New high school rule

3,425 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aTmAg
bbry81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got the new rules for this season and the one that caught me was new clock rules. If the the team leading make a sub in the last 5 minutes the clock is supposed to stop. What you think
Aston94
AG
I think it is a good rule change if you are going to have a running clock where the referee cannot add stoppage time on the field.

I have been at too many high school games where a coach subs in and out two players the last 5 minutes to eat up the clock and preserve the lead. This is taken care of in most leagues by allowing the referee to add stoppage time, but since UIL has the countdown clock something needed to be done.
Rudyjax
AG
Why don't they just let the ref keep the clock like in almost every other league in the world?

Sounds like lipstick on a pig.
bbry81
I think it's a good idea but I can't wait to see it implemented. I think it will be a cluster at a few schools
jeffk
AG
It's a good rule meant to end some time-wasting subs late in a game. Refs already keep time on the field if the clock operator has trouble doing so correctly.
Mathguy64
AG
It's an over correction for an issue that mostly doesn't exist and when it did a referee had a tool to deal with it. Before if you thought a team was time wasting by cycling subs you could warn the coach and if needed (a) stop the clock and (b) card the coach.

It is implementing a college rule that frankly wasn't being abused because of the limited reentey in college.

It's going to be a mess because HS time keepers don't pay attention half the time.
Mathguy64
AG
I Am Mine said:

Why don't they just let the ref keep the clock like in almost every other league in the world?

I would argue that because of clock stoppages on goals, cards, injuries and now here for subs that there is actually significantly more playing time and less blatant time wasting in a 40x2 HS game than a 40x2 U16 game.

And we keep the clock on our watch in a club game because there isn't a scoreboard. It's a grassroots deal.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Good rule

And I actually like the running clock. Did not at first but with today resources no reason for the clock to be a mystery.
Smokedraw01
mathguy86 said:

It's an over correction for an issue that mostly doesn't exist and when it did a referee had a tool to deal with it. Before if you thought a team was time wasting by cycling subs you could warn the coach and if needed (a) stop the clock and (b) card the coach.

It is implementing a college rule that frankly wasn't being abused because of the limited reentey in college.

It's going to be a mess because HS time keepers don't pay attention half the time.

Aren't we at the point that the clock can be kept on the field?
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
bbry81
Yes but people want to see the score board. The refs keep the time just in case the clock fails but fans want to know. And most people at a high school don't know what's really going on in the game so it's simpler. And I'll be honest in my area the refs aren't exactly the best to deal with that kind of stuff
Smokedraw01
bbry81 said:

Yes but people want to see the score board. The refs keep the time just in case the clock fails but fans want to know. And most people at a high school don't know what's really going on in the game so it's simpler. And I'll be honest in my area the refs aren't exactly the best to deal with that kind of stuff

I meant the scoreboard.
"If you run into an ******* in the morning, you ran into an *******. If you run into *******s all day, you're the *******." – Raylan Givens, "Justified."
bbry81
Then I'm not sure what you mean. The clock is kept on a scoreboard and only stopped for goals and cards up to this point .
birdman
You can still have a scoreboard clock and stop the time. Football, basketball, hockey, etc all seem to manage.
LeonardSkinner
In Florida, everyone "knows" the official time is kept on the field. But in most places the scoreboard clock runs, we stop it at the appropriate times, and it stops for good at two minutes remaining. The referee blows the final whistle.

If you have some freshman running the clock, it might run to 0:00, and if the horn sounds, you go with it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Foxymophandlemama said:

The better question is why soccer doesn't do what ALL other sports in the world (that have timing rules) do and have a visible countdown timer that stops for certain things.

Several things at play here. First, the horn can be turned off any clock. Second, I've officiated THOUSANDS of jr. high, high school, and college football and basketball games, and not once has a student ever run a clock. It is usually a coach in a subvarsity match, or in varsity matches, the stadium hired clock operator or someone the officials association sends. I've worked the clock in hundreds of football games and a few basketball games (really hate that, actually). We, as a football crew, wear radios to communicate and it would be very easy for a soccer field referee to have a radio set with the clock operator to communicate stoppage, if needed, or to put time back on the clock if that is needed. Alternatively, a field mic, which most varsity stadiums that in Texas would host soccer games have, a Referee can use to do the same thing.

