A sign of where baseball is... Marcus Stroman.

2,263 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, Marcus Stroman is pushing for a long-term deal...

Marcus Stroman wants new deal from Blue Jays, says, 'I've been offered nothing'

Article says he is frustrated at the situation. I was wondering if he was going to be someone available at the trade deadline.

Stroman is not a FA until after the 2020 season. The Jays have 2 more years of control. He will be 28 in May and will therefore be 30 in May of his final year of team control. He has had 1 good year ('17), and IMO, doesn't warrant a long-term deal.
'14 (23): 20 GS, 3.65 ERA, 1.171 WHIP, 130.2 IP, 111 SO
'15 (24): 4 GS, 1.67 ERA, 0.963 WHIP, 27.0 IP, 18 SO
'16 (25): 32 GS, 4.37 ERA, 1.289 WHIP, 204.0 IP, 166 SO
'17 (26): 33 GS, 3.09 ERA, 1.308 WHIP, 201.0 IP, 164 SO
'18 (27): 19 GS, 5.54 ERA, 1.476 WHIP, 102.1 IP, 77 SO

After his 2018, it is hard to think he is the central SP of a rotation... but he could be.

From the article, I would read this offensively as someone from Toronto... don't the positive he thinks it is:
Quote:

"There's no one that embodies the city of Toronto more than me. And you're not going to find guys who want to come in and embody the city of Toronto because it's just not natural."

On the one hand, is praises the chemistry of the two, and then, IMO, offends Toronto by saying, people don't like Toronto and that they are just not naturally a good fit for people.

The point he is trying to make is how unique they are together, but he does it by saying it is THEM that are the problem.

I also think he is likely concerned by the nature of FA and lack of signing aging players. He probably has additional concern about the CBA timing.

Thoughts?
astros4545
AG
I guarantee Toronto would give him a 5yr $50M deal right now

He just wants more than he is worth
W
AG
the WHIP is seriously trending in the wrong direction.

if I were the Blue Jay front office...I wouldn't offer anything. He's gotta show me something in 2019. WHIP-wise and ERA-wise
mhayden
The CBA timing is the driving force behind most of the "why hasn't he been signed to a contract/extension" yet.
Bunk Moreland
Wainwright commented this week that he wouldn't be surprised if people started walking out mid-season and is 100% sure a strike will happen.

Then produced a long twitter thread about his thoughts. It took a long time from the other end of the pendulum (ARod's Rangers deal) but I think we're finally getting close. There will be some things to work out with the CBA and then it'll start it's long swing back toward their favor over the years once that happens.
Wabs
AG
astros4545 said:

I guarantee Toronto would give him a 5yr $50M deal right now

He just wants more than he is worth
Yes, just like every other FA that is *****ing right now. The market pays what the market pays.
Seven Costanza
AG
What ideas are floating around as potential changes to the CBA? Perhaps reducing the number of arbitration years to get these guys to free agency faster, combined with maximum free agent contract lengths of 4 years? I'm neither for or against any changes - just curious if there has been any talk about it.
W
AG
I think shortening the path to free agency is just about a given at this point.

i.e. it's going to be shortened by 1 or 2 years...or a strike is definitely coming
ORAggieFan
I'm sure the players want a minimum payroll as well.
Basketball and Chain
AG
ORAggieFan said:

If they push for a salary floor, it's going to come with a salary cap, and they definitely don't want that.
mhayden
Basketball and Chain said:

ORAggieFan said:

If they push for a salary floor, it's going to come with a salary cap, and they definitely don't want that.

I wouldn't be so sure. I expect to see some form of salary floor, even if it's a token amount. A salary cap will not happen until baseball viewership tanks to a level that can only be revived by increasing league-wide competitiveness and we're nowhere close to that. In a decade I see in-game attendance dropping significantly (due to a number of factors - competing entertainment, broadcast quality, virtual reality), but with the latter two MLB will still be in a position to capture eyeballs/$$$.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.