Youth Soccer Switching off Birth Years?

5,187 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Rudyjax
Pahdz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saw something on Twitter yesterday about youth soccer going back to grade level classification and not the current birth year setup anymore? Can't verify validity (even my club age director wasn't sold on it). Would eliminate trapped players like my daughter will be this year as a 2010 incoming 8th grader with nowhere to play in the fall (soccer is a fall HS sport here in Minnesota).

I know we have some ECNL/GA/EA families here, anyone hear or see the same?
Ags-R-Better
I've been hearing discussions about going back to grade level vs birth year, and my understanding is they are moving to this for the 2025 season. I don't think it will make a difference for players already on an ECNL/RL/GA team as I imagine those trapped players will continue to play up with their current team, with the option to play "down" with their grade level during the high school soccer season. This move will mostly impact the new 2012 teams, but obviously may depend on the competitiveness of the team and how much playing time your daughter gets as a younger player.

My daughter also plays on a Texas 2010 ECNL team, we've probably crossed paths.
Pahdz
Definitely have not, my daughter is a mid level player at our club and is going somewhere in life because of her brain not her soccer ability, just keeping her playing for the personal growth aspect of team sports.

I've just coached for six years and have former players at that level and stay pretty connected with them.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Good, was dumb move to begin with, screwed up all my kids team when they did it originally, created all kinds of non solvable problems as you mentioned.
tysker
AG
Was there any talk of bio-banding?
I like the concept, especially considering the diverse body types, physiques, and early exposure to soccer in the US compared to other countries. But I wonder if this is a solution for a problem of its own making.

edit: if teh above video from USSF doesn't load, here's one from CBS NY

fishag04
AG
How did the grade level classification work previously? Was it done on actual grade or what grade the child should be in? I know a ton of parents(mainly boys) hold summer birthdays back a grade.
Pahdz
Excellent question and that's the one positive thing about the birth year classification is it keeps those parents who try to get cute and hold kids back for sport purposes.
swc93
AG
It was a big issue when they switched, basically a lost year for my son because of select teams getting blown up. Higher leagues will likely stay age pure anyway. No reason to go back and recreate all that drama. You can play with your grade level at High School if you are so inclined.

They need to spend more time on playing under pressure and one touch play than shuffling birthday implications again.
oh no
AG
fishag04 said:

How did the grade level classification work previously? Was it done on actual grade or what grade the child should be in? I know a ton of parents(mainly boys) hold summer birthdays back a grade.
most of USA used to use an August 31 or Sept 1 cutoff for age and in 2012 or so, USSF asked all clubs to switch to a calendar year Jan 1 cutoff to be aligned with the rest of the world.

It made it easier to just say a birth year instead of a "U-12" or whatever, but school cutoff being August and soccer cut off being in January made soccer teams all span across two grades usually.. or grades have soccer players that span across multiple birth years. Not really that big of a deal, IMO, except maybe at the highest levels for USSF where they are scouting ECNL or MLS next to evaluate for the USYNT camps. Some Karens don't like the calendar/birth year cutoff just because little johnny's friend from class is playing a year older or a year younger at the soccer club, but that is all.
Rudyjax
AG
Perfect. Just in time for my trapped '07 senior year.

It's really hard on the trapped players.

She probably won't play club her senior year as she would have to join a new team.

She also faced social issues being in 8th grade when 75% of her teammates were high school.

What Klinsmann failed to realize or didn't care is that Europe goes by birth year for school.

Pahdz
they do? Interesting
Rudyjax
AG
Pahdz said:

they do? Interesting

No. It depends on the state. I was wrong. Screw me.
oh no
AG
my 07 son was a trapped player too... one of only two 8th graders on his club team a couple of years ago. fall birthday = young for his birthyear.

players are only trapped that one year at u15/u16 when some are in high school and some still in 8th. It's only a "trap" because once you get to U15 or U16, ECNL and a lot of club leagues take a break from competition from Nov/Dec until April while all the club players are competing in their high school season and those 8th graders have nothing. Mine just did 8th grade track & field, trained with the 08 team at the club a few times per week, went to his agility trainer, etc. during his trap time when his teammates were playing high school soccer.

if they change back to august cutoff instead of Jan 1 cutoff now, an 07 that is going into his or her junior or senior year of high school should still have club teams to play for, even if the rosters/makeup of the teams shift with the age cut off shifting. Clubs usually go to U19 too, don't they?

Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

my 07 son was a trapped player too... one of only two 8th graders on his club team a couple of years ago. fall birthday = young for his birthyear.

players are only trapped that one year at u15/u16 when some are in high school and some still in 8th. It's only a "trap" because once you get to U15 or U16, ECNL and a lot of club leagues take a break from competition from Nov/Dec until April while all the club players are competing in their high school season and those 8th graders have nothing. Mine just did 8th grade track & field, trained with the 08 team at the club a few times per week, went to his agility trainer, etc. during his trap time when his teammates were playing high school soccer.

if they change back to august cutoff instead of Jan 1 cutoff now, an 07 that is going into his or her junior or senior year of high school should still have club teams to play for, even if the rosters/makeup of the teams shift with the age cut off shifting. Clubs usually go to U19 too, don't they?

there are 2 trap years. One is 8th grade and one is their senior year.

While it's U19, the bulk of most teams graduate. It's math.

My daughter happened to change teams this year due to her coach abandoning the team. Her new team was an '06 team with the majority being trapped '06s. This is that teams last year. She would have to play for another new team her senior year.

Her team for many years had a sister '08 team they'd practice with, and all of the '08s were in her grade.

For the 07's it won't make a difference. If they had done this a few years ago, my daughter definitely would've played for her clubs '08 team because those girls were all in her grade. Doesn't matter next year.

oh no
AG
i see. that sucks. i guess if she loves it, she'll find another new good team for her senior year. otherwise, f club soccer. is she seeking scholarships / need to be playing in showcases?
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

i see. that sucks. i guess if she loves it, she'll find another new good team for her senior year. otherwise, f club soccer. is she seeking scholarships / need to be playing in showcases?

She'll be playing in showcases but the schools that want her she doesn't want to attend.

She has no interest in D2 and small D1s.

She's looking at A&M, ou, OSU, Arkansas.

Saturday schools.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.