"Elam Ending" .... taking away to the foul fest at the end of the game

2,563 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://thecomeback.com/nba/the-elam-ending-is-the-best-thing-to-happen-to-basketball-this-century.html

Quote:

The short attention span explanation goes like this at the first under-four minute stoppage, the game clock is taken off the scoreboard. The first team to then reach the target score wins. How is the target score set? It is simply *eight* points tacked on to the score of the leading team at that point.

The article says seven points, but I believe the current rule is eight points, so I changed it. It would take years to implement a change like this, but I like the idea in principle. "The Basketball Tournament" is using it now, so it'll be able to flush out any quirks or unintended consequences.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube and articles online if you want to do further research.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Would rather watch quidditch
PatAg
AG
CoachRTM said:

https://thecomeback.com/nba/the-elam-ending-is-the-best-thing-to-happen-to-basketball-this-century.html

Quote:

The short attention span explanation goes like this at the first under-four minute stoppage, the game clock is taken off the scoreboard. The first team to then reach the target score wins. How is the target score set? It is simply *eight* points tacked on to the score of the leading team at that point.

The article says seven points, but I believe the current rule is eight points, so I changed it. It would take years to implement a change like this, but I like the idea in principle. "The Basketball Tournament" is using it now, so it'll be able to flush out any quirks or unintended consequences.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube and articles online if you want to do further research.
no thanks
Bunk Moreland
I've loved watching it during TBT.
ATM9000
AG
I don't have the stats and will fully admit foul fests can get boring at the end of games (but they also create exciting moments at times)... I just don't think the intentional foul endings happen as often as folks think they do.

I'm not willing to give up buzzer beaters in basketball and that's what the Elan Ending is sacrificing. Buzzer beaters are just too damn fun.
Bunk Moreland
I'm a baseball guy so maybe that's why I enjoy the walk offs of the elam rule so much. I love buzzer beaters as well though.
ATM9000
AG
Walkoffs are awesome too. End of the day basketball is entertainment and the Elam rule eliminates buzzer beaters from the sport for a problem that's way less material than advertised to the overall game.
BBQ4Me
AG
Not sure if it's the best solution, but I'm all for reducing the stoppages during the last 1-2 mins of the game.

Here's a study showing duration. TL; DR: last minute of game play takes 5.4mins if actual time.
https://www.inpredictable.com/2014/04/how-long-is-each-minute-of-nba-gametime.html?m=1
Beat40
ATM9000 said:

Walkoffs are awesome too. End of the day basketball is entertainment and the Elam rule eliminates buzzer beaters from the sport for a problem that's way less material than advertised to the overall game.
The question is how often does fouling at the end of games create buzzer beater scenarios?

If you had to get to 90 and one team has 89 and the other team 88, isn't any basket that goes in next essentially the same as a buzzer beater?
ATM9000
AG
Beat40 said:

ATM9000 said:

The question is how often does fouling at the end of games create buzzer beater scenarios?

If you had to get to 90 and one team has 89 and the other team 88, isn't any basket that goes in next essentially the same as a buzzer beater?

Respectfully, you are wrong on both fronts:

First is no... next bucket wins isn't the same as a buzzer beater. You've eliminated the time element to it. No more 3 seconds to find a shot... nope just run your offense through 24 seconds or whatever.

Secondly, there are times the foul strategy creates a closer game and you see buzzer beaters off of it. But that isn't the real question. The real question is in what scenario would you ever see a buzzer beater in an Elam Ending not how do fouls create them. The answer to the real question is buzzer beaters are a thing of the past. From an entertainment standpoint, I personally find sacrificing buzzer beaters for fouling to try to get a game tighter as a terrible trade-off.
Beat40
ATM9000 said:

Beat40 said:

ATM9000 said:

Respectfully, you are wrong on both fronts:

First is no... next bucket wins isn't the same as a buzzer beater. You've eliminated the time element to it. No more 3 seconds to find a shot... nope just run your offense through 24 seconds or whatever.

Secondly, there are times the foul strategy creates a closer game and you see buzzer beaters off of it. But that isn't the real question. The real question is in what scenario would you ever see a buzzer beater in an Elam Ending not how do fouls create them. The answer to the real question is buzzer beaters are a thing of the past. From an entertainment standpoint, I personally find sacrificing buzzer beaters for fouling to try to get a game tighter as a terrible trade-off.
Let me first say that I love buzzer beaters. I love them. They are the best part of March Madness. I'm just coming from it at a different angle.

That's why I said essentially the same. I get eliminating the time aspect eliminates the literal buzzer beater. My point is that it shifts and becomes a little more like a walk-off hit in baseball. In the bottom half of an inning, when you are just a hit way form winning, the tension is just as great as if you only have 3 seconds to find a shot. The tension feels different, but it is there. I bet the tension would even grow if there were 2 or 3 consecutive missed shots that could end the game. It would be very similar tension as your team is down 2 and hits a 3 to go ahead and the clock stops with 3 second left in the game.

The reason is I bring up how often does fouling at the end of games create buzzer beater scenarios is because that is one of the purposes to fouling at the end of a game. I'm going to make the game closer for a chance to win. You could even expand my question into how often does fouling at the end of a game really make the game closer? Is it 10% of the time? 20%? What if it's only 5%? This is relevant because we have to have an idea of how many games would truly be affected by a rule change.

In an Elam situation, you could easily see a "buzzer beater" scenario. Play a couple of good defensive possessions in a row and make a couple of shots and you're right there.
94chem
Might see teams actually run an offense at the end of games instead of all the cowardly iso crap that coaches run because they're scared what the media will say if johnny superstar doesn't dominate the ball for the last 2 minutes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.