Greg Popovich = Snowflake

4,051 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jteagle
SilverTongueDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another 5 minute diatribe after the inauguration. For God's sake just STFU and coach basketball.

Malcolm52
AG
So just a rant with no information? What were his comments?

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a snowflake, just like when you disagree with people it doesn't make you a bigot.
CactusThomas
AG
SilverTongueDevil said:

For God's sake just STFU and coach basketball.

Mort Rainey
Here's a thought: maybe he's a hell of a lot smarter than you are
CactusThomas
AG
What's smart about alienating your fan base?
WES2006AG
AG
Always hated Pop, but always respected the man. This makes me respect him even more, it can't be easy to speak your mind when you know you are going to take a verbal beating for it.
CactusThomas
AG
WES2006AG said:

Always hated Pop, but always respected the man. This makes me respect him even more, it can't be easy to speak your mind when you know you are going to take a verbal beating for it.

Verbal beating from where? Certainly not the national media. Maybe from his fan base? From Texags?

I don't think speaking his mind makes him some kind of hero.
Mort Rainey
CactusThomas said:

Wasn't what I meant. I meant if you totally disagree with someone as smart as him, maybe it's time to take a long look at why you believe what you do.

And you're kidding yourself if you think this will, in any way shape or form, affect the Spurs fan base. No one is going to stop watching or going to games because of this
SilverTongueDevil
Malcolm52 said:

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a snowflake, just like when you disagree with people it doesn't make you a bigot.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18528662/gregg-popovich-san-antonio-spurs-again-critical-donald-trump

I guess what I would really like Popovich to say is who he voted for and why he believes they are so much better. Not because he has to, but to just run your mouth doesn't make him much different than Kaepernick (who also didn't vote). And if, like Kaepernick, says he didn't bother to vote then I have no interest in his opinion.

He accused Trump of being dishonest??? OK. But if he supported Hillary I'm not to take him seriously if honesty is a dealbreaker for him.

Maybe Bobby Knight and Greg Popovich can agree to a debate. That would be fun.

Mort Rainey
SilverTongueDevil said:

Malcolm52 said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18528662/gregg-popovich-san-antonio-spurs-again-critical-donald-trump

I guess what I would really like Popovich to say is who he voted for and why he believes they are so much better. Not because he has to, but to just run your mouth doesn't make him much different than Kaepernick (who also didn't vote). And if, like Kaepernick, says he didn't bother to vote then I have no interest in his opinion.

He accused Trump of being dishonest??? OK. But if he supported Hillary I'm not to take him seriously if honesty is a dealbreaker for him.

Maybe Bobby Knight and Greg Popovich can agree to a debate. That would be fun.

You hit the nail on the head with this.
superunknown
AG
Pop has a degree in Soviet Studies and could have gone CIA. I'd like to see a debate between him and Bobby Knight.
WES2006AG
AG
superunknown said:

Pop has a degree in Soviet Studies and could have gone CIA. I'd like to see a debate between him and Bobby Knight.
If this debate were to take place we would all get to see why Bobby and Texas Tech were perfect for each other.
SilverTongueDevil
WES2006AG said:

superunknown said:

If this debate were to take place we would all get to see why Bobby and Texas Tech were perfect for each other.
Bobby Knight is a very smart man. Don't let the inability to control the temper fool you. Kind of like Popovich acting like a Dbag to the media is not a sign of lack of intelligence.

It is possible it would be like Trump debating Hillary.
gordo97
AG
So Ted Nugent is allowed to talk politics but Pop is not???
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'd prefer if OP STFU'd.
Mort Rainey
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'd prefer if OP STFU'd.
SilverTongueDevil
gordo97 said:

I don't really care what either has to say or Madonna, Ashley Judd, Jon Voight etc.

Like I said previously, if you are going insist on running your mouth put it out there who you thought would be a better alternative and prepare for the onslaught.

At least Mark Cuban was front and center on who he wanted in there and defended it. He wasn't just anti-Trump he was campaigning for Clinton. To his credit, once the election was over he moved on and wished Trump the best.
Mort Rainey
SilverTongueDevil said:

gordo97 said:

I don't really care what either has to say or Madonna, Ashley Judd, Jon Voight etc.

Like I said previously, if you are going insist on running your mouth put it out there who you thought would be a better alternative and prepare for the onslaught.

At least Mark Cuban was front and center on who he wanted in there and defended it. He wasn't just anti-Trump he was campaigning for Clinton. To his credit, once the election was over he moved on and wished Trump the best.
No one should have to include an alternative for the Presidency with their critique of Donald Trump. Pick a ****ing name out of a hat
jeffdjohnson
Who is the "snowflake" here? Popovich or the person who gets *triggered* by an American exercising their first amendment rights.

