Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ags Vs the Media

4,186 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Iraq2xVeteran
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Scoff all you want, but one of our biggest challenges in the world of CFB has been navigating the media landscape. As we have all seen, we are among the most hated programs in the game, which translates to certain disadvantages when it comes to leverage off the field.

Many of y'all's favorite team has always had every bit of leverage they could muster with the help of media and politics. Sip has always managed to pull strings behind the curtains to help them gain the upper hand. And we are seeing this again as they make their way into our league.

From recruiting bumps, to favorable coverage, to back door dealings, and a slew of other "minor" advantages that add up to bargaining chips and clout, sip and other blue bloods have always managed to get away with everything with the help and backing of the media.

We may have finally made a major step in the right direction to be able to put up more of a fight off of the field. That's right, we are starting our own Journalism program.

Throw your hands in the air and sneer all you want, but this is a bigger deal than it sounds. Jackie Sherrill was right when he listed media support as one of the few things needed in order to win a national championship.

It's fine that everyone hates us, I prefer it that way. But now it's our turn to fight the good fight back.

https://today.tamu.edu/2023/06/13/aggie-with-distinguished-career-selected-to-lead-texas-am-journalism-program/
Only Fans Director
Just win games and the media will be behind you.

A&M has won 10+ games twice since 1998.

Have the media hate you because you are winning.

Proud father of an Aggie undergrad!
HoustonAg2021
We aren't hated by the media. If anything, the media prop us up a lot because we SHOULD be good most of the time with all we have going for us but we disappoint year after year after year. How many times recently have we been high in preseason rankings only to finish unranked. The smart thing to do is to disrespect us because we prove it right in the end 90% of the time. You get respect by meeting or exceeding expectations. We are extremely bad at doing that.
HoustonAg2021
Regarding your Jackie point... I would love to see a serious argument about what it is that we don't have to win it all presently. Everything is there.
Only Fans Director
Bill Superman said:

We may have finally made a major step in the right direction to be able to put up more of a fight off of the field. That's right, we are starting our own Journalism program.

I am just not seeing how a undergraduate journalism school is going to provide an impact on college football.

Do you have another example where 18-21 year old journalism students are significantly contributing to the media success of a particular D1 school?
Bill Superman
AG
Nattie said:

Once we win games I couldn't care less about the media.

But I have to say, coming from an Astros fan, winning will likely not get the media behind us. But there is nothing I would want more than to have them hate us even more for winning.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

I am just not seeing how a undergraduate journalism school is going to provide an impact on college football.

Do you have another example where 18-21 year old journalism students are significantly contributing to the media success of a particular D1 school?
Ummm, they graduate and go to work in the field of journalism where they can control the narrative.

Ever heard of the BOMC????
Bill Superman
AG
Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

A sip wouldn't understand. It's not that hard to catch up though.. We don't have hardly any Ags in the media or in sports journalism because we haven't had a program at our university all this time. Sip, on the other hand, does, and that's why you see nothing but positive reports about them always.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

It's not about when they are in school. It's about pumping out grads that go on to work in the media.
Only Fans Director
Emilio Fantastico said:

Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

Ummm, they graduate and go to work in the field of journalism where they can control the narrative.

Had to look it up. So what has the BOMC done to control the narrative and enable UT to succeed?

They have not won anything of significance since 2005. Many losing seasons.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Nattie said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

Had to look it up. So what has the BOMC done to control the narrative and enable UT to succeed?

I feel like the constant hype and positivity from State media in regard to Texas is one thing that has helped keep their recruiting from completely falling into the abyss over the last decade. The national media is a little harder on them. A&M needs to get more people into State media.
Only Fans Director
Bill Superman said:

Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

A sip wouldn't understand. It's not that hard to catch up though.. We don't have hardly any Ags in the media or in sports journalism because we haven't had a program at our university all this time. Sip, on the other hand, does, and that's why you see nothing but positive reports about them always.
You say..."Sip, on the other hand, does, and that's why you see nothing but positive reports about them always."

Did quick Google search of the BOMC, or efforts of UT controlling the narrative, for their advantage.

They must be doing a very bad job as below are 5 article that put them in a bad light.

