Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M not a coaching destination

8,839 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by TopoTacos
SeaBrisket
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
People keep saying we're not a coaching destination because we don't win. And we don't win because we're not a coaching destination.

That's the equivalent of I can't get a job because I have no experience and I have no experience because I can't get a job.

Well, I guess we're stuck in mediocrity forever. At least we have Layne's Chicken Fingers.
Slyfox07
AG
A&M is an A+ tier coaching destination.

It is equipped in every way imaginable to be an immediate contender in year 1 with the right staff in place.

Turn-key operation unlike just about anywhere else (That isn't already winning)
Slyfox07
AG
Yet here we areā€¦staring down the barrel of 6 - 6 in year 6 (the mark of the beast)

Because our ridiculous O-Line can't keep a QB healthy for even 3 games. Much less a whole season
Only Fans Director
Slyfox07 said:

It is equipped in every way imaginable to be an immediate contender in year 1 with the right staff in place.

Apparently you have never played organized sports.
Proud father of an Aggie undergrad!
The Agly Duckling
Matt Rhule had 2 coaching destination jobs he wanted and made that clear to people nationally: Penn St. and Texas A&M.

Those two were unavailable which is part of why he took the Nebraska job this past off-season.

To Matt Rhule, we are a destination job. I think most people agree who are in the national media covering College Football.
amercer
AG
We are a 7-5 program.

The mistake is always thinking we are just one thing away from being one of the big boys. That's why we hand out bad contracts and hang on to losing coaches too long. If a coach isn't winning big in years 2,3,4 here then he's never going to.

We need to keep trying to find our Bob Stoops or Dabo or Urban and move on when it's obvious that they aren't.
northeastag
AG
I agree with you. It's difficult to say it's just "one thing" that keeps us from getting over the hump.

Unless, however, you want to say that the one thing is a winning culture. The fact that a school of A&M's size and wealth hasn't really been close to a championship in any of the major men's sports in my nearly 45 years of being an Aggie, despite huge money spent and multiple coaching changes, tells me that losing is mostly cultural.

The school obviously has no idea on how to change that. Money-whipping new coaches doesn't seem to work, so why do it again?
Sq 17
Slyfox07 said:

OP was wrong and you are close but not quite right either

A&M should be a top tier destination but we aren't there yet
I think NIL moves us from a top15 job to a top 8 job It is possible other schools get NIL organized and it becomes less of an advantage

If we start winning championships we are in the discussion for being top 5 job because Meatchicken Clemson ND and Oregon are becoming less desirable. Moving to the B1G is not going to go well for the ducks ( jmho)
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
A&M is a destination where your coaching career comes to an end.

outside of stallings every coach in the last 60 years has been fired and never heard from again.

but we have to keep swinging one of these days we will get it right and it will be glorious.
Scotts Tot
AG
In the new order of college football, $$$ is all that matters. So yes, we're a destination.
Pet Sounds
AG
Combined with our tendency to give golden parachutes to head coaches, it's no question.
AustinAg2K
We are probably the #1 destination. What other school in the nation will give you $100 million and you don't have to do jack?
Angry Beaver
AG
Slyfox07 said:

And if it doesn't work you, you still get a ****load of cash money. What coach doesn't want that?!?
ac
A&M is a death bed for coaches. It's gotten to the point where you have to wonder if any up & coming coach would want to coach there as they're very likely to end up seeing their coaching career go down the drain.
ac
Agsttt
SeaBrisket said:

People keep saying we're not a coaching destination because we don't win. And we don't win because we're not a coaching destination.

That's the equivalent of I can't get a job because I have no experience and I have no experience because I can't get a job.

Well, I guess we're stuck in mediocrity forever. At least we have Layne's Chicken Fingers.

It absolutely is a top-notch coaching destination. That's not even remotely debatable.
Agsttt
ac said:

A&M is a death bed for coaches. It's gotten to the point where you have to wonder if any up & coming coach would want to coach there as they're very likely to end up seeing their coaching career go down the drain.

Gibberish. Just Google it and you'll see A&M is near the top of any head football coaching list. I can't believe someone actually added to OP's nonsense.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Given what we will pay a coach, and the prime recruiting location, and the facilities, and the fan support, yeah, it is a destination.
#FJB
Pumpkinhead
AG
SeaBrisket said:

We have 'stolen' coaches from Bama and Florida State. Why? Because We are one of 2 huge flagship schools in the second largest state in the U.S.A. In prime recruiting territory, in the best conference with a rabid fanbase, and we pay a ton of $$$.

