More Antique timbers

7 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jeremy
jeremy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought some more antique timbers because....I can't help myself! These beams are very old and historic. We counted 200 growth rings in one beam the other day and I know it came from a barn over 150 years old. Long math short, the tree was about 100 years old when the constitution was signed.
The guy that sold them to me knows I have a weakness!!

So most of these beams are 8"x 8" roughly but I have some 5x8, 6x8, 10x10 and some various other sizes. Most of the beams are hemlock from the Pennsylvania area or Canada but I also have some oak. All coming from Mortise-and-tenon joined barns.

Prices vary, but I'm basically asking about $40 per linear foot unfinished (+/- depending on beam size). And about $60-$90 per linear foot for me to finish them (which takes a lot more work than I would have originally guessed.)

I've seen beams like this used for gazebos and pergolas, architectural accents, etc. Pictures below are of my style of beams and what they look like being used on projects.

I'm in College Station, but can get bulk orders delivered to most places about 4-5 hours or less from here.

Email: jcs3419 at hotmail dot com

SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Real nice wood.

For mantle pieces that's a great price
AG
Thanks!
jeremy
AG
Bump!
jeremy
AG
Nm
jeremy
AG
Back to the top
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm currently working on our barns now, most of which look a lot like those. Most of ours are cypress and long leaf pine...hand hewn...154 years old. Beautiful. Seeing old school Contruction techniques and craftsmanship really puts things in perspective. Iwe have many of the actual tools used to craft them. Draw shaves, two person saws, etc.

Free bump because that's cool stuff.
texagvet95
Do you have a piece that would suffice for a fireplace mantle?
jeremy
AG
That's what I do. I'll cut them to length and finish however you like the color: natural, light brown, medium brown, or dark brown.
aggie appraiser
How long will they last exposed to weather?
jeremy
AG
If you borare them (insect and mold/mildew treatment) I would guess multiple years. But any timber really needs to stay dry.
allMondjoy
Jeremy did a fireplace mantel for me and I could not be happier!
Aggiedad
Ulrich
Do you have any short pieces, ends that have been cut off, things like that? I have a few projects in the hopper but nothing that needs a whole beam.
jeremy
AG
Sure do. Holler some time and I can scrounge some up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.