Views of the pitch count at the ASG break

1,663 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by kb2001
McInnis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm curious - what is your opinion on the pitch count at the mid-point of its first season?

There were some pretty dire predictions about how it would ruin the purity of baseball, but I like it. To be fair, I've thought it was needed for some time. I realize I'm old and impatient and I've spent way too many hours of my life watching batters step put of the box to tighten their gloves. It seems they've adapted pretty well.

I grew up watching baseball games that were played in two and a half hours and I kind of like things returning to that. And honestly the pace of post season games these past few years has almost become unbearable to me, especially when watching games that my team wasn't playing in. What does everyone else think?
Ornithopter
AG
I've appreciated it. Being done around 2.5 hours instead of 3.5+ is so much more enjoyable.
aggiebird02
Quad Dog
AG
The biggest problem I've seen is when a pitcher gets batted around a bit and he's struggling physically as much mentally. They are breathing hard, sweating like crazy, and start to struggle even more. This happens especially in high pressure situations, the kind of situations that will happen more in playoffs.

I don't know the solution. Maybe give them more timeouts when runners are on base and their pitches are above a certain amount.

Other than that, I'm a fan.
Ornithopter
AG
I'd agree with that. I think they also need to allow for a longer walkup time between batters. I like the music and they cut it off so fast
Ag_07
AG
I don't mind it now but something needs to be done in the playoffs. I actually wouldn't be opposed to doing away with it all together in the playoffs.

Yeah games take longer but I like the suspense in big spots and some of the gamesmanship of a pitcher or batter stepping out and making his opponent think a little more. It adds to the suspense.

I also agree about how much it has affected pitchers. I don't think anyone was really expecting that. Hell it's ruined Manoah and sent him to the developmental league.
Mr.Ackar07
I'd change the rule to let the pitcher take a timeout that does not count towards his 2 "disengagements" to throw over to first per at bat.
justnobody79
increase the pitch clock to 30 seconds after the fifth inning in the playoffs, or something like that
gambochaman
AG
Love it
fire09
AG
Manoah began the season out of shape, and unready to play. He has returned to the majors and threw a gem against Detroit in his first start. I don't know if he's the best example for the pitch count affecting a players game. 400 other pitchers in the majors seem to have figured it out. Some quicker than others.
kb2001
AG
I like the clock more than I thought I would. Empty bases should be increased to 17 seconds

The negative I've seen is it needs a bit more time between batters, it really starts to affect pitchers. Extra time between batters would help, an extra timeout without throwing to pick off, or more overall mound visits would help this.

I also appreciate when the umpire cleans off the plate to give some time for the fans to cheer a guy. When a long time players leaves, and has his first game back at the old city, giving some time for the fans to acknowledge when he comes to bat is a good part of the game.

For batter timeouts, I'd like to see them get an extra one after the 8th or 9th pitch of an AB.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.