Keeping with tradition solely for that sake is going to ruin a sport.
aTmAg
AG
I used to ask on here why doesn't FIFA use a visible clock that counts down just like every other sport (and HS soccer). There is one disadvantage of that, that I didn't realize back then. Right now, it's sorta nice that the team with the ball has one last chance to score before they blow the whistle. Like a corner kick, or one last push, etc. In HS, the last 20/30 seconds or so are kinda worthless and consist of players just trying to rip shots from 50 yards out because they are afraid of running out of time. The excitement of a last push is not there.
LeonardSkinner
Slow down, chief.

To your initial point, "every other sport" is basically football, basketball, and hockey. All of which have key differences in gameplay and fields of play that lend themselves to stoppages. I'm not a ref in those sports, but to my understanding...
Hockey clock stops when a foul is enforced, an infraction occurs, the goalie holds the puck after a save, and when the puck goes out of play.
Basketball clock stops at fouls, timeouts, when the ball goes out of play.
Football clock stops on incomplete passes, a player carries the ball out of play, change of possession, when penalties are announced, time outs, after TDs/PATs/FGs.

If we only borrow stopping for fouls and out of play, that's some 70-90 times the clock would stop in an average soccer game (Average about 25 fouls, 45 throw ins, and 10 goal kicks and corner kicks). In addition to the clock stopping already for penalty kicks, cards, and goals.

Second point, the crewing of games. Soccer is not football or basketball. I can only speak for my area, but there are high schools that have nationally ranked basketball and football teams that put out soccer teams that can be defeated by a decent middle school squad. They will not pay for a full crew, or contribute to radios, or pay a coach/teacher to run the clock. And they will ignore you if you press the issue. It's great that you get what you need, but it doesn't always trickle down to the redheaded stepchild that is soccer.
swc93
AG
So far through scrimmages, tournaments and non-district play I have only seen the clock stopped for prolonged injury and when the ref needs to talk to a coach but NOT when the ref cards a coach; he lets the clock run until the coach tires out, granted both times those coaches were on the losing team; so they should have shut up to get on with the game.

District games starting this week may be more closely managed.
swc93
AG
Quote:

In HS, the last 20/30 seconds or so are kinda worthless and consist of players just trying to rip shots from 50 yards out because they are afraid of running out of time. The excitement of a last push is not there.
Just helped with a soccer tournament for my son's school and have been to two other tournaments watching his team and parts of the freshman team. So out of the about 22 games I have seen three game tying and/or winning goals and a handful of games that were pure chaos during the last 90 seconds that left you wondering were that team was the other 60+ minutes, one goal hit the back of the net as the buzzer fired off. Last push can be pretty damn exciting if the losing team can keep possession.
aTmAg
AG
swc93 said:

Quote:

In HS, the last 20/30 seconds or so are kinda worthless and consist of players just trying to rip shots from 50 yards out because they are afraid of running out of time. The excitement of a last push is not there.
Just helped with a soccer tournament for my son's school and have been to two other tournaments watching his team and parts of the freshman team. So out of the about 22 games I have seen three game tying and/or winning goals and a handful of games that were pure chaos during the last 90 seconds that left you wondering were that team was the other 60+ minutes, one goal hit the back of the net as the buzzer fired off. Last push can be pretty damn exciting if the losing team can keep possession.
So I like the clock being visible, just not it being the "official" clock. So there would still be the rush to score at the end, but the game wouldn't end with a player still dribbling into the box for a 1v1 against the goalie and stuff like that. The player should be able to at least rip that last shot. I hate when game ends on a corner kick with the player unable to put the ball on the spot, back up, and then kick it in time. I've seen that countless times in my kids' HS and college games and it's annoying, and it happens way more often than a game ending with a score as the clock rolls to zero.

I like the idea of the game ending at the end of the current "push" or whatever. That seems to be the case in select, FIFA, and whatever, and I think it's better that way.

If they are going to stop the game when the clock hits 0:00, then they should be that anal throughout the game like the NFL. Don't be vague throughout the game and then suddenly be at the atomic clock level at the end. They should be consistent.
swc93
AG
You would of loved one of son's club games then. No clock, obviously, tied game, son's team dominating but just can't find the back of the net, corner kick, player puts the ball on the spot, raises his arm, preparing to kick...and ref blows whistle. Times up. Games over.
aTmAg
AG
Sounds like the ref was treating it like a HS game then. As soon as his timer went off, he blew the whistle regardless of what was going on in the game. That's another example of how that sucks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.