Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A team of 3 stars

5,294 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by gA_CMAB_FA
HJack20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A team of motivated 3 stars will beat a team of 4 and 5 stars who are entitled and act like premadonnas. NIL backfired on us, while teams like Tennessee are winning with a bunch of 3 stars. It's about coaching and motivation, not stars.
infinity ag
Al the 5* players got kicked out for smoking weed so we are good with our 3* players.

Natty, here we come.
jdls13
AG
Alabama makes it work with 5 stars idk
riverrataggie
AG
I'd caveat that with more senior players. Alabama makes it work bc they are never young and replace talent with RS sophomore and juniors. Not RS freshman and true freshman.
Bunk Moreland
Tennessee has 2 5 stars and about 30 4 stars on their roster
My Name Is Judge
3 star recruits will lose motivation dealing w dog**** coaching the same way some of our 5 star recruits have

Stop making excuses & giving Jimbo off ramps… The product on the field is 100% Jimbo's fault due to his piss poor coaching

Having said that, there's always gonna be bad apples that either get dealt with or pushed under the rug… Up to this point I've been proud of how Jimbo runs the program off the field & deals w behavior issues
KackAg87
AG
Exhibit A is TCU.
MrWonderful
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Get out of here with your facts and data! We have opinions man!
Oknows
AG
KackAg87 said:

Exhibit A is TCU.
TCU would get throttled by the upper half of the SEC.
KackAg87
AG
How do you think they would do against App State, Miss State and South Carolina?
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
KackAg87 said:

How do you think they would do against App State, Miss State and South Carolina?
Are you suggesting they'll be competitive should they win out and get a playoff spot? Or, are you just taking a shot at the Ags?
KackAg87
AG
gotsand said:

KackAg87 said:

Are you suggesting they'll be competitive should they win out and get a playoff spot? Or, are you just taking a shot at the Ags?

I'm not saying or doing either of those things. My first comment about TCU was in response to OP's comment about a team of motivated 3 stars. I just think TCU is a good example of that. My second comment was in response to Oknows saying TCU would get throttled by the upper half of the SEC. Lately, we have been getting throttled by the bottom half of the SEC. I am not pro TCU. I am pro Aggie. I just think TCU seems to have a pretty good team of lesser rated players who seem to be highly motivated.
Doc Hayworth
I wouldn't be so sure.
TMF
AG
Not if the coach has a well run program. We went from decent recruiting to Al of the sudden A list of 5 stars. Fisher not the team has the leadership in place to put the team before me attitude.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
HJack20 said:

A team of motivated 3 stars will beat a team of 4 and 5 stars who are entitled and act like premadonnas. NIL backfired on us, while teams like Tennessee are winning with a bunch of 3 stars. It's about coaching and motivation, not stars.

quarterback play theirs is up for the heisman

a great qb can cover lots of mistakes. we don't currently have a heisman qb playing for us. u put hooker on our team and i bet we have a few more wins.
PeekingDuck
AG
The only teams that might have a higher average star rating on offense than Tennessee are Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State. They are absolutely loaded. They are also almost entirely juniors and seniors. This 3 star narrative is false, as usual.
Cedarian Lamb Chops
Inspired 3 stars were enough for our 2000 Oklahoma team.
Lake08
Bunk Moreland said:

They have a coach that understands play calling
Bunk Moreland
QB: 24 year old Super Senior
RT: Senior
RG: Junior
C: Junior
LG: Senior
LT: Soph

That helps too.
PeekingDuck
AG
You might want to take another look at that roster, unless you're joking... specifically the defense.
NoahAg
HJack20 said:

An o-line composed of 4 or 5th year seniors who are grown men with several years of experience can be very helpful to the rest of the offense.

