Operation Flagrant Foul - Tim Donaghy Netflix Doc

2,074 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Harry Dunne
GigEmMortis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished watching this. Crazy to watch just how deep the scandal went and the terms/winnings he would get for each game.

Also it was extremely interesting how Donaghy's lawyer claims that David Stern may have been the one who leaked the story to the press so that it would put all the attention on Donaghy and protect the NBA from deeper issues that they were trying to protect. Said something like 52 of the 60 active referees were engaged in some level of gambling at the time and Stern was trying to create a scapegoat to deflect attention. Yikes.
GigEmMortis
AG
The Scott Foster connection was highly interesting as well
Bulldog73
AG
Listen to WhistleBlower podcast. Scott Foster's history with CP and the Rockets is certainly mentioned and noteworthy. Donaghy is certainly very flawed, but I can't be convinced he wasn't scapegoated.
Kellso
Bulldog73 said:

Listen to WhistleBlower podcast. Scott Foster's history with CP and the Rockets is certainly mentioned and noteworthy. Donaghy is certainly very flawed, but I can't be convinced he wasn't scapegoated.
Donaghy is also a convicted felon. I think he was lying about 90% of the time. I didn't believe much of anything he had to say.
Paul Dirac
Gig 'Em!
Yellerjacket
Bulldog73 said:

I've watched enough NBA to know Donaghy was FAR from the only crooked ref.
Harry Dunne
Kellso said:

Bulldog73 said:

Donaghy is also a convicted felon. I think he was lying about 90% of the time. I didn't believe much of anything he had to say.
Everyone clutches their pearls at "convicted felons", but the only difference between them and their non-convicted peers (both here and in most shady industries) is that one got caught and the other didn't. I don't disagree about Donaghy, but the others are equally unreliable witnesses. His lowlife buddies are the most credible people in the whole documentary because they have no qualms about exactly who and what they are.

Sports are dirty. The more we assume that it's all crooked and fixed and the less we build these guys up to be heroes, the better off we are.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.