The English Game on Netflix

1,070 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This show dedicated to the early days of soccer. You guys may find it interesting.
AustinScubaAg
AG
Meh. It was ok but they butched the real story
deadbq03
AG
Does it get better? I bailed after the first episode, and my wife bailed after the 2nd. She loved Downton Abbey and I dutifully enjoyed it as well, so we were both disappointed to dislike this one.

It seemed like a compromise between sports and period drama that was good at neither.

But I wouldn't mind revisiting it if anyone had a similar impression at first but stuck it out and enjoyed it later.
Mike Elko
AG
On my list, though I've heard/read it's meh, as well.
aTmAg
AG
It's not Breaking Bad, that's for sure. I find the soccer parts funny, like especially when they bash passing.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
aTmAg said:

It's not Breaking Bad, that's for sure. I find the soccer parts funny, like especially when they bash passing.

I really wish they had gone deeper into why the Scots were so much better at soccer. They didn't really explain that all too well.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
aTmAg
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

aTmAg said:

I really wish they had gone deeper into why the Scots were so much better at soccer. They didn't really explain that all too well.
Yeah I was interested in strategy evolution. I was thinking that the 2nd time when Darwen was playing the Etonians for the 2nd time and the Etonians were roughing up the 2 Scottish players, why didn't the Darwen's use 2 other guys to rough up the man markers? If they are going to play soccer like American football, then go all out and block them and everything.

I couldn't give a damn about the family drama crap.

Edit: Why were the Scots so much better? Do you know?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
deadbq03 said:

It seemed like a compromise between sports and period drama that was good at neither.
Watched a few episodes and this pretty much sums it up. It felt more like a low-rent soap opera with sweaty gym wrestling trying to be passed off as soccer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.