Borussia Dortmund team bus bombed - 1 injured

3,693 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by byfLuger41
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
German football team Borussia Dortmund have said an explosion on their team bus has left one person injured.

It comes as the side were due to play Monaco this evening.
PJYoung
AG
Borussia Dortmund announce a bomb exploded on their team bus at their hotel before tonight's Champions League match against Monaco
PJYoung
AG
Sky say Bartra's injuries are superficial.

Dortmund confirm a "bomb explosion" as team bus left their hotel. Players safe, they say.
@Bild reporting Bartra injured. All very worrying
stillmerk
AG
The bomb was on the bus? I was thinking maybe it was outside beside it.
byfLuger41
AG
ISIS?
PJYoung
AG
stillmerk said:

The bomb was on the bus? I was thinking maybe it was outside beside it.

Yeah it was three blasts near the bus. The game was rescheduled for tomorrow.
who?mikejones
AG
One player hurt
Bryan98
AG
who?mikejones said:

One player hurt
Marc Bartra, the guy who recently met up with a middle-aged female Dortmund fan to give her his signed jersey. It was a really nice story. Apparently he just cut his hand on some broken glass.

Did anyone mention that the game will be played tomorrow at 11:45?

And I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, but this was Christian Pulisic's team. Presumably he was on the bus.
boogieman
AG
If they hurt Pulisic. we invade.
agdoc2001
AG
Suspicious package also found at their hotel after the explosion
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mathguy64
AG
Being reported that Bartra is in surgery and he might have a broken wrist in addition to the glass.
ja86
AG
that sucks. didn't know the french were such hooligans.
deadbq03
AG
Isn't there a decent amount of organized crime in Monaco?

There's certainly a lot of gambling...
Bryan98
AG
They're saying a note was found taking responsibility. No word on the contents yet.

Can Bartra possibly play with that broken radial?
wangus12
AG
France hasn't exactly been the best place to be when it comes to terrorist activities. Hell they've tried to bomb a National team game back in 2015
byfLuger41
AG
Quote:

BREAKING NEWS: 'Islamist' suspect is arrested over Borussia Dortmund coach bombing in Germany after police find letter by bomber praising Christmas market truck attack
  • Police say two suspected Islamic extremists are the focus of their investigation, and one has been arrested

byfLuger41
AG
This radical Islam sh*t has to stop.
JJxvi
AG
This happened in Dortmund, not Monaco
deadbq03
AG
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/police-investigating-directions-dortmund-blasts-46743410
Quote:

German news media reports citing unnamed sources said a note found at the scene contained radical Islamic rhetoric but that police were unsure whether that was genuine or an attempt to throw them off the track. Federal prosecutors took over the investigation; they typically handle especially serious cases, including those in which a terrorist motive is suspected.
Quote:

Investigators were also probing statements found on the web that indicated a left-wing motive to punish the club for allegedly not opposing racism strongly enough, the dpa news agency reported.
Honestly the latter makes more sense to me... terrorists are pretty good at actually killing people. This seemed like more of an action of not wanting to really hurt anyone but wanting to screw with the team, which is why I initially suggested organized crime related to gambling, but this motive would make sense too.
deadbq03
AG
JJxvi said:

This happened in Dortmund, not Monaco
And also... Monaco is Monaco, not France.
/themoreyouknow.gif
JJxvi
AG
They managed to fire a **** ton of shrapnel from at least one of three devices into an armored bus and shattered armored glass. It sounded to me like if the bus wasnt quite so nice someone would have died and many players would have been maimed
deadbq03
AG
Ahh. Wow. Did not know the busses were armored. I guess harm was certainly intended. I still question Islamist motives for this... but I guess regardless of perpetrator it's hard for any sane person to try to make sense of this sort of thing.
Mathguy64
AG
JJxvi said:

They managed to fire a **** ton of shrapnel from at least one of three devices into an armored bus and shattered armored glass. It sounded to me like if the bus wasnt quite so nice someone would have died and many players would have been maimed
Someone with close knowledge yesterday said just that. If the bus was not armored, people would have died.

In the end, the world is full of crazy people. Crazy for many reasons, but none the less crazy.
agdoc2001
AG
Arrests made.....................and it's Islam.

http://www.espnfc.com/uefa-champions-league/story/3102024/police-detain-suspect-in-borussia-dortmund-team-bus-blast-case
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bryan98
AG
deadbq03 said:

Ahh. Wow. Did not know the busses were armored. I guess harm was certainly intended. I still question Islamist motives for this... but I guess regardless of perpetrator it's hard for any sane person to try to make sense of this sort of thing.

Have you not been paying attention to the rash of attacks on civilians in Europe lately? I think their motives are quite clear at this point.

As far as whether this or any other attack fits a particular M.O., ISIS is encouraging their followers to stage lone wolf attacks everywhere and any way they can. They aren't all going to fit a particular profile. This is actually one of the more sophisticated attacks of late.
deadbq03
AG
I should have been more clear - it seems odd that they'd specifically target a soccer team. If the bombing were at the stadium or hotel itself, it'd make a whole lot more sense.

I agree there's no way to predict how terrorists will attack, but they almost always seek out crowds. This was a pretty focused effort against the team itself, and almost in an effort to avoid collateral damage. The leftist theory makes more sense to me, but I'll concede that terrorism by anyone doesn't have to make sense.
AGC
AG
deadbq03 said:

I should have been more clear - it seems odd that they'd specifically target a soccer team. If the bombing were at the stadium or hotel itself, it'd make a whole lot more sense.

I agree there's no way to predict how terrorists will attack, but they almost always seek out crowds. This was a pretty focused effort against the team itself, and almost in an effort to avoid collateral damage. The leftist theory makes more sense to me, but I'll concede that terrorism by anyone doesn't have to make sense.

I think bombing a soccer team makes a pretty big statement personally.
byfLuger41
AG
deadbq03 said:

I think the goal (no pun) is to draw as much attention as possible for their cause.

Bomb a stadium? Kill a few civilians = meh. This seems to have lost its luster.

Bomb a first team bus? Kill an entire first team club = bingo. Had this plot been more successful, **** would be going down.

It's only a matter of time before these radicals do something that transcends 9/11. Only then, unfortunately, will the civilized nations confront these animals with the blunt force they deserve.
57 STATES!
"Prosecutors said the German citizen, born in Russia, was a cold-blooded person, acting out of greed to profit from a drop in the share price of the only German football club listed on the stock market."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/borussia-dortmund/story/3341095/borussia-dortmund-bus-attack-man-pleads-guilty-on-second-day-of-trial?ex_cid=fw_affid267
Pro Sandy
TXAggie2011
AG
Lots of morons in this thread going to be disappointed the connections to Islam were a "false trail."
AggieWonWon
TXAggie2011 said:

Lots of morons in this thread going to be disappointed the connections to Islam were a "false trail."

Right we are idiots to think it was Muslims when the majority of attacks in Europe involve Muslims good call buddy .
TXAggie2011
AG
The large majority of terrorist incidents and arrests in Europe are tied to separatist movements, not Islam. But that aside...

Thinking it could be Islamist is different then saying its Islamist and/or making broad, sweeping comments about Islam. The poster who misread that ESPN article will now understand the difference.

But that wasn't actually the point, if you read closely. I just said folks will be disappointed it wasn't Islam.
PatAg
AG
Go to the politics board, this is for soccer talk.
byfLuger41
AG
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.