Which young NBA player has the highest ceiling?

17,317 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Head Ninja In Charge
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has already been an entertaining season as expected, but I can't help but notice that there are some veeeery good young players with NBA2K Create-A-Player-esque skill sets. Who do y'all think has the highest ceiling out of these guys?

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Karl-Anthony Towns
Andrew Wiggins
Kristaps Porzingis
Joel Embiid

All but Embiid are just 21 which is crazy to me.
Farmer1906
AG
If I have to pick just one then I say Joel.
Forum Troll
AG
Towns easily imo.
Farmer1906
AG
I have a hard time saying easily. Maybe eliminate the Greek freak.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
What! 22/8/6/2/2. He's damn near 7 feet tall and picks up his dribble from before the three-point line before dunking it. Probably the 2nd best athlete in the league behind Westbrook right now. I don't know if I could eliminate him so easily.
Farmer1906
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

What! 22/8/6/2/2. He's damn near 7 feet tall and picks up his dribble from before the three-point line before dunking it. Probably the 2nd best athlete in the league behind Westbrook right now. I don't know if I could eliminate him so easily.
I haven't caught him this year.

Last 2 years he's been 13/7/2/1/1 & 17/8/4/1/1. He's a freak for sure.
Deputy Travis Junior
Damn, that's a really nice crop of rising stars. I'd probably eliminate Embiid simply because of his foot. After that, can we eliminate any due to deficiencies on the defensive end? I know Giannis, Towns, and Wiggins are solid, but not sure about Porzingis.

I'd probably pick Towns or Porzingis simply because skilled big men are becoming so rare. Guys like them give their teams SO much more offensive versatility than other squads have. But I love watching Giannis highlights.
Ulrich
Anthony Davis is practically ancient at 23
True Anomaly
AG
KAT is my pick
Guitarsoup
AG
If Embiid can stay healthy, I think him.

He is on a strict 24mpg limit and is putting up 19/8/2.4. And he watched youtube videos of white people shooting and has hit 50% of his threes on 40 attempts.

His Current Per-36 is:

29 points
12 rebounds
3.8 blocks
47% FG
50% 3FG
78% FT

None of these players have put together a per-36 season of 25ppg, 11rpg, 3bpg:
Robinson, Olajuwon, Shaq, Walton, Duncan, Ewing

Kareem might have, but they didn't always count blocks.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Those numbers are skewed bc he can go all out just for 24

I said it 10 years ago but the nba will be European and world based very soon

Farmer1906
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Those numbers are skewed bc he can go all out just for 24

I said it 10 years ago but the nba will be European and world based very soon

Has it changed much over the last 10 years. There was a big rush, but I feel like its been pretty even since.
Iowaggie
AG
I think the highest ceiling is Giannis Antetokounmpo.

He's a freak athlete.

However, I think Towns ends up the best of that group.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Davis or Towns.

Let's also not forget that Kawhi is only 25 and he didn't accumulate a lot of miles his first two seasons.
Guitarsoup
AG
Embiid with 33p/10r/3b/2s in 27 minutes tonight.
knoxtom
Devin Booker will be the best of the young ones. He is the guy who scares the hell out of everyone in the league. He will be the best two guard in the NBA in 1.5 years.

DeAaron Fox will be second best, KAT will be third best. Giannis is a reborn Scottie Pippen, if he learns to shoot he will be ridiculous. Embiid is fantastic but will always battle his feet. Scary when a big guys have foot problems (Ming, Walton, etc). This is a really good crop of young talent.

I guess Fox doesn't really count since he isn't in the league yet, but he could start tomorrow in the NBA and go for 17 and 10
Farmer1906
AG
knoxtom said:

Devin Booker will be the best of the young ones. He is the guy who scares the hell out of everyone in the league. He will be the best two guard in the NBA in 1.5 years.

DeAaron Fox will be second best, KAT will be third best. Giannis is a reborn Scottie Pippen, if he learns to shoot he will be ridiculous. Embiid is fantastic but will always battle his feet. Scary when a big guys have foot problems (Ming, Walton, etc). This is a really good crop of young talent.

I guess Fox doesn't really count since he isn't in the league yet, but he could start tomorrow in the NBA and go for 17 and 10
Already counting Harden as a 1?

I think Booker is/will be good, but he's likely behind just about everyone on this list. And that isn't a shot. This listed is stacked.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Harden just turned 27 and likely has about 5 more prime years. Nobody is scared of Devin Booker.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I think D'Angelo Russell will be a better player than Devin Booker.
Mort Rainey
aggie1906 said:

I have a hard time saying easily. Maybe eliminate the Greek freak.
You'd eliminate the greek freak instead of Wiggins? get the hell out of here
knoxtom
Lebron was asked who the next big superstar was and named Booker. Pretty sure LeBron has a bit more basketball knowledge than posters on this board.

The list is stacked. All of them are really good. I love that all of the players listed have actual basketball skills, for so many years the NBA has just been about most athletic, skills are coming back.

And yes, I was considering Harden a PG now. Best 2 guards are probably Klay Matthews and Derozan. I think Booker can pass them within 1.5 years.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
knoxtom said:

Lebron was asked who the next big superstar was and named Booker. Pretty sure LeBron has a bit more basketball knowledge than posters on this board.
Good Poster
AG
knoxtom said:

I think Booker can pass them within 1.5 years.

Lmao
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Don't get me wrong, Devin Booker is/will be a good player, but I see a career that says "3-time All-Star", not "Best shooting guard in the league." He does a lot well, nothing incredible. He's supposed to be a good shooter, but I think Wiggins (yes, technically a SF) is a better long distance shooter than Booker is.
Farmer1906
AG
knoxtom said:

The list is stacked. All of them are really good. I love that all of the players listed have actual basketball skills, for so many years the NBA has just been about most athletic, skills are coming back.

And yes, I was considering Harden a PG now. Best 2 guards are probably Klay Matthews and Derozan. I think Booker can pass them within 1.5 years.
knoxtom
That is funny. Perfect gif

Obviously meant klay thompson.
jeffdjohnson
Greek Freak has a 27.38 PER
Towns, Embiid, Porzingas all 20.0+ PER

Devin Booker... 13.08 PER

Greek Freak seems to have made a leap this year. Considering his athleticism I think he has the highest upside. Embiid might be next, health scares non-withstanding.
Farmer1906
AG
knoxtom said:

That is funny. Perfect gif

Obviously meant klay thompson.
I know you did, but I had to do it.

SG aint the glamour position is was a decade ago. No more prime Kobe, Allen, McGrady, Iverson (played both), Wade, Manu, etc.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
This jerk is stealing our material:

https://theringer.com/battle-of-the-nba-unicorns-bdf6c4a7b331#.98l1xc4mp
Hudson2508
AG
Giannis is the next mega star. KAT will be too but Giannis' ceiling is incredible.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Knicks screwed up by having Kurt Thomas guarding him. He much be in his late 40s now.
knoxtom
Giannis game winner was both a five second violation and a pretty blatant travel, yet neither was called. He is already getting the star treatment.
EmbiidFan

At 2:13- So comfortable catching the ball and making the play from any spot on the floor, displaying ridiculous handles to drive to the hoop for the slam, all at 7'2" 275. Embiid' is a monster. At one point earlier in the season he was shooting something like 50% on 40 3s. He's at just under 40% now.

Highest ceiling by far.

Nevermind the dreamshakes.
Ulrich
Embiid looks the part, but there are a couple reasons it's hard to see him sustaining a high level of play for long.

Sadly, we'll be dealing with Giannis's name for years because that dude is a star.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.