Texas Longhorns Football: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1341011-texas-football-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly

At the University of Texas, The Big T Now Stands for Terrible
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/511124-at-the-university-of-texas-the-big-t-now-stands-for-terrible

Negative Thoughts" and the Texas Longhorns' Latest ...
https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/longhorns-football-negative-thoughts/

List of Worst Fan Bases: Embrace the Hate, Longhorns Fans
https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/longhorns-worst-fan-bases-list-football-sec-steve-sarkisian-transfer-portal

Five reasons Texas could fall below expectations in 2022
https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-longhorns-2022-season-expectations-weaknesses-quinn-ewers/

Looking to control the narrative does nothing in today's market where there are hundreds of new outlets and social media entities.

Bill Superman
AG
You cherry picked articles that only prove my point. You had to go all the way back to 2010 to find anything remotely negative about them, and even then it was a push for sip to hire a new HC. Other "negative" articles were also in relation to how the fans actually feel about sip and with a positive spin to embrace the hate.

Now do the same for us…
Only Fans Director
Bill Superman said:

You cherry picked articles that only prove my point. You had to go all the way back to 2010 to find anything remotely negative about them, and even then it was a push for sip to hire a new HC. Other "negative" articles were also in relation to how the fans actually feel about sip and with a positive spin to embrace the hate.

Now do the same for us…
No I just randomly picked ones. There are a ton more.

So A&M has a had a journalism department for some time now.

The person they just hired to revive it has no direct involvement in sports journalism.

Bill Superman
AG
Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

Now do the same for us…

The person they just hired to revive it has no direct involvement in sports journalism.

Wrong again. A&M dropped the Journalism department in 2004, and it is just now coming back with larger commitment and offered as a Major.

Do you think that sports journalism didn't fall under the realm of Journalism? Lastly, shouldn't you be spending your time on orangebloods?
Only Fans Director
Bill Superman said:

Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

Now do the same for us…

Wrong again. A&M dropped the Journalism department in 2004, and it is just now coming back with larger commitment and offered as a Major.

Do you think that sports journalism didn't fall under the realm of Journalism? Lastly, shouldn't you be spending your time on orangebloods?
Never been to Orangebloods.

I just think this whole control the media narrative is absurd. That is will change the tide for A&M?

Texas sucks because of coaching. Not because they do or don't control the media.

Recruiting is important, but without development there will be no champions.
Bill Superman
AG
Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

Now do the same for us…

Never been to Orangebloods.

I just think this whole control the media narrative is absurd. That is will change the tide for A&M?

Texas sucks because of coaching. Not because they do or don't control the media.

Recruiting is important, but without development there will be no champions.
Doesn't really matter what you think when the media thought it for you.

You should really try orangebloods, it is right up your alley.
rootube
AG
I think the media is indifferent to A&M which is worse than hate. The last time we were a threat to win a title was in the 90's and we failed miserably. Since then, the best we could manage was beating a top team and ruining their chances at a title which we have done on a few occasions.

The only other nationality notable things we have done since then are joining the SEC, building lavish facilities, splashy coaching hires, and success recruiting. Other than that what else has there been to say about us?
greg.w.h
AG
Bill Superman said:

Scoff all you want, but one of our biggest challenges in the world of CFB has been navigating the media landscape. As we have all seen, we are among the most hated programs in the game, which translates to certain disadvantages when it comes to leverage off the field.

Many of y'all's favorite team has always had every bit of leverage they could muster with the help of media and politics. Sip has always managed to pull strings behind the curtains to help them gain the upper hand. And we are seeing this again as they make their way into our league.

From recruiting bumps, to favorable coverage, to back door dealings, and a slew of other "minor" advantages that add up to bargaining chips and clout, sip and other blue bloods have always managed to get away with everything with the help and backing of the media.

Throw your hands in the air and sneer all you want, but this is a bigger deal than it sounds. Jackie Sherrill was right when he listed media support as one of the few things needed in order to win a national championship.

It's fine that everyone hates us, I prefer it that way. But now it's our turn to fight the good fight back.

https://today.tamu.edu/2023/06/13/aggie-with-distinguished-career-selected-to-lead-texas-am-journalism-program/

https://www.poynter.org/commentary/2023/black-pulitzer-prize-winners-cover-race-experience/

https://isoj.org/speakers-2023/kathleen-mcelroy/
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Nattie said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

Track several national champs!
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Aggie1188
Nattie said:

yeah, we only went 9-1 in 2020. Altho I remember the media being pretty complimentary all year long at the time.
dixichkn
AG
My take, for anybody that cares……the tsip love/hype parade from the media has always been there. I started really paying attention in HS in the early 80s and since then, it's always been that way. No matter how often they fall flat, the media has been there to prop them up every offseason. That's been a constant.
The thing with us has been much more recent. IMO started when us and Mizzou bolted the conference and "broke up the B12" which is laughable bc everybody knows who REALLY tore the conference apart. Johnny escalated things shortly thereafter. He was a media darling until he decided it was more fun being a Kardashian than a Manziel and that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. As we kept piling up preseason buildups and in-season collapses it just started to become a running joke. Jimbo's $75M guaranteed was just the coup de grace. Sorry for being rich I guess.
rootube
AG
The media doesn't favor the horns! It's totally normal for an SI publication to feature weight lifting habits of the loser of the Alamo bowl.