Yes, we are a Tier 1 destination job, even though no one has won a natty here yet.
Post removed:
by user
NoHo Hank
AG
Completely disagree with this thread. We're absolutely a destination location because we have money and facilities and the ability to pack a 100k person stadium. Suggesting that program culture holds us back is incorrect. Culture is defined by the coach, not the school. The fact that we haven't had a championship in football is simple: it's really, really hard to find that coach. Look at every championship coach in the past 3 decades and you'll find someone who:

1. Can recruit elite level players consistently, leading to a team with a good combination of disciplined, bought in seniors/juniors and supremely talented freshman.
2. Has the ability to consistently identify and attract strong coordinators and position coaches that work within the overall system, and
3. Throughout the season has a decent amount of luck staying injury free.

There's nothing about A&M that precludes us from having that coach. Honestly, Jimbo is pretty close. Unfortunately, he failed at #2. Shore up our oline and our dbs this year (get them to average) and we're 7-1 or 8-0 and in the top 5. However, Addazio sucks terribly and has every single year he's been here, and yet we haven't moved on. That failing defines his tenure here. And as a result, Jimbo ain't the guy.

You could argue that what holds us back is our inability to identify the right coach, but I don't buy that. Yes, we totally blew it with our extension of Jimbo's contract, but that's not proof we can't find the right coach. There's just not many right guys at any given time, and in the year you need to hire them, that coach might not be available. However, world class facilities and willingness to pay top dollar are far more than this "school culture," which some of you think is the root cause.

Keep trying to hire what seems to be the best available coach in the market - Jimbo, Schlossnagle, Williams, and eventually you'll hire the right guy. It's just success requires being in top 1% and the advantages we do have are shared by a number of other top programs.
Just Tired
SeaBrisket said:

A&M not a coaching destination

unfortunately we are a final destination... a "nothing left to prove", prop your feet up and cash checks destination.
ac
A&M head coaches over the last 50 years:

Bellard & Wilson finished their coaching careers in the high school ranks.
Sherrill finished his in relative obscurity at Mississippi State.
RC never coached again.
Fran failed at Texas State.
Sherman seems to have disappeared into oblivion.
Sumlin failed at Arizona.

Clearly, coaching at A&M is not an asset for your career. Yes, the school has the resources & potential, no question. But there is this dangerous trend that has lasted for half a century now. Can anyone explain it?

ac
Leander - Ag
AG
Wrong
Bubblez

The coaches that get hired just all suck...
HDeathstar
We are the TOP destination job on EVERY Coaches Agent's List!
NowhereMan
You have not traveled to games or seen what other schools offer, to come to your conclusion.

The only place I have seen better regarding stadium and facility belongs to the Dallas Cowboys and it is not by much.

Tuscaloosa been there and its a dump, bleachers for the highest price seats in the stadium, same thing at dumpy Clemson. The towns and surroundings make College Station look like paradise.

Been to the Longhorn Club across from the stadium in Austin, it is as old a caddy shack men's grill, stadium is as old as dirt and the environmentalist nazi's in Austin don't want more stuff. Carneys is a nicer venue.

Any time I have taken anyone to an Aggie game, they are always in shock as to what Kyle Field is.

barbacoa taco
AG
Yes it is. A&M is a mediocre program but it is absolutely a top tier coaching destination. We have every resource you could possibly want and are in a strong, stable conference.

If we do the right thing and get rid of Jimbo we will have no problem making our next hire, provided it's not someone from a higher tier destination.
TAMUallen
AG
Yes, it is.

What do we not have?!

We have money, recruits, the best facilities, a college town and anything a coach could ask for... we're missing a coach
Carmine Scarpacio
Slyfox07 said:

A&M is surrounded by three unquestionably better programs. Texas, OU, and LSU.
TAMUallen
AG
Carmine Scarpacio said:

Slyfox07 said:

A&M is surrounded by three unquestionably better programs. Texas, OU, and LSU.

tu has blown. ou blows. Lsu has a fake accent yankee
MaroonStain
AG
sips and their socks are having a feeding frenzy in The Zoo. Barbarians are truly at the gates.
sharpdressedman
Slyfox07 said:

Plus, lengthy, guaranteed contracts assure generational wealth, win or lose.
AgLA06
AG
HDeathstar said:

We are the TOP destination job on EVERY Coaches Agent's List!
We're a delusional fan base. If that was the case, we wouldn't get played for raises as often as we do.

As much as we like to say we have a great fanbase when times are good, it's just as fickle at any diversity. We play the toughest conference and division. We have unhealthy expectations and leaders / boosters who still want it to be decades ago with say in how things are done.
JW
AG
It's a destination, but you have to choose the right coaches and know when to walk away when you don't. We hang on far too long to failures, that is the main cultural problem.
CrottyKid
AG
The problem is that Texas A&M IS a destination.
You're better off catching success if the people in your organization don't believe they've arrived at their destination. Texas A&M football would have a better chance of winning a championship with a coach who wants to be so successful that he has to move on to something better. A winning program is full of people who either A) work tirelessly to improve and move on to a more prestigious situation, or B) work tirelessly to improve their situation into a more prestigious one. IN either case, THE DESTINATION is not where you want to be.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.