Kansas City - Kauffman Stadium

1,741 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by E
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am planning a trip with my dad to go see the Astro's play next weekend and am looking for suggestions on where to stay and what to see in the short time we are there. I've never been to KC and he hasnt been in forever. Is downtown any good? How's the BBQ? Anything cool about Kauffman we need to see?

I also have gotten the golf bug pretty bad and want to play at least one round while there after the flight friday or early saturday.

Tentative plans:

Friday: Fly-in early and go to night game
Saturday: go to 1pm game
Sunday: Fly back early morning
The Lost
I'd stay in Crossroads/downtown (plaza area is nice too). There isn't much out by the stadium.

Q39/Jackstack/Oklahmoa Joes are the best bbq and in those areas. If you do ok joes call in rather than wait in line.

Boulevard Brewery is great. Brewery Emperial was great too. (border and torn label are good for a tour if you want to swing by a bunch). Green lady lounge is a great jazz bar if you wanted something to do saturday night. The liberty memorial ww1 museum is also really good.

golf:
if coming from the airport i'd probably do tiffany greens or shoal creek
saturday morning id do stone canyon.
there could be some nicer ones if you wanted to pay more, but those were one's we played a ton when i still lived there.

Kaufman is cool, but nothing really worth getting there early since it's just the two of you. Tons of people will get there early and tailgate for the saturday game. When they were good it'll look like a football game tailgate wise on those saturdays. The fountains are its coolest feature but you can see those from your seats obviously. Overall i think it is a better experience than some of the newer stadiums like the one in ATL that have 0 character and just feel corporate. Just stinks its not closer to the actual city.
Diggity
AG
I've heard the Negro League/Jazz Museums are cool. You could go to Arthur Bryant's before/after that.

Dallasag02
AG
I've always wanted to do the Negro Leagues museum.
Kashchei
AG
I've been to Kauffmann twice (one being game 1 of 2015 NLDS). Nice stadium.

Definitely go to the WWI Memorial/Museum. You won't regret it.
BCSWguru
I will be there on the 19th. Great suggestions here.
awall11
AG
Joe's was good but I'm not sure it was worth the wait. Q39 was the best brisket I've ever had. Their burnt ends were phenomenal.

I enjoyed the WW1 Museum. It's very well done.

The stadium is kinda interesting. The fountains are cool and the inside is fairly nice for an older stadium. But the spot they chose and the way they angled it leaves a lot to be desired for the skyline view.
E
AG
Thanks for the suggestions guys! We've added the WW1 museum and definitely two of the BBQ spots.

Any suggestions on areas to stay in? Id like to stay in an area we could walk to places and not get stabbed.
Diggity
AG
Anything in the Plaza area will be good.
Quito
AG
Will be a fun trip.

Q39 without a doubt

Friday fireworks after the game are cool

Negro Leagues Museum is cool

WW1 Museum is outstanding

Royals Hall of Fame in the outfield is fun

The Marriott Country Club Plaza is in a great location

The Lost
E said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! We've added the WW1 museum and definitely two of the BBQ spots.

Any suggestions on areas to stay in? Id like to stay in an area we could walk to places and not get stabbed.
Touristy, plaza. More local feel, downtown/crossroads. You'll be safe anywhere you go in those areas and really in the city. The paseo can get sketch east, but you wouldn't unintentionally walk anywhere unsafe in the city. Like any big city, don't be a dumbass and you'll be fine. It isn't like New Orleans with tons of people around harassing you.
Quito
AG
The Raphael is an Autogrsph Collection Marriot property...very nice.

Marriott Plaza

Marriott Downtown is next to slower and Light disctrict...fun bars/restaurants

The AC Hotel is also a Marriot property in Westport...trendy neighborhood. The AC is a Euro style boutique hotel that is newly remodeled.

All the above are in great location.
agracer
AG
Kashchei said:

I've been to Kauffmann twice (one being game 1 of 2015 NLDS). Nice stadium.

Definitely go to the WWI Memorial/Museum. You won't regret it.
This.

Royals Hall of Fame in left field is worth a visit during the game (free).

It's going to be 97 tomorrow so sunscreen and hat! Also, you're allowed to bring in 1-liter of water in a sealed (as in new water bottle) container into the stadium.

Golf Suggestions noted above are all good. Power and Light district has a good bar scene.
E
AG
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! We had a great time.

Didn't get to play golf, but we stayed at the Marriott in the Plaza, along with a ton of other Stro's fans as it turns out. Went to WW1 museum and spent over 4 hours there. Made it to Jackstack BBQ which was ok, but went to Q39 Saturday night and there was a 1.5 hr wait so we went to Charbar instead which had great BBQ and beer. When I walked into Q39, there was a long line so I went to check out the bar (which was also full), but right at the first table was sitting AJ Hinch and about 10 other guys on staff. Wish there wasn't such a long wait but I was starving.

Stadium was fantastic! Great atmosphere, fans were nice and it sure was hot. Getting to the stadium sucked as it was in middle of nowhere and Uber's were expensive but was well worth the trip!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.