New Intentional Walk Rules

2,201 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieKO
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Seven Costanza
AG
The article says that there is one intentional walk per 2.6 games, and that the move will shave approximately one minute off each time. So we're going to save one minute every 2.6 games. If my calculations are correct (average game length of 176 minutes x 2.6), this will lead to a 0.2% reduction in the average length of a game.

Awesome!
W
AG
I don't understand it.

it's the visits to the mound and the pitching changes that are slowing down the game
aggietony2010
AG
Good change. Nothing exciting ever happens during an IBB anyway.

Especially not in the bottom of the 12th with a runner at 3rd.
PacifistAg
AG
I absolutely hate this move.
KT 90
AG
W said:

I don't understand it.

it's the visits to the mound and the pitching changes that are slowing down the game
Yep. Supposedly the players union has resisted the other proposed changes. Read something this morning that the Commissioner can unilaterally impose some changes for 2018 if he wants to.

rwhitlock3
AG
I don't think this will save any significant amount of time. Another idea I heard thrown around on MLB network was to make mound visits more interesting for fans by having a microphone for manager or players. Don't see how the players would go for that in any way, but I am all for speeding up the games in some way. Maybe limit the number of pickoffs that can be thrown for a single runner...? I hate seeing 7 or 8 pickoffs for a guy and he doesn't even have to dive back to the bag. I don't think it would stick, but would present another interesting area of strategy.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd think looking at how to cut down times on pitching changes would be the most beneficial. They just came out of the bullpen from warming up. What about then jogging in requires enough pitches for a commercial.
astros4545
AG
People don't complain about long playoff games

People get tired of long games where a team is down by a considerable amount

They need to address pace of play in these blowout games, a 5 run lead after 5 innings for instance
The Lost
astros4545 said:

People don't complain about long playoff games

People get tired of long games where a team is down by a considerable amount

They need to address pace of play in these blowout games, a 5 run lead after 5 innings for instance
Uh thats when the casual guy turns the channel, mlb doesn't care about that... and tons of people complain about playoff games, extremely on the east coast. (I hate the length, extremely when my team isn't playing). Get the batter in the box quicker and maybe require a pitcher to face x amount of batters or change the mound visit rules.

Say Chowdah
AG
W said:

I don't understand it.

Reduce the amount of "warm ups" when a reliever comes in. The reliever should be warm from the bullpen. The catcher should know the signs by walking up to the mound and reviewing them.

No more pitching coach visits. If the catcher can't determine whether the pitcher is gassed or not, the pitching coach isn't going to help. When pitchers went 130 pitches on a regular start it might have been somewhat necessary, but with pitch counts so heavily monitored, its purpose is diminished.
astros4545
AG
How bout widen the plate by one inch?

That would make the strike zone about 6% bigger and escalate quicker play without effecting game flow
DannyDuberstein
AG
1) Cut 8 warmup pitches down to 3-5.

2) Limit a manager/coach to 2 mound visits for the entire game

3) allow them to make pitching changes by calling TO and sognaling from the top step of the dugout to avoid those being counted as a visit.

4) limit player-initiated mound visits to 2-3 per game.

All of the relief specialization, frequent changes, and stall tactics to help buy the next guy more time to get warm really bog things down. i'd attack that as much as I could, and most of those changes don't really change how the game is the played (unlike modifying the Kzone, etc)
Know Your Enemy
AG
I do not like this rule change.
Seanzy2012
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

1) Cut 8 warmup pitches down to 3-5.

2) Limit a manager/coach to 2 mound visits for the entire game

3) allow them to make pitching changes by calling TO and sognaling from the top step of the dugout to avoid those being counted as a visit.

4) limit player-initiated mound visits to 2-3 per game.

All of the relief specialization, frequent changes, and stall tactics to help buy the next guy more time to get warm really bog things down. i'd attack that as much as I could, and most of those changes don't really change how the game is the played (unlike modifying the Kzone, etc)
Not sure about the pros, but don't you have to pull a pitcher on the second visit in college? Maybe I'm thinking high school.

I remember we had courtesy runners for the catchers so they could go put their gear back on after walks or hits.
Seanzy2012
AG
Want to see the game speed up?

Put the umpires on a timer and deduct the time over the specified mound visits from their paycheck at the end of the game. Better believe you start to see some movement.

The worst is the batter who adjusts his gloves after every single pitch.
DannyDuberstein
AG
You have to pull them in the 2nd visit of an inning in MLB, but regardless of the rule, the trip # resets with every new pitcher. I want to limit it to 2 visits for the entire game regardless of pitcher.

Seems like half of these visits are just a stall tactic to buy time for a reliever to finish warming up in the pen. Limit them to 2 visits in an entire game so they can still coach up a pitcher or discuss strategy (but have to be judicious in choosing when they do this). Other than that, make pitch changes from the top step of the dugout.
AustinCountyAg
rwhitlock3 said:

I don't think this will save any significant amount of time. Another idea I heard thrown around on MLB network was to make mound visits more interesting for fans by having a microphone for manager or players. Don't see how the players would go for that in any way, but I am all for speeding up the games in some way. Maybe limit the number of pickoffs that can be thrown for a single runner...? I hate seeing 7 or 8 pickoffs for a guy and he doesn't even have to dive back to the bag. I don't think it would stick, but would present another interesting area of strategy.

So let's say limit number of pickoffs to three. Pitcher throws over three times, so then the runner easily walks to second base for a steal knowing that the pitcher can't attempt a fourth pick off attempt..... sounds like a terrible idea of a rule change
AggieKO
AG
Longer the game the better
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.