Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!!

3,130 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by alvtimes
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's celebrate!! Till 2035...

redline248
AG
How is this still going on?
aggieactor01
AG
redline248 said:

I had to know why myself. Looks like per the googles it's because he deferred his buyout. Pretty crazy.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/july-1-is-bobby-bonilla-day-why-the-mets-are-still-on-the-hook-for-1-19-million-until-hes-72-years-old/

wbt5845
AG
aggieactor01 said:

redline248 said:

I had to know why myself. Looks like per the googles it's because he deferred his buyout. Pretty crazy.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/july-1-is-bobby-bonilla-day-why-the-mets-are-still-on-the-hook-for-1-19-million-until-hes-72-years-old/

Carlo4
AG
Quote:

Rather than accept the $5.9 million up front, Bonilla agreed to defer the money in exchange for 8 percent interest.

Quote:

Bonilla will bank an extra $23.9 million through interest by waiting a decade for his first payment.
Mathguy64
AG
As crazy as it sounded at the time, its generally accepted as a good move for both parties.
redline248
AG
That might be the most shrewd business move by an athlete I've ever heard about.

Genius
AgDoc03
AG
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27078321/happy-bobby-bonilla-day-why-mets-pay-119m-every-july-1

According to this also had something to do with a Bernie Madoff account that didn't pay out well for Mets.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
investorAg83
AG
AgDoc03 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27078321/happy-bobby-bonilla-day-why-mets-pay-119m-every-july-1

According to this also had something to do with a Bernie Madoff account that didn't pay out well for Mets.

Yep. They felt they had plenty of money to do it and then poof.
gtaggie_08
AG
I read that he's also had a cool half mil from another team for a few years that is set to end in the next couple of years
amercer
AG
mathguy86 said:

As crazy as it sounded at the time, its generally accepted as a good move for both parties.

I'll trust that your names checks out and all, but.....

The crazy part is that they agreed to let it go 11 years at 8%. before making the first payment. If they had started paying immediately over a 10 year period they probably would have been out an extra 5 mil instead of an extra 20 mil. I know 2035 dollars won't be worth nearly what 2001 dollars were but still.

Also the fact that their time value of money calculations were all based on the opportunity cost of buying into a Ponzi scheme makes it more fun.
Mathguy64
AG
It's more complicated than the straight future value of money. The Mets desperately needed to get rid of him and this was a way for them to free up cash flow for a deferred period. That deferred money let them sign other players and get Bonilla out of town.

Nowadays everyone does deferred money. NFL superstars are constantly redoing contracts and deferring money. Of course it's conpounded and made more complicated by the Mes and the owners thinking they would get an even greater return from Madoff.
Seven Costanza
AG
https://www.businessinsider.com/chart-contract-new-york-mets-bobby-bonilla-2013-7

Quote:

If Bonilla had accepted the $5.9 million in 2000 and invested the entire amount at 8% interest, the original investment would have grown to $104.1 million by 2035* (blue line in chart below). If instead, Bonilla takes his annual payment and invests that with an 8% annual return, he would have $95.2 million by 2035 (orange line in chart below).

But more importantly to the Mets, if they invested the $5.9 million at 8% interest in 2000. That money would have grown to more than $14 million before they had to make a single payment. And that money would continue to draw interest even while they are making payments.

By 2035, the Mets would still have $8.9 million left over (red line in chart below).

In other words, if invested at a standard rate, the Mets would have actually profited from Bonilla's generosity and the contract wasn't so dumb after all.

amercer
AG
I wish I could count on 8% a year....

From 1999 to 2017 the S&P 500 did 3.4% a year (2001/2008 were not good years)

It's an interesting argument though. Like taking the lump sum or the annual payment from the lottery. Math says take the money up front. Psychology says take the payments.
Buck Compton
AG
8% is hardly a standard return. That's a risky return in the market, and they gave it to him basically risk-free. Bobby is getting 8% risk-free because the Mets are essentially backed by the entire MLB.

Comparing that to open market returns is an analysis based on faulty assumptions.
investorAg83
AG
amercer said:

I wish I could count on 8% a year....

From 1999 to 2017 the S&P 500 did 3.4% a year (2001/2008 were not good years)

It's an interesting argument though. Like taking the lump sum or the annual payment from the lottery. Math says take the money up front. Psychology says take the payments.

That return is if you don't count dividend reinvestment. Actual return is closer to 6% depending on the months you're choosing to start and end with. Granted it's still less than 8 percent but you're also talking about 2 massive bear markets in that period. They weren't your average 'not good years'.
Seven Costanza
AG
I agree that 8% is too optimistic, but 6-7% is generally accepted as the long-term expectation for the market overall. I like that the article looks at the contract from a different perspective than we're used to.
alvtimes
Chris Davis has a long deferrment also....Free agent in 2023 then his deferred money starts and goes until 2037...... he didnt wait 10 yrs to take his first payment like Bonilla but still a great contract.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.