Luka Doncic just had an 'MJ worthy' moment

7,238 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Must win playoff game vs a team favored in the series. Playing on a sprained ankle....clearly limping during timeouts. The second best player on his team out. The other team heavily focused on defending him, with elite wing defenders like Kawhi and George.

Puts up 43 points, 17 rebounds, 13 assists to beat the Clippers with an epic game winner.

Wow. That was about as impressive individual performance as it gets I am all in on Doncic and getting out a Mavs bandwagon fan shirt just to watch that guy play from here on out.
bangobango
AG
Unemployed
AG
Doncic is a great one. He hasn't won anything so let's stop with the MJ comparison.
Trucker 96
Yeah, the fact it's round 1, they are playing in this crazy covid bubble situation, and the fact some dismiss a bich-ass white boy euro will bring it down in the eyes of some, but what he did this afternoon was one of the absolute all-time great playoff performances. Gimped ankle. 2nd best player is a very late scratch. And he goes and drops that. Insane
PatAg
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Must win playoff game vs a team favored in the series. Playing on a sprained ankle....clearly limping during timeouts. The second best player on his team out. The other team heavily focused on defending him, with elite wing defenders like Kawhi and George.

Puts up 43 points, 17 rebounds, 13 assists to beat the Clippers with an epic game winner.

Wow. That was about as impressive individual performance as it gets I am all in on Doncic and getting out a Mavs bandwagon fan shirt just to watch that guy play from here on out.
Documentary worthy for sure
Unemployed
AG
PatAg said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Oh my God. It's game four of the first round in the playoffs. Doncic is great but get off your knees already.
PatAg
AG
RealTalk said:

PatAg said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Oh my God. It's game four of the first round in the playoffs. Doncic is great but get off your knees already.
If you aren't a Mavs fan you should probably just shut up.
Leander - Ag
AG
He is 21. 21.....
Trucker 96
Don't worry, RT. No one is replacing MJ's HOF display with Luka's stuff. But it is okay to call out a "moment" without folks getting their MJ brand tampons all sopping
The Shank Ag
" Ya see, Montrezl Harrell called me a ***** ass white boy in game 3 and i took that personally"

Insert MJ photo
Pumpkinhead
AG
RealTalk said:

Doncic is a great one. He hasn't won anything so let's stop with the MJ comparison.

To be clear, MJ is GOAT. I watched every one of his games in the 90's.

I said that game today by Luka was 'MJ Wothy', in that it checked off all the boxes in terms of the type of big game level performance against a lot of adversity that deserved 'MJ game' honors.
HartWorm93
AG
RealTalk said:

PatAg said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Enjoy the moment for what it was. One of the best playoff performances in NBA history. That can't be disputed.
Unemployed
AG
HartWorm93 said:

RealTalk said:

PatAg said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Enjoy the moment for what it was. One of the best playoff performances in NBA history. That can't be disputed.

I agree with that. My fault.
Ol Jock 99
AG
And the game winning buzzer beater. On a bum ankle. Without his best teammate. #onyourkneespeasant

Ol Jock 99
AG
Are the MJ comparisons premature? Sure. But he has a realistic chance. It should also be noted that when MJ was Luka's age, he was still in Chapel Hill.
MW03
AG
The only player to do it on a regular season game? Wilt Chamberlain.
amercer
AG
I think one of my biggest takeaways from the MJ documentary, was how many "MJ moments" he had before he won anything. Luka could end up being an all time great or another Derrick Rose.

Either way, that game tonight was a reason to love basketball.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
RealTalk said:

PatAg said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Salty Rockets fan?
The Shank Ag
From a WTF is he going to do next standpoint, Luka is Johnny post Tuscaloosa 2012
Unemployed
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

RealTalk said:

PatAg said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Salty Rockets fan?

James Harden pisses on that stat line.
AgGrad99
AG
That performance was insane. Freaking incredible

I mean...no KP, hurt ankle, down by 21 at one point, Overtime, crazy triple double capped off by a buzzer beater from wayyyy downtown. It had it all.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I'd tap the breaks on throwing Michael Jordan's name here as a comparative player/moment, but this was for sure Luka's signature game. For the reasons already stated in this thread, it was incredible. As a basketball fan, it was awesome to watch. You toss in the fact that Porzingis is out, you're up against the Clippers who are supposed to be a brick wall defensively, Montrezl's comments, the absolute hilarious side plot that is Paul George, it had everything (including overtime).

An even more hilarious personal kick I get out of this is that I have a ton of family in Sacramento and LMAO...Marvin Bagley. Luka really is the gift that keeps on giving and this is coming from a Rockets fan.
sincereag
I'm glad the Mavs have Luka and traded up to get him two yeas ago. He is a rare talent at the age of 21.
AgGrad99
AG
To be fair, He said it was an MJ worthy 'Moment'....not that he's MJ

It was one of those type of moments.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I mean, even moment-wise, it's still a first round game where the opponents All-Star number 2 player has been terrible and the Mavs still had to claw back from 20-plus points down in overtime just to even the series. Also, put Trey Burke has been a revelation.

Not trying to rain on the Luka parade, but brakes, tap, etc. "Moment" or otherwise.
AgGrad99
AG
He just did in a playoff game what no one has ever done.

And he capped it off with a game winner at the buzzer. It was incredible for a regular season game..much less a playoff game.

If you can't recognize what an amazing performance that was, I think maybe you don't want to.
gigem1223
Head Ninja In Charge said:

I mean, even moment-wise, it's still a first round game where the opponents All-Star number 2 player has been terrible and the Mavs still had to claw back from 20-plus points down in overtime just to even the series. Also, put Trey Burke has been a revelation.

Not trying to rain on the Luka parade, but brakes, tap, etc. "Moment" or otherwise.

And the Mavs #2 didn't even play. Luka is leading a group of cast offs and role players to to an even series against the Champ favorites. Now back to the Houston thread.
Trucker 96
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Okay sport
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Luka is an off-brand James Harden. Won't even be a top 5 white guy basketball player by the time he's done (1. Legend, 2. Jerry West, 3. Dirk, 4. Stockton, 5. Hondo). Bye.
Trucker 96
Okay sport
AgGrad99
AG
You're arguing something completely different than everyone else.

Focus on today. It was amazing.
Trucker 96
The houston sports fan - a fanbase that constantly acts like it has a micro-*****.
94chem
Game Blouses!
Slamn Sharpe
Hopefully texags will be around in 20 years so we can all watch you eat crow
Unemployed
AG
You Mavs fans are a sensitive bunch.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.