High School Bat - Need Suggestions

1,587 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mike_ags_fan12
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 15 year old that is starting high school next year. I am trying to find a good bat for him, but not something costing a fortune. He is 5' 11" and weighs 140. All the charts I found say he should be using a 33" bat. However, all of his friends currently have 32".

1.) Should I go ahead and get him a 33/30 with the thinking that he should be able to get better/longer use out of it?

2.) Does anyone have suggestions on a bat model? It seems like alot of the other kids are using Marucci bats and those seem to run about $200. I would like to stay under $300.

Thanks in advance for the help!
redline248
AG
Going on my past experienced, which is likely outdated:

I would probably get the 33 and if it feels too long/heavy for him just choke up. He's gonna grow, so next year you're probably buying a 34, anyway.

Marucci is like the expensive, rich kid bat, isn't it? Easton and Louisville Slugger range in all sorts of prices. I don't think anything over $200 is necessary.
6-4-3
AG
You will have many different opinions coming at you when it comes to choosing a HS bat, however I have a few thoughts:

1. I would have zero problem with a 140 lb 15 year old swinging a 32" bat. Yes, it means you may be buying another one in a year or two but a player needs a bat he can handle. FYI Tony Gwynn used a 32" bat as a grown man in the MLB so it isn't out of realm of reason for a 15 year old to use one.
2. The transition from -5 to -3 and the BBCOR aspect to the -3 is a steep transition for many players. Adding another inch to the bat as a freshman can be difficult.
3. Most HS coaches seem to want their varsity players swinging 33" but remember there is often a huge difference in strength between a 15 year old and a 17 year old who has been in a HS strength program for a couple of years.
4. Ask his HS coach his opinion. That would be a good start.

As far as make/model, you often get what you pay for, especially in the -3 BBCOR world. For example, the Louisville Slugger Prime and some of the latest Easton BBCOR bats have a lot of pop but if you are looking for a lower cost one-piece bat alternative I've heard good things about the Solo by Louisville Slugger.
TAMU1990
AG
Look in the Louisville line - good bats
alvtimes
Im gonna be like redline.... my info maybe outdated ..... but end load vs balanced bats..... end load bats tend be harder for younger kids to control... younger kids might control a balanced bat better.
Bonfire97
AG
All, thanks for the replies. I like the suggestions about the Louisville Sluggers. I was actually looking at the lowest priced one, the Omaha. I may just end up waiting until next spring, so I can get the coaches opinion. I would hate to buy something now for this summer league thing and have to buy a new one come spring.
94chem
Quote:

All the charts I found
WTH? Whatever happened to swing it and see how it feels?

Pick up an Easton Black Magic 33/30 on ebay and roll with it. There are tons of them for under $50.
Aggie95
AG
Adidas Aero burner are very underrated bats. My 14 year old son used a 33" (he's 6-0 185). It was a shade too heavy for him, but in general, he loved it. You can get them brand new for $70 - $90, so you can get 2 bats for far less than one of the really expensive ones.
HECUBUS
AG
Our 15 year old used a 34" Combat. However, he was 6', 170 lbs and a sophomore playing 18U. I don't think the bat matters that much.
6-4-3
AG
In a BBCOR world I really like the Louisville Slugger. Omaha is perfectly fine. Solo is very similar. Prime is a Cadillac. Really good high school bats IMO. And I agree with all of those who suggest a balanced bat especially for a smaller frame.
Miles Finch
Bonfire97 said:

I have a 15 year old that is starting high school next year. I am trying to find a good bat for him, but not something costing a fortune. He is 5' 11" and weighs 140. All the charts I found say he should be using a 33" bat. However, all of his friends currently have 32".

1.) Should I go ahead and get him a 33/30 with the thinking that he should be able to get better/longer use out of it?

2.) Does anyone have suggestions on a bat model? It seems like alot of the other kids are using Marucci bats and those seem to run about $200. I would like to stay under $300.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I would suggest the 33". My son got his first 33" at 15 and he wasn't quite as big as your son at that age. As mentioned above, I would go with a balanced bat since he is making that leap to a bigger bat. My son'r preferred one-piece allow, balanced bat is a Rawlings Velo. It will run you between $200-300 brand new or you can scour the interwebs and get a used one cheaper.
mike_ags_fan12
Wooden bat. Maple

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.