Do and Do Not Do as a Minor League owner

4,904 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Agnzona
LeonardSkinner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you find yourself in the position of becoming the owner of a minor league baseball team, take a few pointers to heart.
Do:
1. When you purchase a team, do take some time to allow people to transition. Allow the previous ownership and administration to serve out their time and make the official switch in the offseason.
2. Honor the previous long time owners.
3. Promise more of the same, but a better experience. And start delivering.

Do not:
Turn around on November 2nd, and say that you've been planning to change the team colors and name (that's only changed once in 50+ years). And then announce the name to be a goofy salute to the local area that cannot be taken seriously under any circumstances.

http://m.wokv.com/news/news/local/report-jacksonville-suns-changing-jacksonville-jum/ns2tM/

Tldr, AA club for the Marlins- the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp.
DallasAg 94
aggie kid said:

If you find yourself in the position of becoming the owner of a minor league baseball team, take a few pointers to heart.
Do:
1. When you purchase a team, do take some time to allow people to transition. Allow the previous ownership and administration to serve out their time and make the official switch in the offseason.
2. Honor the previous long time owners.
3. Promise more of the same, but a better experience. And start delivering.

Do not:
Turn around on November 2nd, and say that you've been planning to change the team colors and name (that's only changed once in 50+ years). And then announce the name to be a goofy salute to the local area that cannot be taken seriously under any circumstances.

http://m.wokv.com/news/news/local/report-jacksonville-suns-changing-jacksonville-jum/ns2tM/

Tldr, AA club for the Marlins- the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp.
Who is that owner?!

From the article...
Quote:

Ownership of the Suns changed at the end of the 2015 season when the Bragan family - which owned the franchise since 1984 - sold it to Ken Babby of Fast Forward Sports Group, also the owners of the Akron RubberDucks. That franchise was known as the Aeros until the RubberDucks name was born in 2014.

Seriously?! Jumbo Shrimp and Rubber Ducks?! Did he let his kids\grandkids name them?!

The article indicated the Jacksonville team was bought after 2015, so if the name changes, it was at least 1 year after being bought.
BMX Bandit
I like the caps.
LeonardSkinner
He bought the team, and was just about anonymous since then. Nothing changed, we kept on trucking.

This was out of nowhere. The petitions started as soon as the leak occurred, before the official announcement took place.

chico
AG
what's that shrimp doing to poor Florida in the top/right picture?
LeonardSkinner
chico said:

I think he's saying, "Shhh... Don't try to fight it, just let it happen."

Pretty much exactly what the owner is saying.
hph6203
AG
Giving it an aggressive $5 rub down.
FtBendTxAg
AG
By the looks of that hideous logo/colors in the link, it looks like a welcomed change.
Know Your Enemy
AG
chico said:

Violating the state of Florida, apparently.
heddleston
AG
did they seriously just take Trogdor the Burninator and color it pink?

Basketball and Chain
AG
I like shrimp
astros4545
AG
I like it
EMY92
AG
I can understand the name/logo change. The old logo is/was boring and ugly. Minor league baseball is very much about grabbing attention. Unless you are an old, nationally known minor league team, the owners are likely thinking of a new name to grab attention and headlines.
LSU Baseball Fan
You think this is bad, the Marlins Triple-A affiliate, my New Orleans Zephyrs, officially became the New Orleans Baby Cakes today. The fan reaction is not good. Just imagine being one step from playing in the big leagues, and having to play for a team called the ****ing Baby Cakes. I can't stop laughing thinking about the players' reactions.

I've lived in Louisiana all my life, and never have I heard of a king cake being called a baby cake. There was no reason to change the name. This was a giant FU to the fans of the team. At least the King Cakes would sound more masculine.
MAROON
AG

uniforms look pretty cool. Especially like the NOLA home jersey.

Mardi Gras beads on the away jersey is a nice touch

home jersey

every gang banger in new orleans will buy one of these hats

texasaggie2015
AG
Hartford Yard Goats FTW
DannyDuberstein
AG

Glad to see Eddie Harris is still pitching

BMX Bandit
The jumbo shrimp name change has been a fantastic success
JJxvi
AG
WE ARE THE JUMBO SHRIMP, HERE TO PLAY A GAME!
Agnzona
I do worry about confusion with Smallpox Large.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.