Raptors discuss boycotting Game 1 vs. Celtics

3,323 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Iowaggie
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't virtue signal and feed the media a story and just talk about it. Do it. Boycott the game and go down 0-1. I've gotten bored by the threat from people like the NBA players with something to lose and then decide not to.

Maybe they will put a new slogan on the back of their jersey instead of the boycott. Maybe they will even sell that new jersey.
Quote:

The Toronto Raptors held a team meeting before Tuesday's practice to discuss how they could respond to the shooting of Jacob Blake by police in Wisconsin -- including potentially not playing against the Boston Celtics in Game 1 of a second-round playoff series Thursday.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29739717/raptors-discussed-boycotting-game-1-vs-celtics-wake-police-shooting-wisconsin
Slamn Sharpe
I put nothing past our stupid society
mazag08
AG
That'll show em!
EastSideAg2002
What if they both forfeit! Someone better get to the refs first!
Mike Elko
AG
CoppellAg93
AG
It looks like Milwaukee is refusing to come out for their game.
Slamn Sharpe
CoppellAg93 said:

It looks like Milwaukee is refusing to come out for their game.

Does this mean its an automatic loss? Please tell me it is
Scientific
AG
As much as I support the players. This should be an automatic loss. What's probably going to happen is, both teams will call it a boycott.
TXAggie2011
AG
Gap said:

Don't virtue signal and feed the media a story and just talk about it. Do it. Boycott the game and go down 0-1. I've gotten bored by the threat from people like the NBA players with something to lose and then decide not to.

Maybe they will put a new slogan on the back of their jersey instead of the boycott. Maybe they will even sell that new jersey.
Quote:

The Toronto Raptors held a team meeting before Tuesday's practice to discuss how they could respond to the shooting of Jacob Blake by police in Wisconsin -- including potentially not playing against the Boston Celtics in Game 1 of a second-round playoff series Thursday.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29739717/raptors-discussed-boycotting-game-1-vs-celtics-wake-police-shooting-wisconsin
Welp. I guess the question now is are you gonna come back and give the Bucks and whoever else doesn't go out on the court any credit?
TXAggie2011
AG
Scientific said:

As much as I support the players. This should be an automatic loss. What's probably going to happen is, both teams will call it a boycott.
If they make the Bucks forfeit, I don't think we'll just see the Magic say they're retroactively boycotting, I think you'll see them and a bunch (all?) of the teams actually boycotting moving forward.
BohunkAg
AG
Hilarious
Mike Elko
AG
They'll simply reschedule and play in a couple days. So, essentially, this "statement" does absolutely nothing. Such heroes.
TXAggie2011
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

They'll simply reschedule and play in a couple days. So, essentially, this "statement" does absolutely nothing. Such heroes.
They don't need a forfeit for this to mean something, but it sounds like they just indeed might forfeiting this game.
CoppellAg93
AG
CNN now saying the remaining games tonight are postponed.
AggieOO
AustinAg2012 said:

whether you agree with the stance or not, the fact that it is in the news and you are talking about it means their "statement" is doing something.
Gap
AG
Cancel the rest of the playoffs. Free all NBA players to go work in their communities 60 hours a week instead of just tweeting about it.
BohunkAg
AG
A bold statement when you are in a bubble with no fans in attendance to hold you accountable. That's the only reason they are able to even attempt to get away with this.
AAggie
When they decided to post BLM equality messages on their jersey and everywhere, I didn't care. But I won't support the NBA if they won't even play the game. What exactly does an NBA boycott accomplish? Forcing my hand? I can live without it. Take the L, Milwaukee.
PatAg
AG
Someone being killed by the police doesn't automatically mean they did nothing wrong, or deserve to be memoralized like this. Now they wont be able to back down, or risk looking silly.
SA-AG72
AG
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Slamn Sharpe
Its a good thing they're not boycotting over white people being killed by police. Statistically its worse for white people. We may never see a game if things were equal
Sgt. Schultz
AG
Gap said:

Cancel the rest of the playoffs. Free all NBA players to go work in their communities 60 hours a week instead of just tweeting about it.
Seven Costanza
AG
I don't understand this in terms of a "boycott". If the league was doing something that the players didn't like, boycotting would make sense as a way to force the league's hand. Who are they boycotting? Not playing as "a statement", however misguided that may or may not be, would at least make sense.
TXAggie2011
AG
Gap said:

So, you challenge them to do it. They do it. You throw a fit.
Iowaggie
AG
I wonder how David Stern would handle this
Gap
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Gap said:

So, you challenge them to do it. They do it. You throw a fit.
I'm not sure that is a fit, but if you are used to everything being about emotion, I'll guess I have no choice but to allow it.

As usual, no one sacrificed anything or did anything meaningful.

All games were postponed. No team forfeited out of principle. No one took an L out of conviction. Games were rescheduled.

No NBA players did any hard work in their communities. Tonight, they sit in the bubble protected from society eating catered meals and ready to get back on the court tomorrow or Friday to earn their millions. Maybe Black Lives Matter can be shaded extra bold tomorrow or we can add another approved slogan to the back of the jersey. That will make a difference!

How is the poor minority kid in the inner city helped by any of this? The NBA players haven't even been a voice to get them back into school.

It is another meaningless and purposeless act. At some point, you would think a player would accidentally step into something that is real and impactful.
TXAggie2011
AG
Plenty of NBA players do plenty of work in their communities, and they funnel plenty of money towards their communities, too. The young black man is helped by this by continuing to keep the issue on the front pages and continuing to keep the issue in the nation's mind in the age of the 24 hour news cycle.

But if it helps you feel less perplexed, you're not the intended audience. They know some folks will tell them "stop talking, actually boycott and take a forfeit", and they know when they try to do it, those same folks will still blast them for doing "another meaningless and purposefulness act."
Gap
AG
Hooray "funneling money" like that is an end.

Funneling money to what purpose? Even you thought it was not necessary to include such triviality in your response. Where is the massive impact that we should be seeing? Is there a primary purpose to any of this other than increasing tribalism?

Why doesn't LeBron demand his shoes be made in Akron instead of by forced labor in communist China. Seems like that would be a simple way to improve lots of black lives right where he is from.
Buford T. Justice
AG
How is the young black man helped by this? How do they benefit?
TXAggie2011
AG
You can read all about the purposes of the money LeBron James raises at https://www.lebronjamesfamilyfoundation.org/
Bones08
AG
Good watch:

Gap
AG
Striking today has a 0.0% impact on the issue the players are discussing as the owners don't run the police or judicial system in Kenosha or Wisconsin. The mayor of Kenosha is a democrat and the governor of Wisconsin is a democrat.

Are the players going to run their own candidates to run Kenosha and Wisconsin? But aren't these elected people already their allies in politics?

Is the season over so that they can go home and get to work on these issues?

Still searching for the purpose of the strike or the pain the players are going to endure as part of their plan to solve this issue.
Slamn Sharpe
The dude told police he had a knife. The dude was running to his car.

Way to overreact BLM
TheAngelFlight
This thread belongs next to the definition of "moving the goalposts."

"Don't just talk, actually 'boycott'." --> "'Boycotts' are worthless."
Iowaggie
AG
There's a few videos out on how similar Racist guy and Woke guy think, and one is posted below if you haven't seen it, but I guess now that the NBA players have stopped playing and the #1 women's player isn't playing (Naomi Osaka) due to the boycott, I suppose it brings up another thing the most racist and most woke share in belief....(I can't even write it because I feel it is too racist)

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.