Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Random thought/question about the future of NIL in college football

1,495 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TyperWoods
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
O/U on the number of years before the NCAA football players unionize and try to collectively bargain for things such as a minimum NIL payments, a cap of number on time requirements for the NIL, etc?

I'm not trying to make any kind of statement. I'm just looking down the road.

Or could they even unionize without the non-revenue athletes being lumped in? I have no idea.

This is something that fascinates me about NIL; the unintended consequences. I think it's inevitable that we will hear something from female athletes about "NIL inequities," for example.
nu awlins ag
AG
I can see a time where these guys won't even be attending classes. They'll be a system where you can have, 20-25, just do football year round while the others go to class. This is slowly or quickly, depending on your angle, turning into a minor league system.
Bunk Moreland
nu awlins ag said:

I can see a time where these guys won't even be attending classes.

You can see back to the 1970s - today?
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

O/U on the number of years before the NCAA football players unionize and try to collectively bargain for things such as a minimum NIL payments, a cap of number on time requirements for the NIL, etc?
They will never unionize for minimum NIL payments. That theory doesn't make any sense given the nature of what an NIL agreement is.
nu awlins ag
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

nu awlins ag said:

I can see a time where these guys won't even be attending classes.

You can see back to the 1970s - today?

Yes…yes I can. But this will be "legal" to do.

greg.w.h
AG
Goresuch in his Alston v. NCAA opinion recommended collective bargaining to avoid further unfavorable court rulings especially since his opinion was 9-0 and while narrow in the decision noted the problem of anti-trust in the NCAA is broad.

I think there will be an effort to come up with a way to negotiate but not in NIL.
dabo man
AG
My mom went to LSU during the 1962 and 63 seasons. She was offered a job to sit in a football player's seat every day until attendance was taken. Mom was a very straight arrow, so deal for her.
TyperWoods
Conferences will get involved in NIL deals in 2-5 years.
nu awlins ag
AG
dabo man said:

My mom went to LSU during the 1962 and 63 seasons. She was offered a job to sit in a football player's seat every day until attendance was taken. Mom was a very straight arrow, so deal for her.

Never said that stuff didn't happen, but today with NIL etc. you can forget about that stuff going forward. I had Mark Wheeler in my computer class and he would fill out his name on a test and that was it. Passed the class….
jrgypsum
The bigger picture is not necessarily NIL - but a percentage of media revenues. This is why they will seek collective bargaining IMHO.
12thMan9
AG
jrgypsum said:

The bigger picture is not necessarily NIL - but a percentage of media revenues. This is why they will seek collective bargaining IMHO.

And they will lose.
Ronnie '88
kbarj
AG

"This is something that fascinates me about NIL; the unintended consequences. I think it's inevitable that we will hear something from female athletes about "NIL inequities," for example."

I believe this has already happened...

https://www.sbnation.com/ad/23009992/college-athlete-pay-gap-nil
Bill '77
Bunk Moreland
kbarj said:

"This is something that fascinates me about NIL; the unintended consequences. I think it's inevitable that we will hear something from female athletes about "NIL inequities," for example."

I believe this has already happened...

https://www.sbnation.com/ad/23009992/college-athlete-pay-gap-nil

a handful female athletes are the biggest benefactors of NIL to date.

Rule 1:

TeeShirt Sip
Like everything in college football, it will eventually change. As always, they will evolve the system/process to follow the money!
greg.w.h
AG
TyperWoods said:

No they won't. Players will always be able to do NIL deals. They might dry up boosters deals by paying students likely under a collective bargaining agreement, but as long as generational talents can turn games those students will get NIL deals.
greg.w.h
AG
12thMan9 said:

jrgypsum said:

And they will lose.
Goresuch suggested only with collective bargaining will the NCAA not lose…
dabo man
AG
I'm waiting for the first big time football player to make millions in NIL $$$ in college and then retire without ever playing in the NFL.
TyperWoods
greg.w.h said:

TyperWoods said:

No they won't. Players will always be able to do NIL deals. They might dry up boosters deals by paying students likely under a collective bargaining agreement, but as long as generational talents can turn games those students will get NIL deals.

You misunderstand me...

Conferences will broker NIL deals for their star players.

From TV rights fees to penalties for rushing the field, when there's $$$ involved the conference is involved.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.