Gregg Popovich sets NBA coaching wins record

1,112 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MGS
pv
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Proud veteran, Texan and among best coaches in American sports history. Gig Em coach Pop

[We have cleaned up this thread and posters that want to politicize it can start their own thread on the politics forum. -Staff]
MapGuy
Can this thread get removed too by staff. Not the best, maybe top five or ten but his wokeness was over the top
MapGuy
Cappo
AG
GOAT
96AgGrad
AG
He rode Tim Duncan's coattails his entire career, and he's full of himself.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Mavs fan here, nothing but respect for Pop. GOAT coach IMO
Average Joe
AG
96AgGrad said:

So, we discount all coaches that had good players?
LastHamlet
AG
GO SPURS GO!
Moon Shadow
The Spurs (& Pop) had extreme luck (the stars coalesced) to win the Tim Duncan lottery.
Beef Cheek
AG
Same with the Bulls and Jordan or any other team and superstar.
500,000ags
AG
Pop is a GOAT. You guys claiming his greatness was due to Duncan, are moronic, or just sour on his politics. Had Kawhi been as loyal as Duncan, Spurs are still competing at a high level. It's not easy to build a champion in a small market, without a strange loyalty from your superstars. Look at Duncan in SA, Dirk in Dallas, or OKC's inability to keep Durant.
96AgGrad
AG
500,000ags said:

Pop is a GOAT. You guys claiming his greatness was due to Duncan, are moronic, or just sour on his politics. Had Kawhi been as loyal as Duncan, Spurs are still competing at a high level. It's not easy to build a champion in a small market, without a strange loyalty from your superstars. Look at Duncan in SA, Dirk in Dallas, or OKC's inability to keep Durant.
So you're saying he's a good coach only if he gets strangely loyal superstars. Got it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great coaches get loyalty BECAUSE they're great.
96AgGrad
AG
Kawhi agrees
Average Joe
AG
96AgGrad said:

500,000ags said:

So you're saying he's a good coach only if he gets strangely loyal superstars. Got it.

Please name an NBA coach that won championships without a star player.
96AgGrad
AG
Average Joe said:

96AgGrad said:

500,000ags said:

Please name an NBA coach that won championships without a star player.
That's your strawman, not mine. I think he is a solid coach with a GOAT GM. RC Buford is the hero, not Poppovich. And Tim Duncan wasn't just "a" star player. He was one of the greatest at his position, ever, AND he was willing to give up half his salary so the Spurs could build around him. Pop won the jackpot, and has repeatedly said so.
500,000ags
AG
I don't think you got it. Haha
jteagle
AG
96AgGrad said:

So, who would you rather have as your NBA coach? You keep saying why he's not the best, tell me who you would have ahead of him?
jteagle
AG
MapGuy said:

Can this thread get removed too by staff. Not the best, maybe top five or ten but his wokeness was over the top
Which 9 coaches would you put ahead of him? For that matter which 4 coaches would you put ahead of him?
500,000ags
AG
If Duncan blasted his political opinions out, I'm sure you'd get confused real fast about who should get credit for the Spurs era.
Mike Elko
AG
Lotta jealousy on this thread. Dallas and Houston fans, I presume? Pobrecitos.
jteagle
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Lotta jealousy on this thread. Dallas and Houston fans, I presume? Pobrecitos.
That and snowflakes!
The Shank Ag
jteagle said:

MapGuy said:

Which 9 coaches would you put ahead of him? For that matter which 4 coaches would you put ahead of him?
Didn't say it and definitely can't think of 9 better.

I would rank it:

1. Phil
2. Red Auerbach
3. Pat Riley
4-7, Teir that is a combo of Pop, Larry Brown, Rudy T, and Jerry Sloan
8-10: Next tier down with a combo of Chuck Daly, Doc Rivers, and Billy Cunningham
MookieBlaylock
AG
Doc Rivers in the top 10

Hahahahh
FTAG 2000
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Doc Rivers in the top 10

Hahahahh

Come on! Let's go! Come on!
Obi Wan Ginobili
The Shank Ag said:

jteagle said:

MapGuy said:

Didn't say it and definitely can't think of 9 better.

I would rank it:

1. Phil
2. Red Auerbach
3. Pat Riley
4-7, Teir that is a combo of Pop, Larry Brown, Rudy T, and Jerry Sloan
8-10: Next tier down with a combo of Chuck Daly, Doc Rivers, and Billy Cunningham

Popovich has 5 rings, all three of the guys in his category have combined for 3, two of which were during Jordan's baseball sabbatical. You grouping them together is asinine and you know it.
MGS
He was just trolling, the Doc Rivers thing was a dead giveaway.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.