Once Upon a Time in Queens - new 303 for 30

1,821 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by OPAG
MAROON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SIAP

Has anyone watched this?

Lifelong Astros fan and that means I hate the 86 Mets - hate Strawberry, Gooden, Hernandez, Dykstra, etc. Freaking hate them.

This is a great 30 for 30. Some really cool stories going on in this show and some really cool things brought out about the Astros series and well as the Boston series. After watching I really have a new found respect for Gary Carter and Mookie and a few others on that team.

I still know exactly where I was watching game 6 of the NLCS.

And they all admitted if they had not won game 6 there was no way they were beating Mike Scott in game 7.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggie Davey Johnson led the Mets that year
W
AG
one unusual thing...the 86 Mets were an all American team.

only 1 player was not.

SS Santana was from the Dominican
Poot
Speaking of respect… the Mets guys sure seemed to have a lot of respect for how good of a team Houston had.

I still need to watch the 4th, but it's been great so far.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
DO they cover the thing about Gilley's where the Mets picked a fight with the off-duty cops?

Raise your hand if you had a HPD 4, New York Mets 0 shirt back in 1986.

Mike Scott remains the only player in a team sport to ever win the MVP of a playoff series for the losing team.

MAROON
AG
yes but it wasn't Gilley's it was Cooter Browns.

And the Mets players loved it - they considered themselves bad boys and had no issue with getting thrown in jail
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
R-Dog
AG
MAROON said:

I still know exactly where I was watching game 6 of the NLCS.

I was 12 and my dad got me out of school to go.

I was in the left field mezzanine. About 30 feet into fair territory where Hatcher's HR hit the pole. We had stayed for that but left when the Mets scored 3 in the 16th. Got home just in time to see Bass strike out on TV.

After also being the crying kid in attendance when we blew the '80 LCS, I was convinced we'd never make it to the World Series after that.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
MAROON said:

yes but it wasn't Gilley's it was Cooter Browns.

And the Mets players loved it - they considered themselves bad boys and had no issue with getting thrown in jail
Sounds like some serious revisionist history by the players then.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/20/sports/4-mets-arrested-in-fight.html

Four Met players were arrested today after an early morning altercation with two Houston policemen at a local bar, but the attorney hired by the players said they felt they were ''unduly assaulted.'' The attorney said one, Tim Teufel, contended he was ''severely beaten'' in the incident.

Teufel was ''badly shaken,'' according to Jay Horwitz, a team official, although he displayed only a large red welt on his upper right arm. The Mets also said that Darling had been pushed against a glass door at the entrance to the bar, shattering it.

''However, the four players involved in the incident would it like made public that they feel they were unduly assaulted by police personnel on the scene and that one of the players, Tim Teufel, was in fact severely beaten by the police.''

Next game was a candidate for one of the greatest regular-season games in Astro history, beat them 9-8 in 15 innings.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU198607200.shtml
Mathguy64
AG
To this day I go to sleep saying "**** Fred Brocklander".

Ok. Not really. But **** Fred Brocklander. I believe to this day that his blown call cost Houston the NLCS and a likely WS. Mike Scott was that unhittable that year.
DrZ
AG
Chuck Howley was Super Bowl MVP in a losing effort to Miami in Super Bowl 5.
Yes it is football but you did say "team sport"
Oyster DuPree
AG
Fred Cocklander
dixichkn
AG
There wasn't one second of that episode where they discussing Mike Scott that they didn't absolutely beat the "scuff scuff scuff" narrative to death.

I still despise that Mets team. Bunch of cokeheads and jackasses. That '86 NLCS remains my lowest MLB memory. I was gut shot when Kevin Bass struck out.
OPAG
AG
And there was not one strike thown, all Kevin had to do was just sit there and he would of had a 4 pitch walk.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.