******BTHO Rice******

2,492 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie soccer is (finally) kicking off the official Spring leg of their 2020-2021 season. We've had some exhibitions and some games cancelled, heck even tonight's match was pushed a day. Yeah - things are weird. BUT Texas A&M soccer faces Rice tonight at 7PM.

The game will be played at Rice, so no SEC+ coverage, but you can follow the action with your earholes by using the 12th Man Mobile App. Rice will not be selling any walk up tickets, so Aggie fans are out of luck.

A little about Rice. They skipped the Fall season in lieu of this Spring schedule. Officially kicking things off on February 7, Rice has played to a 4-2 record. Wins have come over a paltry group of McNeese State (2-1), UTSA (1-0 & 3-2), and Texas Southern (8-0). They lost to Houston (0-2) and UNT (1-2). For reference, Texas A&M edged out a 1-0 "victory" against UNT in a spring exhibition.

Rice is coached by Brian Lee, longtime coach for LSU and someone A&M is familiar with. Scoring has been led by junior midfielder Madison Kent and her 4 goals. Also notable is the 2 goals and 2 assists that international player Catarina Albuquerque has. More notable is her name because it sounds like a really awesome alias. Bella Killgore has allowed 7 goals through 6 games and registered 19 saves.

A&M is 5-0 against the Rice Owls all-time. The last meeting came in 2016, where the Aggies won 4-1.

Since we're dealing with a condensed season, there's your condensed write-up for tonight. It's entirely possible that, like our matches, my future write-ups might get cancelled without warning.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
$6.+ pay tv on Rice website
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
mullokmotx
AG
Dave Ellis reports Ali Russell is sick and not playing and Barbara Olivieri is out due to 5 yellow cards.
CDub06
AG
David Ellis is serenading our dinner.
CDub06
AG
Goal Aggies! 1-0 1st half.
CDub06
AG
And immediately it's 2-0
mullokmotx
AG
Goal by Kolb after 30:26. Now a GOAL by Taylor Ziemer at 30:39.
CDub06
AG
Ziemer got the 2nd goal. Macie Kolb credited with the 1st in a mass of humanity in front of the goal.
CDub06
AG
Kate Colvin is also unavailable due to injury
CDub06
AG
Owls on the board before halftime.
2-1 Aggies
mullokmotx
AG
Rice scores with 18 seconds left in the half.
mullokmotx
AG
And Rice ties it after 11:45 of the second half.
CDub06
mullokmotx
AG
Going to OT. We have only substituted once this game, Henderson for Smith for 4 minutes in the first half.
CDub06
AG
Ugh. There goes the Texas streak.
CDub06
AG
Rice scored on a corner in the final minute of OT1 btw
CDub06
AG
One sub through the game. Shame that freshmen aren't eligible. And shame that this is the season that counts.

This result stings.
mullokmotx
AG
I figure we only had 5 players on the bench: Burbank, Hutton, Henderson, Britton and Yoo, and 2 of them are goalkeepers. I assume Williams is not available after knee surgery and I don't know about Tera Ziemer.
HiddenAg2
Tough when you have 3 of your best players not available. But you can't lose to an average at best Rice squad and also lose a 2-0 lead. That's not good.
CDub06
AG
Video of Rice's 1st goal (from the ghost of redd)
Looks offside to me /shrug
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gk8mCaFS6WPfu3oz-4x3eHEQchiRLid_/view?usp=drivesdk
mullokmotx
AG
Rice's twitter has video of their second and third goals. Chris Henderson of All White Kit had this comment on his twitter page

"Rice pulls off the upset over Texas A&M in extra time, 3-2!

Addie McCain, Jimena Lopez gone for A&M. Olivieri didn't play. Aggies played just 12 players.

So, yeah, problems."
mullokmotx
AG
I think the last time we gave up 3 goals in consecutive games was in 2011 when we lost to Duke 7-2 and then beat North Carolina in OT 4-3 when Shea Groom got the winner.
BQ_90
AG
when did Olivieri get 5 yellow cards, does this go back to last year or something.

not sure why I think this is funny. Although I like her spunk, reminds me of M. Harvey. I can remember her getting a yellow walking away from the ref dropping f bombs about their call.
mullokmotx
AG
This spring is the continuation of the Fall 2020 season. Olivieri got 5 yellow cards in the fall. Hope it's a teachable moment for her. Love her enthusiasm and physicality but the game she sat out her team lost.
Rambotx
We can't take any of the remaining matches for granted. Dealing with Covid 19 as a team is tricky. I wonder if the coaches and players have been or will soon be vaccinated?
mullokmotx
AG
G was on the radio this afternoon with Louie Belina. Said that after 5 yellows in the regular season a player has to sit 1 game. The limit is extended to 8 in the post season. Said that Olivieri had 3 yellows in the 8 regular season games. The conference tournament is normally considered the postseason, and Olivieri picked up a yellow in each game. For some reason, someone decided she had 5 in the regular season and had to sit out the Rice game.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Great explanation there coach
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Overall, that seems like a foolish rule to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.