Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

GIVE JIMBO A RAISE

5,124 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by greg.w.h
BigSneezy
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Here me out. What if we paid bonuses for winning and paid his base less.

I dunno. Just thinking crazy I guess.

Maybe we don't lose to App State?

_mpaul
AG
We wouldn't have been able to hire him on those terms so . . . you're right, he wouldn't have lost to App St.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
mpaggie06
AG
I don't think you get to choose when and how to renegotiate his contract if he's already signed the current one…
SinKiller
This is usually about the time we extend, you know, when it absolutely makes no sense...
Ugly
AG
Extensions these days are more about outbidding the teams trying to steal your coach away and less about the coach's performance.
GigEmReggie
mpaggie06 said:

I don't think you get to choose when and how to renegotiate his contract if he's already signed the current one…
Not when the existing deal is fully guaranteed, anyway. We have no leverage.
BrotherChad2
mpaggie06 said:

Paul Chryst and Scott Frost both took reduced payouts when the school had zero leverage. It's remotely possible.
Craigy
We would be all better off if we didn't discuss Jimbo's contact for at least another 7 years. It would b better for our collective health. He ain't gonna nowhere
deadbq03
AG
Everyone says these won't work, but I'm convinced they would if AD's had free reign to make them highly lucrative. Massive incentives absolutely work in European soccer, and there's a dude right now who's tripling his base salary and making over a million bucks a week right now because he's scoring like crazy.

If I'm playing with other people's money:

Guaranteed $6MM base

$1MM per conference win
$3MM for winning SEC West
$5MM SEC Champ

Postseason bonuses (compounding):
$2MM Top 10 finish after bowl/playoff
$6MM Top 5 finish after bowl/playoff
$10MM #1 finish after playoff

So $40MM for an undefeated season. Other people's money, but I think they'd be fine with paying that for a title.
greg.w.h
AG
No coach gives up guaranteed money for even more unguaranteed. Which is why you pay them more and guarantee it to get them to change jobs…
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Make it simple... $1 million per win.

The "cupcakes" are your base.

I like it... but I know few coaches would take it.
cupofjoe04
AG
BigSneezy said:

Do you REALLY think we lost to AppSt because Jimbo isn't making enough? Like paying him more and suddenly he will figure things out or work harder?
agnerd
AG
Jimbo (and his agent) would be more than willing to renegotiate the contract, but they won't do it unless they can make more money. He currently makes about $1 million per win. He will happily take $0 guaranteed if you're willing to pay him $2 million / win. I'm sure if you offer to make up the extra $19 million in a year he wins a national championship, and the extra $9 million he'd make in an average year, all parties would probably be happy to renegotiate.
DuncanLEO
Sharp said the only hesitation he had about the ten year deal was that he wanted to guarantee Jimbo 15. Lets not let these people try and negotiate again any time soon.
hunter2012
AG
20ag07
Quote:

Jimbo (and his agent) would be more than willing to renegotiate the contract, but they won't do it unless they can make more money. He currently makes about $1 million per win. He will happily take $0 guaranteed if you're willing to pay him $2 million / win. I'm sure if you offer to make up the extra $19 million in a year he wins a national championship, and the extra $9 million he'd make in an average year, all parties would probably be happy to renegotiate.
No.

No one is walking away from guaranteed money.

Bc if he can win it, he'll get all that on the next deal.
greg.w.h
AG
agnerd said:

He won't take that deal. And you can't offer it.
Actual Talking Thermos
BrotherChad2 said:

mpaggie06 said:

Paul Chryst and Scott Frost both took reduced payouts when the school had zero leverage. It's remotely possible.
Usually they take reduced buyouts in exchange for getting it paid on a faster schedule allowing them to quickly wrap up their dealings with the school, any kind of remaining contractual obligations or restrictions, etc.
Seven Costanza
AG
Listening to the Ryen Russillo podcast recapping the Alabama game and he says something to the effect of "and there A&M was with a chance to score on the final play, and you're thinking 'if they score here, how big of a raise does A&M immediately give Jimbo right after the game?"
Paul Dirac
How about a $5 million bonus for beating App State?
S.A. Aggie
AG
If it takes bonuses to get him to win those games then we have the wrong guy at HC. A $70m salary should be enough.
greg.w.h
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

If it takes bonuses to get him to win those games then we have the wrong guy at HC. A $70m salary should be enough.
You think he makes $70m per annum?
firethewagonup
Here ye here ye?

BigSneezy said:

Gigem Aggies
Batman96
Thread should be banned on title alone
S.A. Aggie
AG
greg.w.h said:

S.A. Aggie said:

His 10 year contract.
greg.w.h
AG
S.A. Aggie said:

greg.w.h said:

S.A. Aggie said:

His 10 year contract.
You think his 10-year contract is for $70 million???
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.