A team can have moderate success with a team of 2 or 3 stars if they run a gimmicky offense (perennial 7-8 win seasons; a rare 10 win season; never a conference or national title; See Mike Leach's entire career).
Let's go, Brandon!
Aggie1188
jdls13 said:

We would literally be undefeated with Weigman having started at QB all season. Even with Jimbo's pathetic schemes and playcalling.
StinkyPinky
AG
Aggie1188 said:

jdls13 said:

We would literally be undefeated with Weigman having started at QB all season. Even with Jimbo's pathetic schemes and playcalling.

Wait for it, he'll be here soon in glowing support.
HoustonAg2021
HJack20 said:

Teams of 3 stars with good coaching don't win championships. Look at leach, gundy, Baylor etc. You need good coaching AND elite talent
PascalsWager
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

QB: 24 year old Super Senior
RT: Senior
RG: Junior
C: Junior
LG: Senior
LT: Soph

That helps too.
Hendon Hooker is older than Justin Herbert. That he's playing is kind of a mockery of college football. Imagine Justin Herbert playing for us this year; we'd win the national title too. But whatever, that's the game we're playing now. Jimbo should be better in the portal. I will never believe in high school QB again. Let someone else do the development for you.
schmellba99
AG
HJack20 said:

No, they won't

Coaching and motivation has a hell of a lot to do with it - but do does athletic ability. I can have all the heart in the world, but even with that and a massive amount of coaching and motivation, I'm not beating a 5 star guy even if they aren't putting out 100%.
schmellba99
AG
Cedarian Lamb Chops said:

You mean the team that lost to Oklahoma?

Also lost to Colorado, tu and Notre Dame in the regular season. Finished it up with another loss to a ho-hum Miss State team in the Independence bowl.

Great example.
AgBandsman
AG
HJack20 said:

5 star prima donnas will never have buy-in or want to stick around when you idiots bash their head coach week in and week out. Who would want to play for someone that matches the description of what is posted here thousands of times a week?

Entitled 18 and 19 year olds isn't the problem. Expecting those entitled kids to be excited to play for Texas A&M even after they read you armchair quarterbacks bashing their coach is the problem.

Our biggest problem is we have the most entitled and whiney fanbase. and it's hurting our team. Firing our coach and moneywhipping another exciting coaching hire will not fix our problems.
AGinHI
AG
HJack20 said:

It's about coaching and motivation, not stars.
Not player ability?

If you look back at the SWC and Big 12, generally speaking, when we were winning and ranked Texas was not and vice versa.

That's all about recruiting and stars.

And both of our fanbases know it, which is a significant reason why, despite having not played on the field for over a decade, we maintain fierce rivalry.

Although NIL and the transfer portal have disrupted the traditional recruitment cycle.
Urban Country Boy
AG
AGinHI said:

HJack20 said:

It's about coaching and motivation, not stars.
Not player ability?

If you look back at the SWC...
Kevin Murray would have been a great NFL QB. Broken ankle stopped everything. Bad broken ankle.
PeekingDuck
AG
Cedarian Lamb Chops said:

Inspired "3-star" NFL players on the 2000 Oklahoma team, most of which who played during the championship year. The best Big Red Motors could buy.

Rocky Calmus
Josh Heupel
JT Thatcher
Torrance Marshall
Quentin Griffin
Andre Woolfolk
Nate Hybl
Jimmy Wilkerson
Brandon Moore
Teddy Lehman
Derrick Strait
Roy Williams
Trent Smith
Dan Cody
Josh Norman
Wes Sims
Antonio Perkins
Mark Clayton

Granted, Heupel doesn't really count but he obviously has a brain for football which might have helped as a college QB.
gA_CMAB_FA
Fire Fisher ASAP. Get any half-way decent coach on the cheap.

Aim to have the lowest paid coach and staff in the SEC for the next 25 years or so and be happy with whatever results with 2-3 star, non-NIL players and maybe, just maybe, stumble upon a great coach. No expectations of winning anything. Don't even try and compete with the big-boy programs anymore - it's futile. The SEC checks will still come in anyways. In 25 years or so the college game may not exist anymore anyways.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.