2017-2018 season - so many great storylines

8,370 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CactusThomas
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it just me or is this upcoming season shaping up to be a great one with several really interesting storylines?

Several "superteams"...Warriors, Houston (?), Cleveland, Boston, and OKC joining the mix

Really intriguing rookie class...as a Mav's fan, I'm really excited to see Dennis Smith Jr

Sixers...is this the year that "The Process"...delivers on its promise?

How does the Boogie/Brow combo work? And what happens if it doesn't?

And I'm sure I'm missing some other interesting stories.

I think I might pay up for the League Pass this year...
TajMaballer
AG
I agree that this season has a lot of great potential. Some additional teams to look out for:

Bucks: Giannis had a great year last year. Add Jabari and Khris and their young core, they are a team to look out for.

Timberwolves: Jimmy Butler is pretty great and they already had a solid team. Let's see how year 2 of Thibs plays out.

Spurs: They are always in the mix, but I haven't heard as much hype for this team. They are a Kawhai injury away from maybe upsetting the Warriors.

Definitely will be a fun season!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
This has been the NBA every single season. It's why it's the best professional sport in America. This year, it's all of the above plus national anthem kneeling stuff.

Last year going into the season:

- Kevin Durant going to Golden State
- How will Russell Westbrook do solo
- Dwight Howard finally getting TF out of Houston to go home to ATL
- Duncan-less Spurs
- Kobe-less Lakers
- JR Smith doing stuff

Previous season:

- Kobe's final year
- Can a healthy Cavs team avenge their Finals loss
- Kevin Durant's last contract year in OKC
- JR Smith doing stuff
Farmer1906
AG
Can a team with only 2 stars be considered a super team? That is the minimum to complete at this point.
Iowaggie
AG
Will the Grizzlies Chandler Parsons, Tyreke Evans, Mario Chalmers, and Ben McLemore combine to miss more than 127 games this year?

Related, if Chris Wallace (Grizz GM) went looking for kitchen furniture, would he only look for tables and chairs that he could buy on discount because it had at least one bad leg?
Obi Wan Ginobili
Iowaggie said:

Will the Grizzlies Chandler Parsons, Tyreke Evans, Mario Chalmers, and Ben McLemore combine to miss more than 127 games this year?

Related, if Chris Wallace (Grizz GM) went looking for kitchen furniture, would he only look for tables and chairs that he could buy on discount because it had at least one bad leg?
I'm interested to see if the Grizz don't consider blowing things up. If Conley starts missing games again, he and Gasol could bring back some huge returns.

Gasol is only 32 (same age as Aldridge), and he's easily a top 3 center in the game right now. To top that off, he's only making 22-23 million a year, and he has two years guaranteed on his contract, so he wouldn't be a half year rental.

Conley is overpaid for how many games the guy has missed, but when he isn't hurt, he's an incredible player.

Memphis will be a playoff team if the two of them stay healthy, but they will be in the 6-8 range. This is their worst team in years, and without Tony Allen and Randolph coming off the bench, I just don't know what their plan is.
Mr.Bond
AG
GS Warriors 2018 nba champions

Sorry for being a spoiler
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

TajMaballer
AG
Mr.Bond said:

GS Warriors2018 nba champions

Sorry for being a spoiler

Spoiler tag that *****
Iowaggie
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Iowaggie said:

I'm interested to see if the Grizz don't consider blowing things up. If Conley starts missing games again, he and Gasol could bring back some huge returns.

Gasol is only 32 (same age as Aldridge), and he's easily a top 3 center in the game right now. To top that off, he's only making 22-23 million a year, and he has two years guaranteed on his contract, so he wouldn't be a half year rental.

Conley is overpaid for how many games the guy has missed, but when he isn't hurt, he's an incredible player.

Memphis will be a playoff team if the two of them stay healthy, but they will be in the 6-8 range. This is their worst team in years, and without Tony Allen and Randolph coming off the bench, I just don't know what their plan is.

Although I think Memphis is a top 15 team, I'm not sure they are a playoff team in the West.
It's an intriguing roster if the roster can stay healthy, including Parsons, Chalmers, and Tyreke Evans. WIthout Zach and Tony, they are a completely different team now.

It will be an interesting October because the top 2 owners (Robert Pera, Steven Kaplan) have a buy/sell agreement in place for this October, and if there is a change there could be a fire sale, especially if, as you mentioned, they start losing if Mike and Marc are missing games.
Guitarsoup
AG
Iowaggie said:

Chandler Parsons will probably miss 127 games by himself.
Saint Pablo
Golden State
TajMaballer
AG

badharambe
AG
barring injury, GS wins, I imagine they will break the wins record this year.

no other stories matter. the NBA is yawn.

but I'll watch my Rockets take on GS tonight! Hopefully Capela and Anderson have continued to develop this offseason.....
Farmer1906
AG
I wouldn't expect much development from Anderson. He is who he is.

But I agree the NBA is boring with GS.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Farmer1906 said:

But I agree the NBA is boring with GS.
It is about the same for me as watching SEC football with Nick Saban's Alabama. Yes, they are very dominant and like 95+% chance will win, but I can still appreciate at a certain level their excellence while wondering if anybody, somebody, will be able to pull the upset and knock them off.
True Anomaly
AG
So am I the only person who is constantly amazed at the collective forgetting about Marv Albert wore panties and garters and liked to bite women?
CactusThomas
AG
Nobody forgot about Perv Albert.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG

WOW.
Iowaggie
AG
OKC is 0-5 vs the West right now and currently are in last place in their division.

I find that unexpected.
CactusThomas
AG
Meanwhile the Celtics have won 10 in a row.
CactusThomas
AG
CactusThomas
AG
CactusThomas
AG
CactusThomas
AG
CactusThomas
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
badharambe
AG

I haven't gotten to watch a game. Are they just dominating on defense?
CactusThomas
AG
Correct. They also have had to deal with several key injuries but they have enough scorers that they have had someone step up in each game.

In addition to Hayward being out every game, Tatum, Irving, and Horford have missed games during this stretch.

Believe it or not but so far Al Horford has been an elite defender by most metrics. Kyrie Irving is much better suited for the Celtics game than he was at being LeBron's man servant. And Jason Tatum has exceeded all rookie expectations. Finally, Brown has really turned the corner in his second year - he's a very good two way player who looks like K Leonard did at this point in his career.

Of course being in the eastern conference they have gotten to beat up on more than their fair share of cupcakes. The good teams they have beaten during this streak are GSW, Spurs - without Leonard, Raptors, and the Bucks. The 6ers and Magic are decent but the other teams are trash.
Iowaggie
AG
Close, I guess....

Seven Costanza
AG
Did anyone listen to Steve Kerr on Bill Simmons' podcast this week? Politics aside, Kerr is just an interesting, thoughtful, well-rounded person who probably would have been successful in any number of career fields. He reminds me of Popovich in some ways. Check it out.
Iowaggie
AG
CactusThomas
AG
Did y'all see Brooke Lopez airball two free throws in a row the other night? 80 percent on the season. Pretty funny to see.
Iowaggie
AG
Iowaggie
AG

Iowaggie
AG

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.