewer home runs in 245 fewer PAs. He might have made it interesting.
There's no "might have" in my opinion. With the playing time that he EARNED and DESERVED, Yainer would've easily had the numbers to win AL ROY. He was absolutely robbed of that honor by his own manager.
Class of 2010
BMX Bandit
He earned it when Jung hurt his thumb.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.