The Austin USL team announced their name today.

2,439 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgGrad99
Ferg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Austin Bold FC
jeffk
AG
Is that a font?
Smokedraw01
The team formerly know as Columbus Crew?
Ferg
No not the Crew. This is a USL expansion team that will play in a 5000 seat stadium at Circuit of the America's. Columbus Crew is still waiting approval from City of Austin to build a new stadium on city land. The Crew is MLS.
Ferg
https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/939198
Ferg
JW
Out in Left Field
AG
Is that like one of those things where it's a "B" when you read it down and a "13" when you read it across?
gig them
AG
jeffk said:

Is that a font?

Shut it down, folks. Thread's over.
Jason_Ag98
AG
That is an awful name.
Ronnie Mund
Better than using "United" or "Sporting" or "Real" that seems to be the trend (and makes zero sense) among MLS.
gig them
AG
Ronnie Mund said:

Better than using "United" or "Sporting" or "Real" that seems to be the trend (and makes zero sense) among MLS.

Not if you're going to call yourselves Austin Bold
Ronnie Mund
they're all dumb.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
PatAg
AG
Ronnie Mund said:

Kansas City actually does run multiple sports out of their org, so Sporting makes sense. United isn't a "trend" it's a very common name in English speaking areas.
Ronnie Mund
PatAg said:

Ronnie Mund said:

Kansas City actually does run multiple sports out of their org, so Sporting makes sense. United isn't a "trend" it's a very common name in English speaking areas.
Which clubs "United" to form Atlanta United or Minnesota United? They were expansion teams, it's a trend.
jeffk
AG
American clubs using "FC" is my biggest naming pet peeve.
tysker
AG
Bad name but at least the logo sucks
Jason_Ag98
AG
I honestly didn't know this was coming. I wonder how they'll be affected if the Crew relocate to Austin? If I can watch MLS at a relatively central location then I'm not very interested in driving all the way out to COTA to watch USL.

The stadium looks pretty bare bones:

https://instagr.am/p/BmB4YotAwfK
gig them
AG
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind that our MLS names sound European

Plus, the MLS currently has much bigger fish to fr- (immediately gets red carded despite VAR review)
AgGrad99
AG
Assuming the Crew finally makes it way to Austin, how will this survive? This seems like very odd timing.

Is there any tie-in to the Barcelona youth club team? They play at COTA (which is a huge drawback for families, and why they had a lot of turnover last year).

aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
The soccer field is already there, next to the amphitheater. They just need to add seats. Is that where the Barcelona academy does its thing?
AgGrad99
AG
Not sure, but I'd guess so.

Ferg
Yes, I read they are adding the stands around the existing field used by the academy. Makes sense as a low financial risk as they already own the land, and have the parking lot and field in place as well as other infrastructure.
TXAggie2011
AG
gig them said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind that our MLS names sound European

Plus, the MLS currently has much bigger fish to fr- (immediately gets red carded despite VAR review)

The use of European names is often a gimmick move and, to me and my experience, just reinforces the foreign gimmick-ness perception many have of these soccer ventures.

"SC", I'm cool with. "Sporting" or "United", fine, if it makes sense. I understand the motives. But the FC, etc. when it doesn't make much sense, meh.
Pahdz
Looks like a pop up stadium, these are pretty popular in USL, OKC is about to do one
ChipFTAC01
AG
I agree it's a silly bit (although "United" doesn't bother me nearly as much as Real Salt Lake) but which clubs United to form Man U? I understood that to just be a rebranding from Newton Heath.
monarch
S
The name sounds "Austin" like.

Dumb
Dre_00
In a way it was a rebrand. In 1902, Manchester United was the agreed to name after the owner of Newton Heath had to seek investment to bail out his club which was in debt. He got 4 people to invest but they insisted on directly running the club and wanted a new name. You can make the argument that they "United" to save the club but it wasn't multiple clubs coming together.

I think the biggest takeaway is that maybe in 116 years, we'll stop having conversations over the validity of soccer clubs names and just accept them. One can hope anyway.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

American clubs using "FC" is my biggest naming pet peeve.
Yea, I understand the reasoning behind it, but I'd prefer we just own soccer over football. If you are traveling in Europe, or a pro player speaking to a Euro reporter you can say football.

SC Dallas instead of FC Dallas...FC does look better

I'd like to see some teams go with the single name title, ala Arsenal.

What would you guys like to see instead of United, FC, Sporting, Real and the likes.

Surely its better than all the Mascot names we had to start MLS?
fig96
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

I honestly didn't know this was coming. I wonder how they'll be affected if the Crew relocate to Austin? If I can watch MLS at a relatively central location then I'm not very interested in driving all the way out to COTA to watch USL.

The stadium looks pretty bare bones:

https://instagr.am/p/BmB4YotAwfK
Yup, COTA is a nice venue but an absolute pain to get to. And in a town where anything more than 20 minutes away is "far" that makes a difference.
GrapevineAg
AG
"Austin Bold"

Jason_Ag98
AG
Quote:

What would you guys like to see instead of United, FC, Sporting, Real and the likes.
Austin Wanderers
AgGrad99
AG
I don't mind Bold....just not sure how it'll work if The Crew move to town.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.