Maybe next time Popovich will send out a *trigger warning* for the "snowflakes" who can't handle thoughts outside their own bubble.
Malcolm52
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

Who is the "snowflake" here? Popovich or the person who gets *triggered* by an American exercising their first amendment rights.

Maybe next time Popovich will send out a *trigger warning* for the "snowflakes" who can't handle thoughts outside their own bubble.
exactly. I don't understand either side of the aisle freaking out when somebody does or says something they don't like. It's mind boggling
Ag Natural
AG
Pop was pretty outspoken before the election claiming there wasn't a great option for president. I don't know if he voted for Hilary, but he certainly didn't endorse her. I'd say it's most likely he considered her the lesser of two bad options.

At any rate, expressing disapproval with elected officials is our constitutional right. It's kinda what separates us from Tunisia.
Mort Rainey
Malcolm52 said:

jeffdjohnson said:

exactly. I don't understand either side of the aisle freaking out when somebody does or says something they don't like. It's mind boggling
OP can't handle hearing anyone who doesn't agree exactly with him
samurai_science
GeorgePlimpton said:

CactusThomas said:

Wasn't what I meant. I meant if you totally disagree with someone as smart as him, maybe it's time to take a long look at why you believe what you do.

And you're kidding yourself if you think this will, in any way shape or form, affect the Spurs fan base. No one is going to stop watching or going to games because of this
Or maybe we can first define what smart means.....I work with some PHD's, they are very 'smart'. But can barely empty the trash without help.
Andy07
AG
If only Pop had ran

http://www.wsj.com/articles/should-we-draft-gregg-popovich-for-president-1455134976
CreedBratton
SilverTongueDevil said:

Another 5 minute diatribe after the inauguration. For God's sake just STFU and coach basketball.

So making a comment on anything other than basketball is equivalent to him not doing his job? Do you talk about your job 24/7 when you're at the office? God forbid people have an opinion on anything these days
amercer
AG
Pop, the one man texags will allow to speak his mind.

I wish he posted on the politics board.
PatAg
AG
People that use the term snowflake
CreedBratton
Rockets fan here. Definitely no Spurs fan. But I'm also a fan of freedom of speech
6-4-3
AG
CreedBratton said:

Rockets fan here. Definitely no Spurs fan. But I'm also a fan of freedom of speech

"Freedom of speech" addresses the tyranny of government action (Congress, laws, law enforcement and judicial system) to suppress free expression of various kinds. It has nothing to do with the consequences that may occur outside of government action. Example, a private employer can fire you for things you say. Your subscribers can choose to turn off the TV. Your customers can stop shopping at your place of business. And your fans can stop buying your music. Somewhere Madonna and Dixie Chicks can join for dinner and bottles of wine and talk about yesterdays.

I have no problem with with Pop said. I have no problem that some might disagree with what Pop said and voice their opinions (whatever snowflake even means). The Spurs might or might not like what Pop said and certainly can discuss this with him privately or publicly. They write the checks.

Pop isn't an idiot. He knows some will disagree with what he says and he doesn't seem like the type to care so much. The flip side is that he has made a ton of money and hangs around highly paid athlete entertainers each day, so it would be easy for him (and the Hollywood set) to be out of touch with the issues that concern Joe Middle America (he of stagnant wage growth or job loss with two teenagers).

Pop wants to venture into territory where there seems little upside for him and lots of potential downside. He is well aware of that. And OP is certainly happy to state his mind also. Good for him. I don't see a problem here.

Let's talk basketball... who do you all have coming out of the East if the Cavs stumble? Can Eric Gordon stay healthy for the Rockets? .
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

"Freedom of speech" addresses the tyranny of government action (Congress, laws, law enforcement and judicial system) to suppress free expression of various kinds. It has nothing to do with the consequences that may occur outside of government action....

.....re seems little upside for him and lots of potential downside. He is well aware of that. And OP is certainly happy to state his mind also. Good for him. I don't see a problem here.
On the surface, yes, and in a negative "protective" sense, for the most part yes.

When one looks to the environment speech protections look to foster, the positive side of our freedom of speech apparatus, it breaks down when we seek to marginalize speech we disagree with like when our reaction is just "stfu."

Freedom of speech is failing in America and not just because government intrusion.
WilCoAg17
AG
You can respect a man for his skills coaching and disagree with his political views. This doesn't change how I feel about God's gift to basketball coaching. Pop is a legend in every sense of the word.
jteagle
AG
Coach Pop 1,128 wins which is the most in NBA history for a coach for one team. Just passed Jerry Sloan! I'm really glad he coaches my team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.