Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

D.J. Durkin's Coaching History

6,243 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheGroupGuy
Colonel A. 1976
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Might want to read his coaching history...... I'll just leave this here and listen.
Col. A 1976
Robert L. Peters
He was hc at Maryland
crowman2010
AG
Colonel A. 1976 said:

I Might want to post less
FIFY
waltonloads11
AG
He is undefeated as an SEC Head Coach.
Modern_AMC_Ag
AG
Regardless of his handling of conditioning matters, why are we so focused on his coaching strategy. Yeah he caused Jimbo issues at Maryland and BC, but we do NOT PLAY DUKE, OR WAKE.

WHY DID WE NOT GO SEC ON DC HIRE IN THE OFFSEASON???

DM44
How teams did with DJ Durkin as HC and DC:

2013 DC Florida / 4-8
2014 DC Florida / 7-5
2015 DC Michigan / 10-3
2016 HC Maryland / 6-7
2017 HC Maryland / 4-8
2018 HC Maryland / 5-7
2019 Consultant in NFL
2020 Co-DC Ole Miss / 5-5
2021 Co-DC Ole Miss / 10-3

cupofjoe04
AG
Colonel A. 1976 said:

Might want to read his coaching history...... I'll just leave this here and listen.

But... you left nothing here.
tpk8775
AG
Why would we hire the Ole Miss DC…they are clearly an offensive minded team.

Maybe his bend don't break mentality forces mistakes when your team is up 21 because your offense is great… but it ain't working when you offense doesn't score until the second half.
fightintxaggie10
AG
Can't wait to see us line up with three DLs against bama.

It'll be a blood bath.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Crowman...thanks for the reply, I will take into consideration anything you post that is relevant, unfortunately at this point you have missed that baseline.
Col. A 1976
Robert L. Peters
Colonel A. 1976 said:

Crowman...thanks for the reply, I will take into consideration anything you post that is relevant, unfortunately at this point you have missed that baseline.

That's his schtick...he wants to be the first snarky comment on every thread
ned911
Durkin was suspended for half the 2018 season and fired for the final half. Matt Canada was the interim HC but only focused on the offense.

Andy Buh ran Durkin's D and some people are convinced Durkin was still making the defensive calls.
FTA Class of 1988
Divining Rod
Don't Worry! Be Happy!

Why does this song play in my head every time I see him???
sharpdressedman
He was not among JF's top picks for the job. JF took the best he thought he could get. Sometimes that approach does not produce the desired results. Same situation with Addazio. I anticipate they will be released at season's end, both for poor results and as an effort to keep top tier recruits from transferring.

As usual, next year could be our time. JMO
GigEmReggie
At least he hasn't killed anyone here yet.
Ag_EE_88
AG
GigEmReggie said:

At least he hasn't killed anyone here yet.
Maybe not but half of our DL is injured. Conincidence?
Bifferton Bobber Squat
AG
This has been discussed and there are thread topics from the offseason you are welcome to go read on the subject.

The problem is not his history so much as it is that we were told the 3-4 he runs was out of necessity at Ole Miss because of their personnel. Now we are finding out that he just likes the 3-4 and runs it no matter what. That is the bigger problem.
Harry Dunne
If you want to cancel Durkin, then you've got to cancel the Junction boys too.
javajaws
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

Can't wait to see us line up with three DLs against bama.

It'll be a blood bath.
A blood bath would require us to put up some sort of fight.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Harry Dunne
Not really. It would just require us to bleed a lot.

But even that at this point I'm not confident we can do well.
Barnacle
AG
tpk8775 said:

Why would we hire the Ole Miss DC…they are clearly an offensive minded team.

Maybe his bend don't break mentality forces mistakes when your team is up 21 because your offense is great… but it ain't working when you offense doesn't score until the second half.

Damnit...this makes too much sense....ugh.
rootube
AG
I think we're past the point where you do a background check and pretend to be outraged. That process is before you hire him and give him a fat contact.
Sterling82
I don't mind what Durkin puts up on first and second downs. With our offense floundering though, he's got to take more chances on 3rd downs and get the defense off the field. If we get burned, so be it. We can't afford to keep allowing these exhausting drives even if they end up with 3 or 0 points.
MaroonStain
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Not really. It would just require us to bleed a lot.

But even that at this point I'm not confident we can do well.

There is plenty of bleeding in this site these days...
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Durkin forever has my respect as the coach who utterly embarrassed Tom Herman in the 2018 season by defeating the horns with a bad team after said horns had a pizza party during the weather delay
spherical
AG
Ahh the pretend call-in radio guy. That's really humorous and not at all in the same vein as "I put on my wizard cloak" tinder guy.
dcg4403
AG
DM44 said:

How teams did with DJ Durkin as HC and DC:

2013 DC Florida / 4-8
2014 DC Florida / 7-5
2015 DC Michigan / 10-3
2016 HC Maryland / 6-7
2017 HC Maryland / 4-8
2018 HC Maryland / 5-7
2019 Consultant in NFL
2020 Co-DC Ole Miss / 5-5
2021 Co-DC Ole Miss / 10-3

Oh, Jesus. I didnt realize this. I was stupid enough to "trust in Jimbo".

How all those saying "trust in Jimbo" look like a bunch of idiots. I am starting to believe all the negativity about Jimbo and all the warnings over the last few years. Not sure what we have anymore. Jimbo has barely changed as a coach in the last 20 years. Game has passed him by.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Beat the sips twice with Maryland's minimal resources?
Succeeded under an offensive HC who won't protect the defense and has to live in the portal?

Have not looked into the other numbers, but the analysis offered has been light.
pasquale
AG
https://www.si.com/college/tamu/football/tamu-defensive-coordinator-ole-miss-dj-durkin-football-mike-elko-jimbo-fisher-news
GigEmReggie
Quote:

A&M coach Jimbo Fisher made it clear that the 4-2-5 scheme would remain intact regardless of defensive coordinator.
"Defensive coordinators don't bring in new schemes," Fisher said last month. "You ain't changing everything. We're going to run what we run.
"Recruits know the system is going to stay the same and four of your assistants are going to stay the same."
Forgot the used car salesman told us this.
ned911
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Durkin forever has my respect as the coach who utterly embarrassed Tom Herman in the 2018 season by defeating the horns with a bad team after said horns had a pizza party during the weather delay
Except Durkin wasn't coaching that team. He was suspended about 3 weeks before and Matt Canada was the interim HC. My son started at OC for the missing man formation on the first play then moved to guard for most of the game (some snaps at center). He played the entire 2017 game at center.
FTA Class of 1988
AgCat93
AG
What would Bob Davie do in his prime with the athletes the Ags currently have?

Colonel A. 1976
AG
He has a win percentage of 52% on teams he was a coach...Oh Boy that's great!
Col. A 1976
Whatthefunyo
Whenever we hire a coach, the very first thing I look at is their W/L column. When we hired Mazzone, Durkin, Spavital, I have been underwhelmed and it's proven out just like the numbers predicted.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
GigEmReggie said:

Quote:

A&M coach Jimbo Fisher made it clear that the 4-2-5 scheme would remain intact regardless of defensive coordinator.
"Defensive coordinators don't bring in new schemes," Fisher said last month. "You ain't changing everything. We're going to run what we run.
"Recruits know the system is going to stay the same and four of your assistants are going to stay the same."

Jimbo also said after the State game (paraphrasing)... "you have to affect the QB, you have to pressure the QB", yet we went with a D scheme that was intended to NOT do that, just as we did vs. Miami and Pig.

Any defense that is not predicated on putting pressure on the OL and QB is not worth a s***.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.