Ewers Likes to Lift Weights
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The media bias was much more obvious back in the day of newspapers. Every major city newspaper in Texas had sportswriters who fluffed the sips incessantly and ran down the Ags and anyone else the rest of the time.

The sip reporters were responsible for everyone but Rice in the old SWC because they couldn't stand the fact that the other schools upped their cheating game and started beating their precocious sips.

Now with the internet, any rando with a website or a podcast can be a journalist' and spew whatever drivel they want so it's not as obvious.
Bill Superman
AG
rootube said:

I think the media is indifferent to A&M which is worse than hate. The last time we were a threat to win a title was in the 90's and we failed miserably. Since then, the best we could manage was beating a top team and ruining their chances at a title which we have done on a few occasions.

The only other nationality notable things we have done since then are joining the SEC, building lavish facilities, splashy coaching hires, and success recruiting. Other than that what else has there been to say about us?
The last time we were a threat to win the title in the 90's we were swiftly sanctioned and prevented from doing so. We were then canceled from television/media for a while after.

So what does the media have to say about us other than the notable things that you mentioned you ask? How about "stay in your lane."

Our best chance at a natty is to catch everyone off guard.
Bill Superman
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

Nattie said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

Nattie said:

Bill Superman said:

I feel like the constant hype and positivity from State media in regard to Texas is one thing that has helped keep their recruiting from completely falling into the abyss over the last decade. The national media is a little harder on them. A&M needs to get more people into State media.
Hubert gets it. I do think that the sip media love affair is actually catching up to them finally though considering everyone is catching on to the absurdity of it all and the fact that they can't ever live up to the media's hype. Not to mention how bent of out shape sip gets when people make fun of them.
QB1
AG
The link, you for or against the hire? Weird to drop a link and not comment.

Just win baby, when we lose to ap state we deserve all the medias has and then some.

Let's goooo
Aggie Apotheosis
Nattie said:

Agreed. Just win, baby. The media doesn't hate A&M, they're just tired of predicting great things for the Aggies only to see the season implode nearly every #@$#*$* time --- and SO AM I. We defy the law of averages and every other law that says that somehow, somewhere, even a blind pig MUST find an acorn.

I'm just tired of it. BAS? I've lived with it for four decades! Even in Jackie's heyday we weren't all that. Is it too much to ask for one freakin' championship in my life? Hell I even watched Arkie win a basketball championship in the 90s.
Quail
Bill Superman!! I love your posts but man, you need some therapy!!! But, I think we all do!
ColoAg95
AG
We blather on about how good we are, and then we just keep sucking. Classic Bantam rooster. All bark, no bite. It's exhausting. Put up or shut up. For my entire adult life. I'm 5 months away from another Fran era, where I stopped watching for my own sanity.

If I was a billionaire, I'd give Jimbo two inexplicable 2023 loses and then pay him to leave. Jimbo ignoring the OL will not get us very far. What winning team has ever NOT had an elite line? And if he doesn't give Petrino full reins on offense, then we will tank for sure.

Guaranteed contracts almost never work out. Will we ever earn the lesson? Probably not, because we are too desperate.
Bill Superman
AG
Quail said:

Bill Superman!! I love your posts but man, you need some therapy!!! But, I think we all do!
It's really not that big of a deal in reality. It's just a fact that needs to be pointed out for those that follow the media.

It's honestly no different from the rest of the media coverage of everyday topics in the real world so should be of no surprise to anyone who can think for themselves, which I'm well aware that most people can't, particularly sip and the like.

Calling some bs out for what it is and pushing back does not mean that you have to be emotionally attached to it.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Literally every fanbase will claim "the media hates us"

It's tiring
OSOB
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
We started 2021 and 2022 No. 6 but finished 8-4 and 5-7 respectively. After we lost Appalachian State at home in Week 2, we rightfully received negative attention from the media. We just need to win every game we are favored to win and steal an upset win or two to get the media behind us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.