Is MJ jealous of Lebron?

3,770 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
C Loves L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He always seems to take a jab at LeBron, every chance he gets. He's been on this "Kobe, is better than Lebron" crap for years.

The way i see it. Kobe and MJ were both SGs and no one has Kobe, ahead of Jordan. Kobe, idolized Jordan, so Jordan is always going to use Kobe to help squash the "LeBron is the GOAT" chatter. As long as he tries to convince everyone that Kobe, is better than Lebron, he feels his legacy is safe.

Jordan, couldn't do the things on the court that Lebron can being that Lebron can play all 5 positions. He knows this just like everyone else does. I think that bothers him.

Seems to me that Jordan, is having a hard time with Lebron being a candidate for the GOAT. Anyone else think this about Jordan and his comments on LeBron/Kobe?
CreedBratton
I've never seen, more rogue, commas, in my entire, life, than in your post.

But to answer you question, no
Pumpkinhead
AG
The only 'jealousy' that I could see Jordan maybe feeling with regards to LeBron is wishing he was 20 years younger so that he could kick LeBron's ass.

0% chance that Jordan thinks LeBron is a better player than he was. 0%. Again, zero...zero percent.

Ulrich
Pumpkinhead said:

The only 'jealousy' that I could see Jordan maybe feeling with regards to LeBron is wishing he was 20 years younger so that he could kick LeBron's ass.

0% chance that Jordan thinks LeBron is a better player than he was. 0%. Again, zero...zero percent.

Which probably only makes Jordan more upset that it's a discussion.

Also Jordan drafted Kwame Brown number one overall, so his evaluation skills are not exactly on point.
flashplayer
AG
It's dumb to compare the two. Different eras. Different bodies. Different roles. Different difficulty of competition.

1 on 1 would be fun to watch. They'd both be unstoppable.
Guitarsoup
AG
Kobe has zero claim that he was better than Jordan.

LeBron already had a lot of people that think he is the GOAT and by the time he retires, his resume may challenge Jordan if he signs with the Spurs in 2018.

It is in Jordan's legacy's best interest to slight LBJ and prop up Kobe because Kobe isn't better than Jordan
Pumpkinhead
AG
Ulrich said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Which probably only makes Jordan more upset that it's a discussion.

Also Jordan drafted Kwame Brown number one overall, so his evaluation skills are not exactly on point.
To be clear, I wasn't trying to say that Jordan was definitely a better player than LeBron. Only that there is no doubt in my mind that Jordan believes 100% that he was a better player.

Personally, I still have MJ as #1 all-time with LeBron a notch behind at #2.

Kobe, I have him more or less lumped in with several other superstar-level guys who were the best player on multiple title winning teams like Kobe/Magic/Bird/Duncan/Shaq/etc. Awesome players all of those guys, but in terms of 'All Time Greatest' I really only see that as an MJ vs. LeBron debate for me personally.
Ulrich
I agree with most of that, I was just making the point that what you said doesn't preclude Jordan from propping up Kobe to defend his own legacy. If he were known for being gracious and humble so that he could simply let it go, then yeah he wouldn't have much motive besides unbiased opinion... but that's not exactly his reputation.

Also, imo Kobe is at the top of the third tier. 1st tier Jordan and LeBron, 2nd tier guys who could carry a bad team to contention, 3rd tier great players who still needed a lot of help to contend for titles.
C Loves L
Guitarsoup said:

Kobe has zero claim that he was better than Jordan.

LeBron already had a lot of people that think he is the GOAT and by the time he retires, his resume may challenge Jordan if he signs with the Spurs in 2018.

It is in Jordan's legacy's best interest to slight LBJ and prop up Kobe because Kobe isn't better than Jordan

Exactly!
PatAg
AG
C Loves L said:

He always seems to take a jab at LeBron, every chance he gets. He's been on this "Kobe, is better than Lebron" crap for years.

The way i see it. Kobe and MJ were both SGs and no one has Kobe, ahead of Jordan. Kobe, idolized Jordan, so Jordan is always going to use Kobe to help squash the "LeBron is the GOAT" chatter. As long as he tries to convince everyone that Kobe, is better than Lebron, he feels his legacy is safe.

Jordan, couldn't do the things on the court that Lebron can being that Lebron can play all 5 positions. He knows this just like everyone else does. I think that bothers him.

Seems to me that Jordan, is having a hard time with Lebron being a candidate for the GOAT. Anyone else think this about Jordan and his comments on LeBron/Kobe?
Lebron can't play all 5 positions, get real.
MookieBlaylock
AG
He is def pissed at the money LeBron is making and showing no respect to the man that made the NBA

Pumpkinhead
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

He is def pissed at the money LeBron is making and showing no respect to the man that made the NBA

MJ has an estimated 2017 net worth of 1.31 BILLION. He made $120 million in 2016 just from Nike Jordan Brand royalties.

LeBron James has an estimated 2017 net worth of 400 million, he is raking in money and also has a huge Nike deal, but MJ is by far the richer guy and I doubt anything Jordan says is some form of financial envy.
CactusThomas
AG
Ulrich said:

Dude. Kwame brown is pretty good, haven't you seen the big3?
Kellso
I agree with Michael Jordan. I would take Kobe Bryant over Lebron James.

I don't care that Lebron is versatile and can play 5 different positions. If the game is the on the line or If I have to choose one of these guys with my life on the line Im choosing Kobe Bryant.

It seems like there is this notion in the stats community that extremely high level scorers are downgraded because "all they do is score points" and they don't fill out a box score with assists, steals and rebounds like a Lebron or Kevin Garnett.
Ulrich
Bryant put up well-rounded counting stats for years. The "notion in the stats community" is that Bryant is wildly overrated because his efficiency is so low. He's one of the worst of all time in the clutch.

It's not a lack of skills, it's because of all the times he launched an airball fadeaway from six feet past the arc when there was a wide open teammate under the basket. He was a fundamentally flawed basketball player in a way LeBron has never been.
Guitarsoup
AG
Phil Jackson called Kobe uncoachable
Kobe forced the Lakers to trade Shaq
1999 NBA Semis: 14-34 for 36 points in games 3 and 4 combined - swept out of playoffs
2000 NBA Finals Game 5: 4-20 for 8 points - bailed out by Shaq
2000 NBA Finals Game 6: 8-27 - Bailed out by Shaq
2003 NBA Semis Game 6 (Closout): 20 points and 7 turnovers
2004 NBA Finals Game 3: 4-13
2004 NBA Finals Game 4: 8-25
2004 NBA Finals Game 5: 7-21
2005 Season: Finished 34-48 in his prime
2006 NBA First Round Game 7: Kobe refused to take a shot in the second half to prove how valuable he was.
2007 NBA First Round game 5 (Closeout): 13-33 with 6 turnovers
2008 NBA Finals Game 4: 6-19
2008 NBA Finals Game 5: 8-21 w/6 turnovers
2008 NBA Finals Game 6: 7-22
2010 NBA Finals Game 6: 6-24 - Bailed out by Gasol and Artest
2011 NBA Semis Game 4 (of sweep): 7-18 for 17 points and 5 turnovers
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
PHIL JACKSON IS A BUM.
zooguy96
Queen James will never be in the same league as his Airness.

Can't win a championship without selecting other superstars to play with him. Has to have the coach he chooses. Spoiled millennial prima donna.

In short - he's a p u$$y.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
CactusThomas
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Kobe forced the Lakers to trade Shaq

Unforgivable, in my opinion. Shaq was the most unstoppable player the league had seen in years at the time.
Pumpkinhead
AG
MJ definitely jabs at LeBron. The Kobe jab. The 'Kawhi Leonard is best two-way player in game' jab, etc. And no doubt it is because LeBron is considered about as close to MJ as anyone has gotten in the 'best ever' rankings by many folks.

But MJ ain't likely doing it because he is 'jealous' of LeBron. He is much more likely doing it cause he talked trash and jabbed at other guys who tried to compete against him as a player, and he still does that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.